The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2011, 05:04 PM   #101
chad64chevy

Re: 66 c10 first timer build

so what have you got done lately?? then i did my trailer arm bushings i just burned them out, then cleaned the metal sleeves in it! i did install poly bushings, i had to reuse the metal sleeves! what springs did you get for the back?
chad64chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:06 PM   #102
williamsboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad64chevy View Post
so what have you got done lately?? then i did my trailer arm bushings i just burned them out, then cleaned the metal sleeves in it! i did install poly bushings, i had to reuse the metal sleeves! what springs did you get for the back?
Yea, ive been busy, im in the middle of buying my first house so its taking alot of my spare time. The only thing is just getting them bushings out and i started cleaning up on some of the stock rear shock mounts. I did the same thing i burned them out then cut the sleeve out, i got the rubber stock replacements and they had the sleeve on them allready.. I was told over time poly will start to sqeek. The springs are just stock from brothers trucks.

Thanks for seeing whats up!
williamsboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:30 PM   #103
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsboys View Post
Yea, ive been busy, im in the middle of buying my first house so its taking alot of my spare time.
Super congrats on the house!!
It took almost 6 months for me to get into my first one.
We own 3 houses in 3 different states, and 14 acres in Washington now.
All I can say is that it does get easier.

Wait until you spend your first night in it after they give you the keys, nothing beats that feeling that you own it !!

Sadly you will also feel it the first time you have to fix something too... but that is later

I also saw spray cans of that hammered paint you did your frame in ..... I could not picture it in the photos, but now I have a better idea of what you were shooting for with that. Cool way to "patina" texture your frame man. I almost bought some on principal.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:52 PM   #104
williamsboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
Super congrats on the house!!
It took almost 6 months for me to get into my first one.
We own 3 houses in 3 different states, and 14 acres in Washington now.
All I can say is that it does get easier.

Wait until you spend your first night in it after they give you the keys, nothing beats that feeling that you own it !!

Sadly you will also feel it the first time you have to fix something too... but that is later

I also saw spray cans of that hammered paint you did your frame in ..... I could not picture it in the photos, but now I have a better idea of what you were shooting for with that. Cool way to "patina" texture your frame man. I almost bought some on principal.
hey thanks man on the house, yea we cant wait. I actually used the spray cans on the hammered paint, i guess it didnt hammer up due to the primer that we had sprayed on the frame, cuase i painted some other just bear metal stuff and it looked awesome. but you win some you loose some, this is my first build so im learning as i go.

Thanks again!
Old 12-24-2011, 07:38 PM   #105
williamsboys

So im in oklahoma visiting family ans i found i real nice hood and a good door that just has some mirror hardware holes that wood need to be filled. He wants 200 is that a good deal or should i pass?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-24-2011, 10:57 PM   #106
allaboutchevelles

If the hood is real straight and minor rust I would get it!! Hoods in good shape are getting hard to find. Most the ones I see are going for 150 to 300 dollars in good shape. Same for the doors. I would check out the bottom of the door and the bottom corners real good and make sure no one has filled in rust holes with bondo. Anyways if you need them and there in good shape I would jump all over it.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:19 AM   #107
duallyjams

200 is a super santa deal MERRY CHRISTMAS

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:28 AM   #108
chad64chevy

i agree with allabout, it depends how bad you need them and or if you can fix urs cheaper! but if the hood an door is good go for it, look in the underside of the hood in the corners an the creases and like allabout said about bondo! somethings look good til you look at the otherside! good luck an keep us posted maybe a picture or two even!! and have a merry christmas!
chad64chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:33 PM   #109
williamsboys

Well i went back and really looked over the dr and the hood and there not all that great. The hood looked real good with no rust or bondo but if i rubbed my hand across the top there were waves in the metal? I dont know how you would fix that. But anyways it will be a while till i start on the body so it will look then or just try to repair man.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #110
williamsboys

so while i was visiting my mom back home i found a guy out by her that had a whole bunch of toys out front, he wouldnt sell me anything but i was able to look around and snap a few pics.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #111
williamsboys

also while i was out my dad bought a new high rise intake for our 59, also a new front end for the motor, we should have all back together tomorrow. here is what it did look like and then with the new intake.[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

i will post more pics once its all together.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #112
duallyjams

Should have got your girl to sweet talk him. LOL

65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto

IG duallyjams

Old 01-01-2012, 11:04 PM   #113
williamsboys

yea, haha i hold to talk the guy into just letting us look at the stuff. he was real old and in an electric wheel chair, couldnt do a whole lot with the stuff. It crazy how there is so much awesome stuff out there just rotting away in some ones pasture or out on there land. I feel they should let it go and let someone else enjoy it before it rust down to the ground.

But what ever, its always nice to go look at that kind of stuff.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:58 PM   #114
C@rnut001

It is too bad that the guy won't sell anything.... it always seems that after people are gone, then it is gotten rid of....all too often to some junk dealer who crushes it all and then it is gone for good. I have seen that happen too many times....
C@rnut001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:50 PM   #115
allaboutchevelles

That red truck on the left in the pic looks pretty good. Getting anything done on yours lately?
Old 01-03-2012, 01:31 AM   #116
williamsboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutchevelles View Post
That red truck on the left in the pic looks pretty good. Getting anything done on yours lately?
Yea the red one was real nice.

Ive been on vacation the past week or so, I started to reassemble the front a arms and every thing and put one side on the frame, but now at work im starting overnights so that going to goof up my schedule also for the next few weeks, also in the middle of getting my house closed on. So i got alot going on right now thats keeping me from it but ill get back too at asap.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:36 AM   #117
williamsboys

im sorta tempted to put the all the body back on before i fix all the rust on it and before its painted, just so we can enjoy it, its going to take alot of time and money on the body that we dont have and especially since we are getting a house we are really going to be spending more on the house instead of on the truck, so we are thinking about rapping up the frame getting the tranny and installing everything then dropping the body back on so we can enjoy it for a while till we are financially stable enough to finish the body. Any thoughts on that or any advice?
Old 01-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #118
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsboys View Post
im sorta tempted to put the all the body back on before i fix all the rust on it and before its painted, just so we can enjoy it, its going to take alot of time and money on the body that we dont have and especially since we are getting a house we are really going to be spending more on the house instead of on the truck, so we are thinking about rapping up the frame getting the tranny and installing everything then dropping the body back on so we can enjoy it for a while till we are financially stable enough to finish the body. Any thoughts on that or any advice?
In the long run, that is probably prudent.
Your first house is like your first baby... you go hog wild pampering and spoiling it which = $$$ and time dumping. Its Ok, it is a natural reaction. Just be careful though on such a vagary when setting a goal on "when we are financially stable". Chances are, what will happen (because you are dealing with another person here) once you see a light at the end of the tunnel then comes the wedding..... then comes the actual first baby.... then maybe another.... and before you know it... it has been 10 or 15 or 20 years (no exaggeration) before you can get the truck back into the garage and finished.

By then though everything you have done now, you will have to do over again on top of it all.

That is .... as long as you dont have a conversation that starts with "I am pregnant, I think we should sell the truck......."

I am in no way being glib or funny.
Just saying, that at 48 years old, I been down that path.

Your trucks best chance for survival may be a conversation that starts with "Honey I love you so much that I think it would be really really cool if we drove away from the chapel in that truck....all nice and restored. Man that would make some AWESOME wedding pics!!"

Then there is some serious sentimental value on the rig, and the first converstation is less likely to happen.

So there it is.... you asked.
Good luck man in whatever you decide to do!!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #119
duallyjams

Sounds like a good idea that way you can use the truck and enjoy it with out loosing interest in it. A new house will consume you more then you think something always need to done.

65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto

IG duallyjams

Old 01-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #120
allaboutchevelles

Thats what happened to me. I use to love driving my chevelle, hanging at the dragstrip running it on friday nights. then I started dating my wife as of now and got married and got my house and the chevelle was put on the back burner. I built myself the shop you see in my pics on my build. So after all that I started back tinkering on the chevelle and I got that "IM PREGNANT" statement. so make a long story short my chevelle is still tore down for the past 7 years and now Im messing with my 64 C10. So after 4 kids and im 34 im still trying to get my 2 rides put togather. So life is headed your way. LOL
Old 01-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #121
williamsboys

thanks guys for all the input. I can at least say me and courtney are equally wanting this truck done but maybe just not the 100% like we thought, this is are first build so maybe we learn from this one and then do are next one top notch. we are still wanting this think awesome i just think the body work is going to have to wait a lil longer then thought. When i said i will be putting more money into the house i didnt mean fixin it up i just ment the mortgage. We are just staying with my dad now so we have had a lil extra to put in the truck.

But all is well thank you guys so much for the advice i know you guys have been threw i, im only 24 and im just getting started.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #122
williamsboys

finally got some work done today, it was just me so i had to use all sorts of tie downs to compress my springs to get the front assembly on but it worked well, and now i got the front rolling!!!!!!!
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #123
allaboutchevelles

looks good, what size are those tires in the pic?
Old 01-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #124
williamsboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutchevelles View Post
looks good, what size are those tires in the pic?
255/70/15
Old 01-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #125
williamsboys

well not much done but i did get the shocks installed on the front today.

next i will be working on the trailing arms, i need to clean them all up and paint them, and install the new bushings i got.

then ill move to the rear end, i want to open it up and see what gears im running and maybe get a new cover, but i dont know on the cover yet.