The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2021, 08:20 PM   #1
BlueMagicSS

K5 Build - Back to Square One

So I figure I may as well post my own personal build on the forums. Long story short I've had this truck for 16 years. It's an 89 K5 that I bought on 2/14/2005. It's probably been down about half that time, The longest and latest about 7 years currently. Let a friend drive it and Trans blew up (it was on its way out anyway), and the engine right behind it. I put in a reman engine, and rebuilt the transmission back in 2007 when I was going to WyoTech, and it sat for 2 years while that happened from 06-08. Finally got it running again and a family member killed the motor around 2012 - headgasket blew and once I pulled the head off I found a chipped piston. By this time I should have realized not to let anyone drive the truck, I know, I know... put a used motor in it that I had laying around since it was in my driveway at home and it HAD to move. That engine sounded bad and gave up in September 2013.

Fast Forward, April 2015 a kid later, and another on the way, I got a shop and the truck took the back seat after I pulled the motor. Bolted up my 5.3 I had from my Iroc, and a 4L60e from an Escalade I parted out, and stalled there. Pulled that out, put in an LQ9, and stalled again. (And this is why I call it Back to Square One, I've started over quire a few times lol)

FINALLY, I decided a few months back to give it all I got and do it right. I pulled the LQ9 out and Ordered a Tick Performance Tow Max Stage 2 Cam. I want it to have some low end power so I CAN tow something small if I want to, but since I've got a Yukon, Suburban, and Silverado, it probably won't tow much.

The LQ9 Got all new Gaskets, Painted the block Blue, and Sprayed the Engine Bay on New Years. So as soon as I get some time I'm going to drop LQ back in, wire it up, and run the fuel lines. So here we go, I'm going to post pics from start to finish so I can show where I started to where I am. It's not much now but it's a pretty good start...

My parts list so far:
-LQ9 (Unknown Mileage, but was clean inside when I broke it down)
-Tick Performance Tow Max Stage 2
-LS6 Springs
-7.400" Hardened Pushrods (Not Necessary but cheap insurance since I have extra sets)
-New Gaskets and Head Bolts (Fel Pro)
-Powder Coated Truck Accessory Bracket
-Powder Coated Oil Pan
-Shoenfeld LS Swap Headers
-PSI Conversion Harness
-Aeromotive 340lph Drop-in Fuel Pump
-Stock 4L60e and Converter (one of the reasons why I chose this cam was so I wouldnt HAVE to upgrade the converter. I want to go 80e later so I'll do a converter then)

Interior is Getting Escalade Front and 3rd Row seats. Still trying to figure out how to make the heated seats work, the power seats working is easy to wire up, the heater, not so much.

Engine Bay and Exterior are going Cement Grey from a Toyota Pickup. I wanted a Nardo Grey but I found this one with some Metallic in it so I ran with it. Had to order a new Driver's Side Fender to replace the one that got damaged after a blown tire somewhere around 2009, so the fenders came off with an opportunity to spray in places that probably will never be seen

Pic from 2006 a couple weeks after I Graduated High School

After I trailered the Truck back from Phoenix after the engine blew the first time

Me with the K5 when I pulled it in my shop about to drop the 5.3

BlueMagicSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:24 PM   #2
BlueMagicSS

Re: K5 Build - Back to Square One

Decided not to use the 5.3 and pulled it, dropped the 6.0 in, then pulled that... below:

Old 01-03-2021, 08:30 PM   #3
BlueMagicSS

Process of painting the engine bay, from start to finish, cleaned it off and pressure washed it for the 4th time. Finally Sprayed it on New Years.

Old 01-03-2021, 08:47 PM   #4
BlueMagicSS

Cleaned up and painted the engine, put the cam in, new timing chain and oil pump, and all new gaskets...

Old 01-06-2021, 08:15 AM   #5
LT7A

Looks like you're finally getting the chance to make it nice instead of just get it running again. Good luck, and I think I see another cool squarebody hiding in your garage.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 07:58 PM   #6
BlueMagicSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Looks like you're finally getting the chance to make it nice instead of just get it running again. Good luck, and I think I see another cool squarebody hiding in your garage.
Thank you! You're right, finally getting it nice and not just half-a$$ing it. And yes, the other square is a customer's 77 that's getting a CA Smog Legal LQ9.