The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2017, 01:14 PM   #26
b.sharp

Re: My '67 Chevy C20 "Camper Special" Build

I have a question. It looks like you retained the 8 lug front wheels. Did you put new disk brake rubber lines on the front? These have been hard to find by a lot of people. I have a '71 8 lug disk setup to go on my '70 but haven't made the switch due to not being able to locate the right brake hoses. Where did you purchase all your new disk brake stuff from?

Thank you, Nice work on the truck so far.
b.sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 03:49 PM   #27
DJ_Baar

b. sharp,

I used 1970 GMC disk brakes and made them work.

The front flex lines were custom made. In Line Tube does wonderful job at working with Customer.

Your later model should be easier for them as it should have routing to front of vice rear as my original A-Arms and cross member did.

DJ
DJ_Baar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:51 AM   #28
DJ_Baar

Started drip rail rust repair. Passenger side the WORST again. Removed drip rail with with spot weld cutter, and used grinder and wire wheel to clean-out as much as possible. Very little seam sealer left in place. removed with screw driver and razor then more wire wheel. Cleaned and put a rust reformer on to get what rust I couldn't. Washed this morning and later a Rust Reformer Primer. Put new drip rails on next weekend. For now back to engine tear-down.
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2017, 04:52 PM   #29
Chumly223

67 is my favorite year you've done a lot of work keep it up
Chumly223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:42 AM   #30
DJ_Baar

Got TH400 Transmission back for "Blue" ('67 Chevy C20) - it was due ... burnt band & clutches, leaked everywhere. Replaced pump, valve body, modulator, ..., left paint for me. Saved $100 before tax, still just shy of $1500! Should I paint black or Chevy Orange like the engine block (in-work).
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2017, 05:44 PM   #31
DJ_Baar

Got transmission cleaned and painted. just need engine machine work done to get that back in work and back in truck.
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2017, 05:47 PM   #32
DJ_Baar

Finally got the drip rails removed, rust repaired, new drip rails installed and starting on roof top paint. There was rust deep up under drip rails and around top of windshield in the corners. Even after treating and painting inside, still had thin rusted areas worn thru that needed welding, grinding, and epoxy putty repairs. Very LITTLE seam sealer was left in this 50-year-old truck drip rail. Part of reason so much rust found to be repaired. A LOT of work, but I think it will be worth it.

R/
DJ
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2017, 09:35 PM   #33
builtbyKane

Great job. It's always the small things that take forever that no one will ever notice or even care about you doing it. But we care.
builtbyKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:46 PM   #34
DJ_Baar

Trying to decide what to do or not about these holes around back window & more below for something that was mounted like handles (spacing)? I know the snaps are for a camper boot ... truck is a "Camper Special." Thoughts?

Looks like I will be removing them and spot welding the holes.

R/
DJ
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2017, 10:28 PM   #35
builtbyKane

It's not fun but just get into it and you will be done in no time and glad you did.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:15 AM   #36
DJ_Baar

Thank you for the feedback builtbyKane. the older I get (& I already have a grey beard) the more patience I have learned.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:13 PM   #37
DJ_Baar

Before & in-work after having removed rear window snaps (for camper boot "Camper Special") & filling a whole lotta holes.

DJ
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2017, 04:35 PM   #38
DJ_Baar

Blue paint is laying down OK in cab. Paint in driveway then sits in garage with fans on it. Ceiling is metallic pearl mist white like roof. More pix as it comes back together rust free & a few upgrades. Doors still off and will need a little rust removal, but not bad. Got 1st couple coats of clear on cab "patina"even though most will be covered by truck bed.

DJ
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2017, 09:01 PM   #39
DJ_Baar

After a couple weekends getting new rain gutters sealed. A messy problem with a LOT of touch-up, but finally got all the air pockets out. I then decided to make 'em blue & just leave roof white. (You paint over gutter sealant.) After this dries, tomorrow wet sanding roof again to make only roof white with the blue gutters & around front window to match doors.

DJ
Attached Images

Old 12-25-2017, 09:16 PM   #40
DJ_Baar

Got roof wet sanded again while Wife at work today. After totally dry, mask, prime little bits of bare metal, then put white down again leaving gutters & front blue. Time & patience required to complete this project.

DJ
Attached Images

Old 12-25-2017, 09:19 PM   #41
DJ_Baar

After getting all masked, did touch-up primer, & initial coat of white pearl mist on roof. If not too cold or wet, will get another coat or 2 of white, then clear coat tomorrow.

DJ
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2018, 12:43 PM   #42
DJ_Baar

Picked-up short block. Block thoroughly cleaned, bored, & honed for new .030 over pistons, (now a 355 ci,) new Eagle crank balanced; basically all that was salvaged of original 350 four bolt main Gen I SBC is the block. Back on engine stand in garage. Then cleaned, primed & painted "Blue's" engine block. Edelbrock cam, lifters, intake & misc. parts ready to go in build. Yes, Chevy orange with aluminum & black parts & accessories ....

Attached Images

Old 03-19-2018, 01:05 PM   #43
DJ_Baar

Getting the "Great Pumpkin" (355 Gen 1 SBC) together ... TH400 trans done. Blue's 355 SBC is taking time. Just getting the pushrod guide plates right has been a slow process to get right (min .oo5" clearance to heads & guide plate & center rollers on valve stems). Must have taken them apart three times or more a pair (per cylinder). Zero lash isn't too bad, all new parts. Need to get 'er right, to minimize adjustments after getting this "pumpkin" running. Then had trouble with primer tool. It would not hold pressure and prime. Note the blue "Scorpion" was too long, the silver one is Jegs and worked fine.

Attached Images

Old 03-19-2018, 01:18 PM   #44
DJ_Baar

Finally got 355 SBC engine in Blue today with a little help from my Friends AJ & Jason. Truck is slowly coming back together now, exhaust next then bed back on.

Yes, I am that bearded wonder.

Attached Images

Old 03-20-2018, 07:34 PM   #45
builtbyKane

Haven't checked on this build in a while. Some fantastic progress. The motor looks perfect and great job on the driveway paint job. Keep rock n rollin
Old 03-23-2018, 07:37 PM   #46
DJ_Baar

Got exhaust & a few other things installed today. LUV the new 2.5" pipes and CHERRY BOMB VORTEX mufflers!

Attached Images

Old 03-24-2018, 08:01 PM   #47
DJ_Baar

Got bed back on truck today with some help. Need to make room for my trike and now to help a friend upgrade his Harley too.

Decided to go with 45 bend in exhaust and out in front of but beyond rear tires Ordered the bends.

Then isolated transmission leak after we had put five quarts of oil in it (1.5 in new torque converter). I specifically explained I did not remove that before dropping-off the transmission for complete rebuild ($1500), because too tight and didn't want to break the shifter. Expected to bring truck bye Shop for follow-up when installed back in truck and take in for alignment of new steering ....

Attached Images

Old 03-25-2018, 06:22 PM   #48
68Gold/white

Yeah, I have never been foolish enough to try to remove one of those shift shaft nuts, either. I've got a couple to rebuild, I will use a nut- buster on them. It splits the nut.l
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:02 PM   #49
DJ_Baar

That's a GREAT idea! Have you repaired that? Is it just a seal that needs to be replaced?

It will be a while before I get this all together and running yet. Plan is by summer with major work complete and just small stuff I can do while driving it when not riding trike. This is planned to be my "daily driver" and needed for home projects (truck lumber, etc...). So happy to be on backside of this and coming back together now. And room in garage again! Glad I have a workshop for storage of what is still coming together like large body parts.

Much more to come as I have also have more questions for those experienced with these square bodies. (I have built a few Hot Rods and Harley's over the years, even a '53 Chevy 5 Window PU X wife has.) I enjoy sharing this build and all of the feedback, good and bad is welcome - that's how we learn and do better.

Attached Images

Last edited by DJ_Baar; 03-25-2018 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Missed a couple thoughts to share
Old 03-25-2018, 08:28 PM   #50
Orange67

I have to repair very similar rust on my cab also. Great job, everything looks awesome. At first I wasn't sure I'd like it when you wrote that you were painting the inside of the roof white, but once I saw it, AWESOME! Beautiful work, and nice trike too!

'67 C20 CST Custom Camper
'04.5 LLY Duramax CCSB...sold
Orange67 is offline   Reply With Quote