The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2005, 10:15 PM   #1
teamharvey

Stereo/Speaker ideas ?

Hey guys,
I want to put in a CD/Radio player in either the glove box or the console. I want to keep it hidden to keep the original look as well as out of site. I also need some help on speakers as well ( location, types, ect. ). Anyone have any pics or thoughts on what you have done or seen ?

Thanks,
Bret
teamharvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:57 AM   #2
JBstor

I have seen lots of different ideas. kickpanel speakers, under dash speakers, under seat speakers, the dreaded in-door speakers, and of course, speakers in the back both boxed, and built into the side panels (not original panels for the love of pete!), There is a recent thread on the overhead headliner unit on the pickup board, but if you remove your top, it's gone. I have even seen speakers built out of light receptacles, and mounted on the roll bar, up when the top is off, and upside down when the top is on. The guy even had light covers for them in case it rained. I am considering all of these for mine (well, not the door speakers or the overhead)

For the radio, it depends on what you have. If it has a remote control, you can hide it almost anywhere. If not, I think the console is the way to go. I don't know if they still sell it, but Radio Shack used to have an under dash setup that you could hook up all your wiring to, and then hook up the other part to the stereo. Then you could simply slide it in when you wanted to use it and slide it out when you were done.

Personally, I will probably go with the console idea, Easy to wire, easy to reach, and easy to hide.

Anyone else?
JB
JBstor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:30 PM   #3
jamesjones
Freakin Awesome!

I'm putting the head unit in a Tuffy Console, already have holes in the doors so I'm putting the mids and highs there but if you didn't want to cut them you could have a custom kick panel built, for the lows I have 2 10's in seperate enclosures, I'll post some pictures later. You could probably have something similar made.

Last edited by jamesjones; 03-29-2005 at 01:34 PM.
jamesjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 03:22 PM   #4
blazerparts
No,I DON'T have Tourett's

I put mine in the glove box............but had to put a small fan in to keep unit cool.
blazerparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 12:15 PM   #5
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Blazer parts welcome to the board.. My dash was already cut so i put a pioneer head unit in there along with 2'' pioneer kickpanel speaker's.. I got 2 xplod 6x9's mounted mid-way beteewn the door jamb and seat.. Right behind the seat I have 2 10'' xplod subs in a box sounds pretty good untill you take the top off... I would like to weld the dash stereo location back in someday and hide the head unit but thats down the road..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 04:39 PM   #6
jamie72

i put an factory am in the dash and my cd in the consloe, 2, 10 inch subs in boxes in front of the wheel wells, and a 500 watt amp under the rear seat..
Attached Images

member #807

http://www.myspace.com/whitetailobsession
www.antlertalk.com
jamie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 05:03 PM   #7
audioholic

Im a new member, can someone explain why door mounting is so frowned upon? I dont see alot of alternatives in these trucks. Im not going to put kickpanel mounted speakers in my offroad 4x4 that gets sand/dirt/mud on the floor regularly.
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 05:20 PM   #8
Lemield

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamharvey
Hey guys,
I want to put in a CD/Radio player in either the glove box or the console. I want to keep it hidden to keep the original look as well as out of site. I also need some help on speakers as well ( location, types, ect. ). Anyone have any pics or thoughts on what you have done or seen ?

Thanks,
Bret
Bret,

PM me and I'll send you pics of my setup. I'd post it again but I don't want to waste bandwidth since I've posted it before. My pics are not of the greatest quality but the important things are shown.

My system is fully remote control and is all hidden. No cutting of the doors or dash was done.

Larry

1949 Willys CJ2A, Kubota Turbo Diesel engine, Warn Overdrive, 11 inch brakes, 12volt, Warn M8000 Winch "Little Green"
1970 Rustoleum Roller Red C20 Custom Camper 454 TH400 "Big Red"
1971 K20 6.2 Turbo Diesel 4x4 4spd Ranger Overdrive "Pumpkin Wagon"
2005 VW Beetle Diesel 44+ MPG "Silver Bullet"
Lemield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 05:39 PM   #9
71jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic
Im a new member, can someone explain why door mounting is so frowned upon? I dont see alot of alternatives in these trucks. Im not going to put kickpanel mounted speakers in my offroad 4x4 that gets sand/dirt/mud on the floor regularly.

It's a personal thing. Some of us want a stock vehicle when done, others like to do mods. What ever rings your bell, it's all good.

"If life was fair you'd be able to afford one of each and a garage large enough to house them all."
71jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 05:52 PM   #10
audioholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71jimmy
It's a personal thing. Some of us want a stock vehicle when done, others like to do mods. What ever rings your bell, it's all good.
I certainly understand that, I would never cut one of my chevelles up for speakers. But like I said above, in an offroad vehicle, I dont see kicks working too well... what's the other alternatives to doors? Im quite ignorant to these trucks, still learning... what's the stock speaker size/location if I may ask?
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 05:58 PM   #11
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Quote:
what's the stock speaker size/location if I may ask?

DEPENDS ON HOW IT WAS ORDERED, SOME HAD A SINGLE CENTER DASH
SPEAKER, AND SOME HAD A SINGLE SPEAKER MOUNTED UNDER THE A/C
AND HEATER CONTROL PANEL, THE ONLY TWO OPTIONS I KNOW OF, BUT
I'M SPEAKING ABOUT A BLAZER, TRUCKS / BURBS COULD BE DIFFERENT
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 06:47 PM   #12
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Quote:
I certainly understand that, I would never cut one of my chevelles up for speakers. But like I said above, in an offroad vehicle, I dont see kicks working too well... what's the other alternatives to doors? Im quite ignorant to these trucks, still learning... what's the stock speaker size/location if I may ask?
Many of these trucks are appreciating very rapidly. With less than 80,000 Blazer built between 1969 and 1972, a huge number have rusted away, been wrecked or extreme modifications, the value of the stock rigs, or reasonably close, is sky rocketing. Many people frown upon cutting into prime sheet metal. Being the owner of both a stock rig and a modified rig, I understand both sides and say, "do what you want."

If your purposes are to create an off road truck, I fully understand not wanting kick panel speakers. However, I don't think cutting into the bottoms of the doors would be too much better. You might consider putting speakers into the door panels to get them a little higher up. I've also thought about putting one of the Jeep roll bar speaker set ups in my '69 with some boxes built along the bed sides.

I've also seen some of the speaker set ups for wakeboard boats and thought those might be nice attached to the roll cage. They would be water proof and some of those put out great sound.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote