The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #26
notyo_cheez

Question Re: 1984 swb c10

Let me know how much that set you back, I need the same thing. Since he's a friend I'm sure he's making you a sweetheart deal, ask him what he'd charge anyone else...
notyo_cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #27
Zylone

Re: 1984 swb c10

Will do, I have no idea what he will charge.. but on the boys '76 I had a regular shop down the road do it.. and I think it was about $125 total for labor. That was the two lower ball joints, and all the bushings for the arms.. just dropped the arms and new parts off to them.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:24 PM   #28
Zylone

Alright, tonight after work.. the boy and I got the driver side tore apart. Tomorrow, I will drop the arms off at my buddies shop and let him work his magic! Hopefully everything will be back together by this weekend!
Old 02-26-2012, 12:41 AM   #29
Zylone

The truck is finally lowered! Spent the day yesterday with the boy rebuilding the front end, and installing the new springs and 2.5 in drop spindles, and today we installed the new 4 in. drop springs in the rear. This photo was taken with a cell phone, and doesn't do the truck justice. Plus, it is SUPER filthy right now, between driving in nasty rainy roads for weeks and all the greasy hands.. anyhow! Tomorrow, hopefully we will have the new front and rear swaybars on! Now, the rear bumper has to go! It looks so out of place with the truck lowered! HAHA
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #30
Zylone

OH BUDDY!!!!!!! So after rebuilding the front end and lowering the truck, I had to learn how to drive the thing again. I was over-steering on many curves because everything is nice and tight. Now, we just put the new front swaybar in, and yeah.. really gotta learn how to drive it again! OMG.. That thing plants the front end HARD in the curves! The rearend feels like a sloppy mess! HAHHAHA Fish tailing like a big dog. That should be fixed up tomorrow though with the new rear swaybar! =D
Old 05-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #31
Zylone

Wow.. long time and no update! I really havn't done much else other than general maintenance and drive the dog out of this old truck. About two months ago, I took the truck to a driveshaft shop. They put in all new u-joints and high speed balanced it. Heck, they even gave it a fresh coat of black paint!

This weekend I *finally* installed the rear swaybar. All I can say is.. it is a MUST do! I should have installed it a LOOONG time ago! Driving it has become so much more fun, and I have to be careful because now I just want to scream around every corner.

Next up, not quite sure yet.. but I am thinking about having the whole rearend rebuilt. Beefier axles, and some sort of posi unit. Oh, and weld the axle tubes to the pumpkin. Just for added safety!
Old 05-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #32
Zylone

Oh yeah.. other things I have done is get new window tint installed. 25% on the sides, and 5% on the rear. Also, a basic cd player and some 3 1/2in speakers under the dash.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:00 PM   #33
texastruckjunky

Nice truck! What other plans do you have for the truck.Do you take it out on Friday night to the Bun-n-barrel on Austin Highway?
Old 05-14-2012, 11:38 PM   #34
Zylone

Thank ya! The plan is constantly changing. I was origionally going to set it up as a drag truck/daily driver. But now, I am pretty much set on making it more of a street truck and handling. The "make it handle" thread in the suspension forum has me dreaming!

Other than that, I was planning on putting a healthy 383 under the hood.. but that has changed as well. My buddy that builds race engines, etc has talked me into doing 5.3 swap in it. It just makes more sense for the money. Before swapping the motor though, I will get the rearend built to handle the power and the same with the trans unless I go with a 4L80e when swapping the motor.

It is a slow process right now. A little at a time!

I have never been to Bun-n-Barrel actually. What time do people start showing up down there? I would love to cruise down there sometime!
Old 12-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #35
notyo_cheez

Question Re: 1984 swb c10

Any updates?
notyo_cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #36
i heart square bodys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zylone View Post
Thank ya! =)

The transmission crossmember came in today! This piece is NICE! Much thicker wall thickness than I was expecting for sure. Welds are clean, and the powder coated finish is very nice! Tomorrow, I am taking the wheels and tires to get mounted up and will roll the truck out with the new shoes on when I get back to make room for the boy's truck. We have to rebuild the front end on his truck before we start on mine.

what brand is this crossmember?
i heart square bodys is offline   Reply With Quote