The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2019, 03:29 PM   #1
Angrywood

Suspension question help!

I know this topic has been covered quite a bit over the years but i am unable to find some answers to my questions..... so please bare with me

I have a 62 C10 and just recently dropped the front with the torsion bars about 3 inches. Looks low enough for me for now. Ive been reading about drop spindles but if im reading it right then i would have to convert to disk brakes? Also, from dropping 3 inches do i need to change out the shock for one of the lowered shocks?

Second set of questions deals with the rear end. As of now im looking at getting the 4 inch lowering coil springs. Do i need to do anything else or just change the springs? Ive read some things about the trac bar and not sure if going 4 inches if i need to mess with that.

Thanks for the help
Attached Images

Angrywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:31 PM   #2
forestb

Re: Suspension question help!

I would say yes to new shocks in the front. If yo go with a 2 in block and a 2 in drop coil in the back you might not need new shocks. The only reason I recommend 2 inch blocks is because it will keep the coil travel closer to the original. But you will still probably need a new track bar. If you lower the truck in the rear 4 inches you can measure to see how off center from, left to right, with the tires on the ground, the rear end is. if it is not centered you probably need an adjustable one or shorten your existing one.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:42 PM   #3
verdell

I think when going with drop spindles, you would have to convert to disc brakes. As far as front shocks go, I ended up relocating the front shock mounts to accommodate a standard shock rather than going with a drop shock. Drop shocks are available though. On the rear, I first used a 4 inch drop spring but later switched to bags. Ended up building a track bar to work with my '60 frame and '65 rear axle.
verdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:55 PM   #4
Angrywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdell View Post
I think when going with drop spindles, you would have to convert to disc brakes. As far as front shocks go, I ended up relocating the front shock mounts to accommodate a standard shock rather than going with a drop shock. Drop shocks are available though. On the rear, I first used a 4 inch drop spring but later switched to bags. Ended up building a track bar to work with my '60 frame and '65 rear axle.
That’s my plan down the road is to put all four corners on bags. Just doing cheap work right now til then.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:00 PM   #5
Angrywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestb View Post
I would say yes to new shocks in the front. If yo go with a 2 in block and a 2 in drop coil in the back you might not need new shocks. The only reason I recommend 2 inch blocks is because it will keep the coil travel closer to the original. But you will still probably need a new track bar. If you lower the truck in the rear 4 inches you can measure to see how off center from, left to right, with the tires on the ground, the rear end is. if it is not centered you probably need an adjustable one or shorten your existing one.
So you would be the blocks between the trailing arms and axle?
Old 05-30-2019, 11:01 PM   #6
Angrywood

Another question.... how hard would be to cut the existing coils instead of buying new drop coils? Any problems with cutting the coils?
Old 05-30-2019, 11:51 PM   #7
forestb

Yes blocks between the trailing arms and axle. Most of the companies that sell the coils and shocks also sell blocks. When cutting the coils the problem you will run into is both ends coil smaller into pigtails that then get bolted down at both ends. If you cut one side there is no proper way of bolting it down. I know that some people have done this but I wouldn’t risk it. I have heard of people using stock Jeep springs in the rear but it was never clear to me how much it lowered it. I don’t know what year and make. You will have to do a smart search.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-31-2019, 04:08 PM   #8
Angrywood

Thank you for the info
Old 05-31-2019, 04:11 PM   #9
demian5

Just did all of this on a 60.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrywood View Post
I have a 62 C10 and just recently dropped the front with the torsion bars about 3 inches. Looks low enough for me for now. Ive been reading about drop spindles but if im reading it right then i would have to convert to disk brakes? Also, from dropping 3 inches do i need to change out the shock for one of the lowered shocks?
Yes and Yes - no other way. I installed the CPP spindles and brake kit and their shocks. Before that, the truck was half-assed with the torsion bars and the shocks were the bump stops.

If I could go back, id do a cross member swap to get coils under the truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrywood View Post
Second set of questions deals with the rear end. As of now im looking at getting the 4 inch lowering coil springs. Do i need to do anything else or just change the springs? Ive read some things about the trac bar and not sure if going 4 inches if i need to mess with that.
Get the deluxe track bar kit and lowered shocks. The lower shock mounts (if in the stock location) will need to be extended cause the lower track bar mount makes them unusable.

DM Me for any questions.
Attached Images

1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:30 PM   #10
forestb

on my 62 I just got an adjustable track bar from cpp that mounted in the stock locations and did not need to make extensions for the shocks. I did have to shorten the bar and cut some deeper threads because it was to long
Old 05-31-2019, 04:37 PM   #11
demian5

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestb View Post
on my 62 I just got an adjustable track bar from cpp that mounted in the stock locations and did not need to make extensions for the shocks. I did have to shorten the bar and cut some deeper threads because it was to long
What year rear diff did you have in the truck?

If it was an HO, they make 3 different track par lengths and they have one specifically for the 60-62. I went round and round with those guys in the showroom many times.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:39 PM   #12
forestb

Stock rear diff and the bar was from cpp
Old 10-08-2019, 12:47 AM   #13
Angrywood

This is an updated question.... i contacted the guy i bought the truck from and found out the 62 c10 has a 74 sub rear end in it. Which opens a whole lot of questions with gears when i get there. But back to the pan hard bar..... it measures 24”. After i install the 4” drop coils and shocks... will the 24” adjustable pan hard bar work or do i need the bigger or smaller bar?
Old 10-08-2019, 11:53 AM   #14
forestb

I think there are to many unknown variables for us to answer that question. I think you will just have to try it a see.