The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
Mister-B
Account Suspended

What's with the high shipping charges these parts stores charge?

I'm in the market for a hood emblem, but Brothers wants $14.50 for shipping and LMC wants $13.75. The total bill ends up being $10 less at Brothers because it is on sale, and the price is still better. Still, though... $14.50 for shipping such a small and light item from California to Utah? Seems a bit much. I realize its best to order multiple things at once, and therefore save on shipping, but that doesn't always fit in with what I need.

Just venting I guess, and hoping there's somebody else that has prices like Brothers but with fair shipping prices
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: What's with the high shipping charges these parts stores charge?

shipping cpsts r high heck the USPS charges me right about 50cent to ship one ounce of paper
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:16 PM   #3
Tim Christian

Shipping cost are high. Most people also don't relaize how high the cost of boxes,tape,packing material and paying someone to pack it up is also.
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:28 PM   #4
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Being on fixed income I pay attention to high cost of everything. I retired 5 years ago and I have seen my income dwindle by about 20% due to inflation.

Higher taxes and higher fuel costs drives prices up on just about everything we purchase. That's the problem that politicians don't see when they raise taxes and pass restrictive regulations, it all trickles down to the consumer little by little.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:28 PM   #5
Shyguy

I bought an inner fender from Partsgeek. The quality was good and the shipping was real reasonable. It was shipped by truck.

I priced it at other places and the price was a lot higher and so was the shipping.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:36 PM   #6
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Yeah, but for sh!ts and giggles, I just checked the shipping charges from where Brothers is located, to my doorstep, and for priority flat rate (which usually includes a free box from the post office), the total cost is $5.15. My last brothers order shipped USPS, so they're not against using them. I sort of sound like one of the guys on the postal commercials lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #7
SS Tim

The $37 grill truck didn't have a hood emblem???? :-) Are there any local companies that carry restoration parts near you. On the little stuff that is so expensive to ship a local can work out as well if not better. Might get a little better price on a eBay listing but....
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:42 PM   #8
slikside

It's called revenue generation. They are
Making money on it folks...no doubt.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-17-2013, 10:44 PM   #9
69GWC

No these companys use shipping to make more money off the sale, sucks but its how it goes.
Just like you said $6.00 is what it cost but they charge allmost twice.
Bought some jets for my atv, now these are for the carb and are the size or a small gum drop and they charged my $15 and ship those 4 jets in a box big enough to hard a normal size noval.
Posted via Mobile Device
69GWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:44 PM   #10
Spartan

I agree with the assertion that shipping seems costlier than it should be. Sometimes I weigh a part and go to (insert carrier here) to find out what it would cost me. Figure in related packaging. Once in awhile I find companies who pad shipping costs. I would be less concerned with shipping costs and more aggravated by the cost of a Taiwanese repop marked up 100%. .....but I think manufacturing is what keeps countries strong and alive and we aren't doing it anymore. 2cents
Posted via Mobile Device

"orange rhymes with door hinge"
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #11
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
The $37 grill truck didn't have a hood emblem???? :-) Are there any local companies that carry restoration parts near you. On the little stuff that is so expensive to ship a local can work out as well if not better. Might get a little better price on a eBay listing but....
Lol. It actually did, but the blue plastic part was bad, so that doesn't get me anywhere. If it were the metal, I could shine it and paint the black area, but I can't fix that plastic area. Good idea about eBay. I'll check there again
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-17-2013, 10:50 PM   #12
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
Being on fixed income I pay attention to high cost of everything. I retired 5 years ago and I have seen my income dwindle by about 20% due to inflation.

Higher taxes and higher fuel costs drives prices up on just about everything we purchase. That's the problem that politicians don't see when they raise taxes and pass restrictive regulations, it all trickles down to the consumer little by little.
I'm sorry to hear that. I feel ya. Starting Jan 1, I started taking a pretty good ding in take home pay, due to these tax changes. And yet congress voted a raise for themselves recently...morons.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-17-2013, 10:52 PM   #13
69GWC

Lol but Congress dont live in the real world.
Posted via Mobile Device
69GWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:58 PM   #14
sduckworth13

Thankfully, I live in Kansas City. Where we have Jim Carters truck, Classic parts of America, LMC and Certifit ( aftermarket body panel supplier aka sort-a-fit). There is also a guy in Lenexa, Ks that sells nothing but parts for the 67-72 Chevy trucks.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:00 PM   #15
AJohn6
Knuckle head

One of the reasons most companies can get away with it is because they call it "shipping and handling". The shipping may be $5 but they will charge you $10 handling fee. It sucks but what can we do?

'71 SWB/Step http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=291750
2017 Crew Cab Silverado LTZ with 6.2l, 8 Speed tuned by RPM in Garner, NC
'00 Chevy 1500 6.0l Silverado Reg. Cab Short Bed
'09 Chevy 1500 5.3l Silverado Crew Cab Short Bed (SOLD)
1971 LWB on 2014 1 ton chassis, L96 6.0LS / 6L90E http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=796785
1969 LWB C10- Future project, possible AWD C10 on a 2002 Escalade Chassis.

AJohn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:08 PM   #16
LEEVON

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduckworth13 View Post
Thankfully, I live in Kansas City. Where we have Jim Carters truck, Classic parts of America, LMC and Certifit ( aftermarket body panel supplier aka sort-a-fit). There is also a guy in Lenexa, Ks that sells nothing but parts for the 67-72 Chevy trucks.
Don't forget Manes in Odessa.

As for shipping costs. Your box probably cost $8-10 through UPS or FedEx. Add the cost of the packing materials, labor and the management of all of that and they're not making anything. Everytime I ship parts I wish I could charge more. By the time I round up the boxes, packing tape (on my $50 gun) and make the trip to the shipper, etc. it's a losing proposition.

I try and wait to bundle an order so I don't buy something for $5 that costs $15 to ship.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:10 PM   #17
kcsa75

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduckworth13 View Post
And if you feel like a ride in the country, there Manes Truck Parts in Odessa, Mo. and Teeitup over in Meriden, Ks.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:49 AM   #18
oklalawnboy

I agree it is high but it's all part of supply and demand. They have it, you want it and it'll cost you more in fuel to go get it..
76 Monte Carlo
83 Chevy short wide Silverado
96 Mazda Miata, 2000 Allegro Bus
oklalawnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:45 AM   #19
special-K
Special Order

LMC burns you on shipping smaller more expensive parts by charging by dollar value. Even a steering wheel that is bigger is a rip off to buy from LMC. I bought one in 2011...12 years ago...for $149 and shipping for that price was $49,so I paid about $200 for a $150 steering wheel. Last year I sold that same wheel to Jerry Jones,shipped it coast to coast (twice the distance) and,with all the rises in shipping costs in 12 years,it cost $15 to ship! I haven't bought from LMC in years due to this flat rate that always works to their advantage. I see it as underhanded,but that's me. If you was $190 for a steering wheel,just say so. Let's not forget these businesses get shipping pricing way discounted from what it costs us.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #20
midniteblues

mr b is right shipping prices are outa hand all across the board. you would think with the volume of shipping lately it would come down a lil'.
I've had some decent prices off ebay but even then they double up the ship costs sometimes(i'm guessing to get mo $).
I also feel that the usps is kinda high most times. I have boxed up parts in the garage for months that i was quoted insane prices too send'm out.
fed ex or ups is at least a 30-40 min ride away and its not worth my time or effort too go that rout when the po is just down the street.

what i find strange is anytime a package comes or goes from our po its ups that picks it up or delivers it there???? does the usps sub too or quote prices from ups?I'm sure they need there cut.

I paid $14 too have some trailing arm bushings sent from b******rs they quoted me online a cheaper price and then called a few days later too say the online quote was wrong (they did this each time i ordered from them).
the worst part was I coulda swore i orderd trailing arm bushings(what i really needed) and got track arm bushings
that cost me damn near $30 and were not needed
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #21
TobyArnot
Quit if it's not FUN!!!

I just ordered an A/C hose from RockAuto : Hose was $43.79, shipping to SC was $35.52. Part is discontinued and I couldn't find it anywhere else. Yes, it hurts when shipping charges are as much or more than the parts. But, let the FREE MARKET rule ! If you think the tax bite in Jan. was bad, hang on. The "Great One" has way more taxes coming down the pipe via ObamaCare.
Spend all you've got,
Late in life, you'll think of the things you didn't do, not the things you did. - Get out and experience life !
Robbie Robinson a.k.a. TobyArnot (Toe Bee or not toe bee)
TobyArnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:46 AM   #22
daves72C10D

Fleabay shippers are the worse. They will have a low purchase price and jack up the shipping.
1990 Eagle Talon AWD
1991.5 W250 CTD
1992 Cushman Truckster- Haulster
daves72C10D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #23
pennhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyguy View Post
I bought an inner fender from Partsgeek. The quality was good and the shipping was real reasonable. It was shipped by truck.

I priced it at other places and the price was a lot higher and so was the shipping.
I fell for partsgeek.com low prices and also ordered an inner fender from them on 01-07-13. I received a tracking number on 01-14-13 which showed it was in Illinois on it's way to California, too bad I live in Ohio. Their customer service is terrible. So far I haven't made any progress communicating with them after a week of exchanging emails. They acknowledge it's going to the wrong place or the wrong tracking number but blame their vendor.
pennhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #24
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

OK... Im going to say something unpopular here. There is not really that much money in truck parts. These guys have to make a profit, and pay their employees. Employees have to eat and pay their bills as well.
I own a business, so I know. Its not easy, and not getting any easier. Try it and see. Be grateful we can get parts.
If you want to run an operation and not have to balance your books, join the Federal Govt. lol
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #25
~Whitey~

I think there is a lot of money in truck parts that's why there are so many places to buy parts from. The problem is it's getting way more expensive to run a business in this country due to the government imposing more taxes, regulations and forced healthcare on businesses and it all trickles right down to you and me, the consumer... I'm surprised they haven't thought of "shipping tax" yet. Some of it without a doubt is GREEDY suppliers trying to squeeze as much money out of you as they can. I'd prefer FREE SHIPPING and marked up prices over cheap prices and high shipping. At least I feel better when I get free shipping. :-/

Every board vendor I've dealt with has been very reasonable on shipping. imo