The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2003, 01:14 AM   #1
lost wages

transmission crossmember

would it be ok to leave the two extra supports off the auto crossmember and only use the longer main peice? I am thinking of doing this for exhaust clearance. I know they make ones similar to this for hot rods. Any reason why i shouldnt?
Attached Images

lost wages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 01:15 AM   #2
lost wages

in the pic the crossmember is backwards, i took it off today and turned it around, thats what got me wondering if the other two peices were needed.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:23 AM   #3
Shane
Account Suspended

I am only running the lower piece ... it was like that when I got the truck. I havent driven the truck in a long time (frame off in progress ), but the kid i bought it from drove it daily with no trouble.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 01:42 AM   #4
mikep
Used to have a truck

Wow, I'm all scewed up. Mine is mounted on top of the frame and I'm only using the piece that is shown. I have absolutely no idea what you guys are talking about when you are talking about the other pieces of the crossmember. All I'm running is the crossmember itself. What else is there?
Old 02-24-2003, 03:03 AM   #5
lost wages

mikep, do you have the same crossmember? the other peices are the ones that are held on by 3 bolts and are bolted to the top of the frame rail. Shane, thanks, im going to try it this way.
Old 02-24-2003, 12:57 PM   #6
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

mikep is probably a little confused because the factory crossmembers are riveted together and not bolted. Wages pulled his apart to clean and blast.

Anyway, I believe I read in a magazine somewhere that you need the upper part to provide support to the frame. Under high torque conditions (which your truck will be one day) this member provided extra support to keep the frame from flexing as much under the cab. That is why the aftermarkets members keep the upper support, they just get rid of the angled part. Your exhaust will have enough room to route between the trans and the member....

But hey! You never listen to me anyway! LOL
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 01:31 PM   #7
adamls
Gotta Startem Early

Pullem, keep the exhaust as straight as possible. Early classic has a new product which stiffens your frame in that area, so you do not have to worry about the frame stiffness. You might want to box in the crossmember to give it some more strength if your worried about. Here is the link to the frame stiffners.

http://www.earlyclassic.com/catalogpg4.html