The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2018, 12:54 AM   #26
Ghost's68

Re: And so it begins! Ghost's 68 project

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
Ask and you shall receive my friend! Lol working on more now
Ghost's68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:01 AM   #27
Ghost's68

Here’s the LS3 just about stripped down. I don’t think I got much pics of the short block but while it was ripped apart I did end up cleaning the pistons. I had the time so did it anyways.

Some random goodies as they arrived...

Last edited by Ghost's68; 04-29-2018 at 01:17 AM.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:29 AM   #28
Ghost's68

Here is the bay after I pulled the old 5.3 with the 4l60e out from it.

I got it all prepped for rattle can paint soon after. Decreased it, scrubbed the crap out of. Had a lot of built up oil, grease and dirt.

Coat of primer then a few coats of the hot rod black. Similar to a matte black

Old 04-29-2018, 01:41 AM   #29
Ghost's68

Ordered up a CTS-V oil pan and was sent a F-body style pan instead. Took a second to figure out. Called up PSI and let them know and they sent the correct one after shipping the wrong one back. As you can see, the f-body pickup tube won’t work with the LS3/CTSV windage tray.

Old 04-29-2018, 01:58 AM   #30
Ghost's68

Here’s a small preview of the brake lines with AN fittings. I had a buddy come over and bend them up for me. Dude knocked it out quick. Hooked him up by getting him some fixtures for his lathe.

Here’s the engine after getting the heads, cam, springs, oil pump, etc.... all put back together. Check out the wrinkle black though! I think it looks good with the bare aluminum black. I didn’t want to paint the block so left it natural. I think it looks good.

Old 04-29-2018, 02:15 AM   #31
Ghost's68

Mating up the engine and trans to install into the truck complete.

Here they are sitting in the truck. I was able to slide the power train all the way back the most I could go with the DD sliders. Give me plenty room upfront and should help with the balance of the truck. I read even a 1” setback does wonders to the feel of a vehicle.

I originally ordered the POL stands, but when I went to install them, I didn’t like how they didn’t sit flush and I had to drill new mounting holes. So I started looking online and found the CPP stands were pretty much a drop in fit. Also read they help with header clearance. Only thing o don’t like is the height. They sit pretty tall and this caused me to have to shim the trans up to get my alignment correct.

I had ordered the Holley alt bracket relocater kit but when it arrived I started reading the instructions and found out I had to swap out the alternator to a different one. This caused me issues since I had the vintage wiring harness made up for the Camaro alternator. I would have also had to swap out the PS pump and reservoir. I said eff it and threw the engine in with out the acc installed. Once in place I was actually able to get them to tuck in and nicely with good clearance. No notching or clear ending required and I didn’t have to buy more parts. Lol
Old 04-30-2018, 08:56 PM   #32
Ghost's68

Once engine and trans were in and in final position. I went ahead and threw the whole front end with the new Brothers truck radiator support. Got my new Entropy radiator installed and started to try and figure out where I wanted to put its temp/fan controller. It’s not very bulky but I just didn’t care for having wiring all over the place. I was able to find a pretty cool neat tucked away spot for it. Fright below the battery tray. As you can see in the pic it’s cleanly out of the way and still easy to get too. Didn’t have to drill holes either. I just used a provision on the support that was all ready there.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:48 PM   #33
Ghost's68

After reading a lot on what long tubes work with the LS swaps I decided to give the Kooks for the TBSS a go! Ordered them on Saturday and had them at my door by Monday (today). I also ordered new GM MLS exhaust manifold gaskets as well as ARP header studs.

As many have had issues trying to install them with 4l80’s I ran into the same issue. The headers hit the trans ear. So I ended up just hacking off the amount needed to clear. I did have to file it after a bit to get a bit more clearance as it was really close and didn’t want them tapping.

Here they are installed. Really good clearance and no other modifications were needed.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:28 PM   #34
cornerstone

Thanks for the picture overload Lots of work done in these! Shes gonna be a beast
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:38 AM   #35
Ghost's68

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
Thanks for the picture overload Lots of work done in these! Shes gonna be a beast
A lot of pics all at once since I wanted to post updates for most of the work I’ve been doing since. Now they will just be regular updates. Is it weird I just want to hear this thing brap brap braping? Lol

Takes me longer to do things since I have this weird obsession with doing a lot of reviewing on everything I do. Since most of what’s being done is new to me and have no experience doing, I like to make sure it’s done right and I don’t mess anything up. Lol
Old 05-01-2018, 02:15 PM   #36
cornerstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost's68 View Post
A lot of pics all at once since I wanted to post updates for most of the work I’ve been doing since. Now they will just be regular updates. Is it weird I just want to hear this thing brap brap braping? Lol

Takes me longer to do things since I have this weird obsession with doing a lot of reviewing on everything I do. Since most of what’s being done is new to me and have no experience doing, I like to make sure it’s done right and I don’t mess anything up. Lol
You ask is it weird? For this crowd I would venture to say it’s the norm... but my dirt bikes go brrraaap brrraaaap , and my v8 goes rumble rumble. 😊 well hopefully in the not to distant future.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:36 PM   #37
Ghost's68

Got the drive side header in yesterday. Did have to modify the trans ear and a small bit of the block to fit the driver side. Over all, it went in a lot smoother then the passenger side.

I purchased a Painless classics wire loom. Looks tons better then plastic stuff you usually see. I’m going to try and tuck it behind the fender so it’s not just hanging in the engine bay. I have to still finishing the hot wire from the battery, just waiting on some packard 56 connectors.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:09 PM   #38
Ghost's68

Progress is been a bit slow. I’ve been busy elsewhere and waiting on some small loose ends.

Been working on getting all my wiring cleaned up. As you can see most of the wiring has been wrapped in the painless classic loom. Stuff look 100% better then the plastic stuff. I was able to re-use some off the positive battery cables that came with my LS. So I used a 4g to run from the alternator back to the batter, reusing what appears to be a 00 wires for the starter, and used 1gauge for all the negative cables. Set up to ground from battery to block, then used those wires braided cable to ground head to block then ground block to frame.

Also for my intake I was able to get the -3 AN and MAF mount welded on. I’ve been waiting almost two weeks for my Mighty Mouse Solutions catchcan to arrive. Was told hopefully this week it should ship. For my intake I ordered up a 45* bend section of tubing and will try and get it measured up to put my filter element right behind the drive side headlight. I’ll also be installing a heat cover around it too to try and avoid any heat soak and also to block any water the tires might kick up

Still trying to decide how/where to mount my Derale trans cooler though
Old 05-24-2018, 03:39 PM   #39
Tork?

Any pics of how low the headers hang with your drop kit?
Tork? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:11 PM   #40
Ghost's68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tork? View Post
Any pics of how low the headers hang with your drop kit?
I’m running stock crossmember just on a ECE 4/6 spring spindle drop. You can see they tuck really nicely. Driver side has about 8” and passenger has around 9” clearance.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:34 PM   #41
Ghost's68

I was able to get my radiator hoses and belt situation all figured out. Took some measurements and went out to the store to try and find a hose that would work. After about an hour and two different places I was able to get hoses that I could use. I did have to trim the ends to fit as both were to long. I also ended up using some T-Bolt clamps to hold them in place. The standard ring worm type in my opinion look ugly and suck. They strip out easy too.

One of the most annoying things to figure out was my belt length. For one not all manufactures use the same methods to list belt lengths. So after 4 belts I found the correct belt length. I went with the Continental Elite V-band belt. Placed my tensioner in the center of the hi low marks. Just where I wanted them. The other belts would put me either past or just on either marks.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:37 PM   #42
Ghost's68

My MM catch can showed up and got it installed. I went with the LS head mounting setup as I liked how it sat there. It’s a really nice piece. I also got my intake all done and painted it all black and installed. Also worked on checking my wiring to make sure I had power and continunity where I needed. The old battery was bad so I opted for an Optima red top battery. Just need to install my trans cooler, gas tank, run some trans/fuel lines and I should be able to fire her up.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:08 AM   #43
Tork?

Nice progress! Did the catch can come with the black push lock fittings or did you add them on? Also did you try the stock plug boots with the Kooks? I've heard stock LS3 wires don't fit some headers. I have an ls3 in the garage gathering parts so been following your build
Tork? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 03:14 PM   #44
Ghost's68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tork? View Post
Nice progress! Did the catch can come with the black push lock fittings or did you add them on? Also did you try the stock plug boots with the Kooks? I've heard stock LS3 wires don't fit some headers. I have an ls3 in the garage gathering parts so been following your build
When you buy the MM kit it does come with the two pushlock fittings you see. It also comes with about two feet of standard hose. I ended up buying the XRP pushlock house since I think it looked pretty cool.

I don’t think you should run into any issues with the stock boots. There is really good clearance next to the boots. I can see maybe having to remove the metal boot protector maybe. Hope to see your stuff come together soon dude.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:47 AM   #45
Ghost's68

I got my Boyd’s fuel cell installed and lines ran. Decided to mount the corvette FPR right next to the tank as it seemed like a good spot. Got my wiring to my pump all hooked up as well. My modern vintage wiring came with fuel pump wire and relay. Super nice harness I must add.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:51 AM   #46
Ghost's68

One of the biggest pains to figure out was my Derale trans cooler! Due to the size of this 40row cooler I wasn’t able to put it anywhere under the bed and I really didn’t want to run it up by the radiator so I had my buddy who is a fabricator come over and we came up with these brackets that were needed. I went with right under the passenger side of the cab. Mounted to the outside of the frame and tucked in nicely. Running the lines through frame via bulk head. Super happy how it came out.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:46 PM   #47
halfstep

Great looking project and nice execution/attention to detail.
Couple of questions...
How is the Modern Vintage wiring harness? Anything you liked or didn't like about it? and did you re-wire the rest of the truck. looking at the ModVintage site, he appears to have a c10 focus and integrates with AAW and Dakota Digital. i'm curious if he has a routing pattern for our c10's thats particularly neat or helpful or is it just a quality harness that looks neater because half the stock components are deleted.
Also what cam did you put in your LS3?
Thanks.
halfstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:46 PM   #48
Ghost's68

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfstep View Post
Great looking project and nice execution/attention to detail.
Couple of questions...
How is the Modern Vintage wiring harness? Anything you liked or didn't like about it? and did you re-wire the rest of the truck. looking at the ModVintage site, he appears to have a c10 focus and integrates with AAW and Dakota Digital. i'm curious if he has a routing pattern for our c10's thats particularly neat or helpful or is it just a quality harness that looks neater because half the stock components are deleted.
Also what cam did you put in your LS3?
Thanks.
The Modern Vintage wiring harness is a really nice piece. When I called the guys up to place my order you can customize how every you want. They are super helpful and are willing to tailor it to your likes and needs. Super cool guys. Also since I follow them on IG, I’ve literally messaged them maybe 5-6 times with questions and they quickly respond with answers. Super helpful guys.

They have C-10’s and they do seem to focus on swaps for our trucks. When I got my harness I just got the standalone but was asked if I wanted to incorporate it with the body harness. At the time I said no but In retrospect I should have done it and redid my wiring. As far as the Dakota Digital gauges and my swap I currently did that upgrade and I’m just using the BIM module to read the ECU data. I think it’s cleaner then having to use DD wiring and sensors. I’m actually going to be updating this thread with my gauge swap.

My cam is a custom speced cam through Pat G and ground up by Texas speed. Cam is close to a BTR stage 3. Any other questions feel free to ask.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:04 PM   #49
halfstep

Thanks. I'm not at that point yet, but it's good to get some hands on feed back. They sound like a good way to go for the harness. Always curious about cams - interesting how many people get custom cams now. Like the silver color on your truck too. Looks good and is not very common.
halfstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:00 AM   #50
TruDom

nice build.
i like that wrinkle black finish. is that from a rattle can?
TruDom is offline   Reply With Quote