The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2014, 01:22 AM   #1
low&slow
Account Suspended

Need lots of help with important wires

Okay so the direction my build is going on my 69 c10 is to be mostly a strip truck. So with that said, the interior is going to have lots of switches. Right now I'm in the process of building a center console and that will be the main area where all the switches will be. I already have the ignition and start button wired, probably not the best way, but the truck starts with a flip of a switch and a push of a button. Now as far as additional accessories go such as electric fuel pump, fans, master shut off, water pump, and guages, I'm not too worried about right now as I'm not to that point yet.

The part I'm at right now is I'd like my headlights to work. The whole 8 yrs I've had my truck, I've only been able to turn my headlights on once. Well I pulled my gauge cluster out and unplugged the wiper switch and the headlight switch. Now from all the diagrams I've looked at on here, the light switch on the dash only has 5 wires going to it....I think. I don't know how to read a diagram
Anyways, my plug in for my switch has 7 wires going to it.

My main question for this is, which wires do I actually need to run to a switch to make the headlights come on?

And I know the headlights have a low beam and a high beam, so is it possible to run 2 separate switches? 1 for low beam and 1 for high beam?

Also, as far as all these wires in the truck, would it be easier in the long run to order an 18 circuit kit from Painless Wiring that includes, A/C and Heat, Brake lights, coil, horn, electric fan, emergency flashers, gauges/dash instruments, headlights, radio (constant/ignition hot), turn signals, wipers, dome lights, tail lights, third brake light, accessory plug, door locks, windows, electric fuel pump, back up lights, and cruise control for $455.99

Or is there a way that I could just buy like a 50 foot roll of wire that has labels on them? For example, a 50 foot roll of wire labeled Headlights or a 50 foot roll labeled tail lights.

Or should I just buy a couple of 50 foot rolls of 14 gauge wire in different colors non labeled and just rewire it myself?
low&slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:02 AM   #2
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Re: Need lots of help with important wires

If you'll have a lot of custom changes, start with this one and add what you need.
http://www.americanautowire.com/view...wiring-system/

I went with this one on my 72 Blazer and will have it tied into my EFI harness.
http://www.americanautowire.com/view...wiring-system/

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:33 PM   #3
Daze57

i agree ^ if you able to buy a full made harness from AAW that is the best way to go - if you like making your own harness from scratch .. great !!! but a already to go harness saves you time and maybe some $$$

my o2 cents worth
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:05 PM   #4
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
The part I'm at right now is I'd like my headlights to work. The whole 8 yrs I've had my truck, I've only been able to turn my headlights on once. Well I pulled my gauge cluster out and unplugged the wiper switch and the headlight switch. Now from all the diagrams I've looked at on here, the light switch on the dash only has 5 wires going to it....I think. I don't know how to read a diagram
Anyways, my plug in for my switch has 7 wires going to it.

My main question for this is, which wires do I actually need to run to a switch to make the headlights come on?

And I know the headlights have a low beam and a high beam, so is it possible to run 2 separate switches? 1 for low beam and 1 for high beam?
The headlight switch should look like this one.

Name:  Headlight Switch 1.jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  56.4 KB

The terminals are labeled with the right color wires and where they go. As you can see the red 12 gauge wire is the power wire and the blue 12 gauge wire is the headlight power wire that gets 12 volts when the headlight switch is pulled out.

The blue wire runs to the dimmer switch on the floor and there is a tan and a light green wire in the dimmer switch plug. These two wires are the headlight high and low beam wires and they run through the firewall to the plug on the left headlight along with two jumper wires that run to the right headlight.

Name:  0507cct_pain_28_z.jpg
Views: 1985
Size:  75.5 KB

If you don't have the dimmer switch you could wire the blue wire to the common side of a double pole, double throw switch and wire the tan and light green wires to the poles.

These threads are always guessing games because we don't know what someone has for wiring or switches. I'm in favor of the new wiring harness idea like the rest. You'll be able to get the right wires and terminals that you need.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:51 PM   #5
low&slow
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
The headlight switch should look like this one.

Attachment 1295470

The terminals are labeled with the right color wires and where they go. As you can see the red 12 gauge wire is the power wire and the blue 12 gauge wire is the headlight power wire that gets 12 volts when the headlight switch is pulled out.

The blue wire runs to the dimmer switch on the floor and there is a tan and a light green wire in the dimmer switch plug. These two wires are the headlight high and low beam wires and they run through the firewall to the plug on the left headlight along with two jumper wires that run to the right headlight.

Attachment 1295471

If you don't have the dimmer switch you could wire the blue wire to the common side of a double pole, double throw switch and wire the tan and light green wires to the poles.

These threads are always guessing games because we don't know what someone has for wiring or switches. I'm in favor of the new wiring harness idea like the rest. You'll be able to get the right wires and terminals that you need.
Okay so I don't have a dimmer switch. The switch I'd like to run has a spot for power, acc, and ground. So red goes to power, white is ground, and all other wires go to acc for my switch including the wires for the dimmer switch?
low&slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:24 PM   #6
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

I can't recommend what you are trying to do because it appears that you are going to overload some circuits and without proper fusing you risk a fire which could destroy your truck.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote