The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-04-2020, 11:43 AM   #326
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

Have a great 4th in your lawn chair. I have the same plan.....

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 07:35 PM   #327
swamp rat

I know what you mean, i haven't spent a penny on fireworks since i was in my 20’s, besides the rest of the neighborhood spends money on them for me 😏

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 04:53 PM   #328
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduckworth13 View Post
Have a good 4th Vic! Give Russ a call, he’d be more than happy to tow it back for you. Try and talk him out of the GTO while your at it, I’d love to see that car done by you.
Thanks, Scott. If I drag home another project, I may have to move in with you and Katina.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Have a great 4th in your lawn chair. I have the same plan.....
Thanks, Dale. We watched from the deck until the skeeters ran us back inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
I know what you mean, i haven't spent a penny on fireworks since i was in my 20’s, besides the rest of the neighborhood spends money on them for me 😏
Hey Mike, hope all is well with you. We enjoyed watching the show but knew the front yard would be full of cardboard detritus the next morning. However, much to my surprise, one of our neighbors was out early with a leaf blower cleaning the yards and driveways near his house. I was impressed by his display of responsibility. The news showed some area parks where people just walked away and left huge amounts of trash. But at least we didn't suffer the same fate.

So, a couple of developments... First, as I was getting ready to call HRE about the (lack of) progress on the wagon, their FB page had an update. They'd lifted the body back off the chassis, moved the notch in the firewall over 2" and welded in a patch. Looked great, but I was worried whether I still had room to hang the a/c evaporator. So I made a quick trip down there with my parts to take some measurements. Much to my relief, it looked like I still have plenty of clearance (1/2" - 1") for the bracket. There's now plenty of room for the passenger side coil cover and even better access for the trans dipstick. The body is back down on the chassis and they're shimming all the body mounts before tightening them. Once that's done, they'll hang the front clip and turn it over to the body man. There were at least four cars gone from the shop, so for the time being at least, they have some working space. Don't know how long that will last, but I'm hopeful they'll continue to forge ahead on mine.

The other thing that happened is, that after four months, I finally received the grille bar from the outfit that does the spray chrome. To be honest, I was underwhelmed. I know that once it gets on the car, the part that people see when they walk by will look okay from 5 or 10 feet. However, up close, it's not what I was hoping for. The upper surface above the horizontal body line had a lot of orange peel and dust nibs. There was also some light scuffs that probably came from shipping. But the real horror show was below the body line. Much of that surface has a distinct "frosted" appearance. That area doesn't really show unless you squat down and look at it head on, right in front of the car, but it's still pretty rude looking. I called him today after emailing a photo of the problem. He told me right away it was caused by high humidity and the various remedies each have drawbacks. He offered to have me send it back and he would redo it, but that it would be best to wait until the fall when the humidity was much lower.

So now I have to decide what to do. I'll probably install it when the time comes and see how it looks and go from there. I was able to polish out the scuff marks so it looks a little better. When I showed it to Kathy, she said, "You have that sign in your shop that says Good, Fast, Cheap - Pick Two, but you didn't even get one for this deal."
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 06:32 PM   #329
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Good news on the car....but that sucks about the the chrome spray...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:35 AM   #330
Ol Blue K20

Wow, I thought the chrome spray was supposed to be great stuff.

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 07-10-2020, 05:36 PM   #331
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Good news on the car....but that sucks about the the chrome spray...
Amen to both, Greg. We'll see if I can fine tune the grille bar.
Quote:
Wow, I thought the chrome spray was supposed to be great stuff.
I think under the right circumstances it can be, Dale, but it would appear poor choices and bad timing led to a substandard result. I'll know better if I ever go that route again.

The wood deck outside our kitchen has deteriorated to the point it needs some TLC. Kathy's sister recommended a handyman and we got a bid to repair it but it was more than I wanted to spend. I have this problem where I compare the cost of almost everything to car parts. I can't help thinking that if I do something (plumbing, electrical, carpentry, painting, etc.) myself I can buy this that or the next thing for my current project with the money I save. So, I went to the lumber yard and bought the materials I need and worked on it until about 11 this morning when it started to get really hot. At this rate it will take several days, but that's okay.

This afternoon, I did a bit more on the box that will sit in front of the console. It houses the stereo head unit and a pair of speakers as well as the a/c controls. I need to take the front and sides to HRE and test fit them to determine the angle the sides need for welding. When the box is done, I'll have the upholstery guy cover it with the same material as the console lid.
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2020, 12:43 PM   #332
sduckworth13

[QUOTE=Vic1947;8770383]Thanks, Scott. If I drag home another project, I may have to move in with you and Katina.

Haha! That’d be fine with us 😀
Old 07-16-2020, 04:37 PM   #333
Vic1947

Needed to make a trip down to HRE to take some measurements for the console stereo box and was pleasantly surprised to see the wagon in one of the bays with a tech hard at work on it. The front clip is coming together nicely with only a couple of minor issues. They had done some body work on the firewall and primed the area modified for the coil cover clearance - which all looked good. They'd also done some re-work over the driver side rear wheel opening that I'd requested. I knew there was something wrong with it, so they're fixing my less than satisfactory work.

While I was there, I mocked up the three sided box the stereo components and a/c controls fit into. Then took it home and tack welded the sides on. Will go back down tomorrow (or next week sometime) and tweak it if needed.
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2020, 05:16 PM   #334
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Looking good Vic...great that they're getting with it...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
Old 07-17-2020, 05:39 PM   #335
Ol Blue K20

The box is looking great. I'm glad they're working on it. Hopefully it paint prison sentence is a short one.

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 07-20-2020, 03:55 PM   #336
Vic1947

Quote:
Looking good Vic...great that they're getting with it...
Quote:
The box is looking great. I'm glad they're working on it. Hopefully it paint prison sentence is a short one.
Thanks, guys! Hot Rod Express called this morning with a question about the car and told me they'd moved it back to the body shop and are starting to block sand it. Hopefully they stay on it and don't run into too many issues with my work. I've tried to convey to them that my goal is a nice driver and I expect it to get rock chips and muck from road trips. As such, I don't need body and paint work to the level of a top ten show car. They charge an hourly rate instead of quoting a price for the job, so you can understand they have an incentive to do as much to it as they can. At 100 hours, their rate decreases from $65 to $50 but that still adds up in a hurry.

I did some more work on the stereo "box" to the point where it's ready to be covered with leatherette material to match the console lid. It will have to wait on that for a while, though, as I need to finish the mounts for it in the car ...which isn't here.
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2020, 09:32 AM   #337
Low Elco

Looks awesome, Vic! Glad to see it going forward. Dad has a new resident at his house.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:37 PM   #338
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Looks awesome, Vic! Glad to see it going forward. Dad has a new resident at his house.
Thanks Chip! Yer ole Dad dropped by with the (99% finished) beauty and I took some photos. It looks great! I have the stainless tubing we need for the upper radiator hose upgrade, so just need the existing hose as a pattern. I might be able to get close with the pics I took, but it never hurts to have the real deal on hand.

I dropped off some additional parts/hardware at HRE this week. They're about ready to lift the body off the chassis for final priming, blocking and paint. They estimate next week for that. Plan is to return the chassis to me while the body is being painted and buffed, then back to them to set the body on. Don't know if it will happen quite that quickly, but I'm hopeful. Nearly all the spots they found doing the initial blocking have been repaired. Only one door gap remains to be done.
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2020, 06:59 AM   #339
Ol Blue K20

It looks good. The front shot it looks mean.

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 07-24-2020, 11:22 AM   #340
Russell Ashley

Following along with this is exciting, LOL. I can't wait to see the next progress update, but I'm glad that you are paying the bills and not me.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 02:24 PM   #341
Vic1947

Quote:
It looks good. The front shot it looks mean.
Without the grille and bumper it looks kinda like a gasser.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
Following along with this is exciting, LOL. I can't wait to see the next progress update, but I'm glad that you are paying the bills and not me.
Thanks Russell, I may need to start a GoFundMe page before this is all over.

I'm really looking forward to having the paint completed and all my stuff back home. They've started to disassemble everything in preparation for the final priming and blocking. I'll probably have to make a run down there the first of next week to pick up parts like the rear bumper, tail lights, moldings and etc. that they won't need going forward. I need to modify the inner fenders and core support, so they won't be doing anymore to them. Consequently, they'll be coming home with me also.
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2020, 03:15 PM   #342
Low Elco

I'm diggin' that hood brace!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:25 PM   #343
Vic1947

Just a quick update...

Forward progress on the paint front has been fairly steady. Not as much done as I'd prefer, but they do have other customers too I reckon. The front clip, doors and hatch have all been blocked twice with a guide coat and are ready for paint. The body still needs to come off the chassis, then they'll return just the chassis to me at the house for a few things I need to do before reassembly.

They'll have to re-prime the body and block it like they did the removable parts. Then finally we may see some color. This whole project has gotten out of hand from a financial standpoint, so to cut some costs, I elected to forego the red two tone. Painting it solid silver will probably save several thousand dollars and get everything back to me a couple of weeks sooner. At least I hope so. I'll have to re-do the dash parts that I painted red, but that's no biggie.

I've been hacking up the inner fenderwells to remove the support ribs and flatten out the back where it attaches to the firewall. To help maintain the correct shape, I've been doing it in pieces. I used the bead roller to offset the edge and will build a removable panel out of aluminum sheet metal to fill the gaping hole (outlined in yellow) where the fresh air ducts used to be. I threw in a photo of the unmolested side for comparison with yellow arrows showing the areas I modified.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2020, 07:57 PM   #344
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Sucks about the paint budget...but itll look good no matter the color...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

Old 08-10-2020, 08:43 PM   #345
Ol Blue K20

Quote:
X2, I think it'll still be awesome looking

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 08-12-2020, 02:37 PM   #346
Vic1947

Quote:
Quote:
X2, I think it'll still be awesome looking
Thanks guys, I think the small amount of billet, the polished stainless trim and the chrome will be all the silver needs as complimentary colors. Shouldn't be too long before we find out.

HRE lifted the body off the chassis late Monday then brought the chassis to me yesterday. I'm taking a break to post on the forum after spending a considerable amount of time this morning pondering how to route the trans cooler lines. Seems like every path runs into multiple obstacles. I'd prefer to do it all in hard lines, but I may have to give in and use flex hose rated for the pressure. The last set of exhaust hangers will also be testers. No wonder I left them to do at a later date.

Talked to the shop this morning and they have the body in the paint booth masking it for primer. Hope they get it sprayed today. As far as I know, all that remains to be done after that is to apply a guide coat and block the primer. Unless something else interferes, we may see some color by next week.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:58 AM   #347
knomadd

Hey Vic, sorry to hear about the budget issues. I'm sure the car will still look great in silver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1947 View Post
I'm taking a break to post on the forum after spending a considerable amount of time this morning pondering how to route the trans cooler lines. Seems like every path runs into multiple obstacles. I'd prefer to do it all in hard lines, but I may have to give in and use flex hose rated for the pressure.
I have an idea about this... Without seeing the obstacles, I'm not sure what to suggest, but wanted to give you this option, if you don't already know about it... I've been using PTFE lined braided stainless hose for just about everything lately. It's great for fuel, oil, trans fluid, brake fluid, coolant, just about anything. It won't rot out like the standard rubber stuff, but it's definitely pricey and won't do tight bends like rubber. Obviously these are drawbacks, but from a longevity standpoint (like hard line) it's pretty darn good!

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:31 PM   #348
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
Hey Vic, sorry to hear about the budget issues. I'm sure the car will still look great in silver! I have an idea about this... Without seeing the obstacles, I'm not sure what to suggest, but wanted to give you this option, if you don't already know about it... I've been using PTFE lined braided stainless hose for just about everything lately. It's great for fuel, oil, trans fluid, brake fluid, coolant, just about anything. It won't rot out like the standard rubber stuff, but it's definitely pricey and won't do tight bends like rubber. Obviously these are drawbacks, but from a longevity standpoint (like hard line) it's pretty darn good!
Thanks, Duane! I came to somewhat the same conclusion as you but decided to order rubber lined stainless braided hose and the corresponding fittings. It's slightly less expensive than the PTFE, rated for transmission fluid and will handle the pressure. It's a bit more flexible and will easily go around the stuff that's in the way. It's supposed to be here tomorrow so I'll try to post some photos after I get it laid out.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, I sorta finished the last exhaust hangers. I say "sorta" because the Delrin I used for noise dampening may not work as I hoped. After tacking the first tab in place on the tailpipe, when I disassembled everything to make a full pass with the TiG, I noticed the heat from the tack welds caused the Delrin to melt slightly. I stopped what I was doing and looked on the Google for the melting point of Delrin which is 350 degrees. So then I got to wondering if the tailpipes would ever exceed that under a load. The closest I came to actual hard data was a graph of predicted versus actual tailpipe temps at various distances from the engine. From what I could tell it could range from 200 to 400 degrees.

Called my brother in law, Rick for advice and he pointed out that without knowing the diameter of the pipe, whether it was a single or dual exhaust and whether there was airflow over the pipe during the test there's no way to know if the results could be used to predict what will happen in my scenario. Like me, he's adverse to do-over's so the path of least resistance is to check it after going out for a spin and if the Delrin has melted away, switch to PTFE which has a melting point of 600+ degrees. I went ahead and ordered a one foot piece of PTFE rod off of eBay just to be on the safe side. I doubt HRE will need the chassis back before I get the material in and have a chance to re-machine the bushings. I guess the lesson here is to check to see if there's water in the pool before you jump.
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2020, 05:33 PM   #349
Vic1947

Pretty sure HRE got the body in primer yesterday because today, the doors, rear hatch and underside of the hood are getting color! Excited to see how they look after all this time.
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2020, 06:47 PM   #350
Ol Blue K20

Ooh.....ooh....I can't wait to see it......

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man