The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2008, 12:06 AM   #1
caminokid
Chevy nut

R.I.P. Fade to black

My 69 (Fade To Black) is going to be laid to rest Sunday Jun 1st. I almost totaled her cause some woman come racing out of her driveway in reverse into traffic. Well this cause a chain reaction of my brakes going out...and one trailing arm in the back breaking. I knew the day would come when it would have to be put down. I really am going to miss the old girl. Its will be a parts donor for the new 69 that is being built right now. Not alot of the parts...but a few of them. By next week it will be recycled for parts for me to keep...and who knows...it may be new metal for someones truck on here.

So rest in pieces Fade to Black.

I will be going to Indiana to pick up my 69 LWB stepper monday.

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:24 AM   #2
Chevyman680063

Re: R.I.P. Fade to black

Sorry to hear that man. I had someone run into my grandfather's '68 several years ago and am in the process of trying to get it back on the road. You didn't get any pics of the damgae did you?
Chevyman680063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:29 AM   #3
bad6772
Official Site Guitar Shredder

Sorry to hear that.......where you going to in Indiana/?
bad6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:29 AM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

if she was already pretty well beat, and she's gonna be a parts donor... then it is just the circle of life.
You're typing... meaning you are OK, you have another sexy beast lined up... all is good.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:33 AM   #5
wdrthird

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I feel your pain, I came out of the hardware store today to find my Harley laying on its side. Someone backed into it, knocked it over and then took off. Some people really need to learn to pay attention while driving!
wdrthird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:56 AM   #6
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
if she was already pretty well beat, and she's gonna be a parts donor... then it is just the circle of life.
You're typing... meaning you are OK, you have another sexy beast lined up... all is good.
x2

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 03:11 AM   #7
caminokid
Chevy nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyman680063 View Post
Sorry to hear that man. I had someone run into my grandfather's '68 several years ago and am in the process of trying to get it back on the road. You didn't get any pics of the damage did you?
I havent taken any pics. The truck looks no worse. I missed the idiot...scared the daylights out of me. When I start gutting the truck might get pics.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:20 AM   #8
caminokid
Chevy nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
The good news to this...I am half way through the body work on the new cab. I didnt think I had it in me to do body work. I was told many years ago to not do body work. At that time I was trying to do body work and was horrible at it. This time looks like I can do it!

In a way I feel like I am fixin to kill off a friend by parting her out. But as you said...its the circle of life for these trucks. By June 15th I will have had this truck a year. Never has it let me down. Even after its so close call and my fast reflexes...its still took me the other 6 blocks home. My tool box was in the back of the truck....it fell over. I had it strapped in...but that did no good. So my new Craftsman box is dented up. Not going to work tomorrow...no way there.

The other truck that gave up its life for the new 69 was my GMC. It let me down more then once. So I didnt feel so bad about gutting it at all. It was a shame that no one wanted that truck. It was a decent truck that needed some more TLC then I could give it. For 800.00 someone could have had a truck that needed nothing more then a new gas tank and it would have been good to go.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:22 AM   #9
caminokid
Chevy nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdrthird View Post
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I feel your pain, I came out of the hardware store today to find my Harley laying on its side. Someone backed into it, knocked it over and then took off. Some people really need to learn to pay attention while driving!
I would have had to search for that person and back my truck into their left door so hard that it would never open again. Was there any damage to your bike?? Sorry to hear about that...it always sucks.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:31 AM   #10
72 Super

Sorry to hear about your truck,but atleast you are ok.

Ray
Old 06-01-2008, 03:45 AM   #11
wdrthird

Quote:
Originally Posted by caminokid View Post
I would have had to search for that person and back my truck into their left door so hard that it would never open again. Was there any damage to your bike?? Sorry to hear about that...it always sucks.
If I could have found them it might have got ugly lol. If they would have just stopped and done the right thing it wouldnt be a big deal, it just makes me mad that they took off like nothing happened. It broke my tailight, scratched my pipes and peg, destroyed one grip and now the throttle sticks, but its all stuff that can be repaired so I guess I came out ok, sorry to hear that you werent so lucky. Glad to hear that you can use it to help put new life into another project though.
wdrthird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 03:53 AM   #12
caminokid
Chevy nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad6772 View Post
Sorry to hear that.......where you going to in Indiana?
I am going to Crown Point. Its about 30 minutes from the windy city. Lake county Indiana. My brother gave me the truck back in January I think...told me to come get it. He has lost interest in his project. He stuck about 3000.00 into it. So it will be my driver now.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:11 AM   #13
berencam

someone pulled out in front of me once in my 69 and i nearly t boned her going 50. the road was a 2 lane divided highway with a little median garden thingy in the middle, and she was coming off a side street trying to cross my side of the road to get to the other. There was a uturn section of the road where she was going to so my options where to hit the ditch on the right,t bone her, or go into the oncoming traffic to the left.i slammed my breaks into the oncoming traffic and whipped it around as fast i could. Luckily there was no oncoming traffic. And i am amazed i didn't flip the truck.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:10 AM   #14
caminokid
Chevy nut

I got under the truck today. Lord...there isnt any part of the lines going to the rear that doesnt have a hole in it. The rear cyls are leaking and the master cyl is blown. Be glad when I get the other truck here.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:05 PM   #15
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Sorry to hear about that... at least it's legacy will live through your project truck!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote