The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2015, 11:48 PM   #1
Tzclark

Buying someone's project

So my c10 is almost done and I am looking for my next restoration. I am looking for a gtx or coronet rt. I am a Chevy guy at heart but it's time for a mopar in my collection. The two cars I have looked at are worlds apart. The satellite has been stripped and had some steel patch work done, the coronet is running and driving but requires the same amount of steel work as the satellite. The satellite is much much cheaper but no guarantee all the interior and misc parts are there, it is currently sitting as a shell.

My question is based of my last few projects where I purchased running and driving vehicles, disassembled and restored and pretty much replaced all the suspension, engine, trans, steering, differential and in the trucks case the cab.

My plan for the b body is to mini tub, put a jazzed up 440 (can't afford a 426), slick paint job and pro touring suspension. So practically replace everything but the shell.

I guess this question is more so for someone who has bought somebody else's project and completed it themselves. Was the initial cost saving worth it or was the head ache of figuring out what's is missing not worth it? I do realize that buying someone's completed car is cheaper in the long run but that's no fun.
2014 nissan pathfinder sl (the kid hauler)
Tzclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:08 AM   #2
ho70

Re: Buying someone's project

Mopars are three times the cost of restoring versus a Chevy, especially living in Canada. Many parts are not reproduced. I have a 70 Challenger I just did. Mopar guys are real finicky about numbers and so on, so satellite's never have any value, no matter what you do to it. Buy the GTX or a road runner. Check out moparts for a project for sale. Good luck
ho70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:22 AM   #3
Tzclark

I am not worried about numbers matching, making a clone is just fine for me. I don't plan on selling any of my cars.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:28 AM   #4
CG
BlahBlahBlah

What years are the cars you are looking at?
Old 06-14-2015, 08:47 AM   #5
Tzclark

Gtx would be 68-70 and coronet would be 68-69
Old 06-14-2015, 09:04 AM   #6
dirtyjim

what's the price difference between the cars and are there any decent swap meets locally?
if you have a way to sell or swap the parts you pull off the running car you can recoup some of the money, but if your in an area that doesn't have good swap meets you may end up giving the part to the scrap yard just to get rid of them.

there was a shop down the street from me that was trying to sell a very poor condition road runner, but we never could agree on the price
Old 06-14-2015, 10:00 AM   #7
69 GMC Daily Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzclark View Post
I guess this question is more so for someone who has bought somebody else's project and completed it themselves. Was the initial cost saving worth it or was the head ache of figuring out what's is missing not worth it? I do realize that buying someone's completed car is cheaper in the long run but that's no fun.
Tz,

First I would like to comment on your decision to do a Mopar. Please realize at best you are looking at 3 times the cost for parts. (if you can find all of the parts)
Every little part you might find available for a C/10, Camaro, Mustang will not be available.

As far as your question regarding someone who has "bought somebody else's project" I can offer the following:

1. Every single classic car or truck is and was "someone else's project". The level of care, maintenance and cost just differ based on the current owner's perception.

2. I am now completing what some people might have considered a finished truck. I had to pull the motor, transmission, all of the wiring, interior, bed, fuel tank, front body panels to make corrections. I feel like I am coming out ahead having purchased this particular truck. Someone else on this board might have a different perception of this particular truck and might have passed on the purchase. My decision was cost driven.

3. I don't know your skill set regarding a build. I know what I can do and what I refuse to do anymore. (bodywork sucks and I hate it) So really only you can decide if a completed project, semi-completed project or a total resto is for you.
86 El Camino (22k original miles)
69 GMC Daily Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:59 AM   #8
Livrat
Member #1049

For me because of the initial cost savings I always consider failed projects (I have been resurrecting old vehicles for over 40 years), To me its a thrill to drag one home, take inventory, then go on the hunt for the missing items, then more than likely 2 or 3 more of the same vehicle show up for parts. (yes it is an addiction).
I have owned/built many Mopars in the past and agree with the comments above that choosing one it will cost you 3 times as much as a Chevy/Ford etc. But if its what you want, go for it.
If you do find yourself with a project, keep in mind that I have an extra 440/727 and a fresh B body Dana 60 posi laying around I do not need.
Livrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 02:37 PM   #9
Tzclark

I am definitely aware that a mopar costs quite a bit more to build. On my past restorations I have done all the patch work and let the body shop handle filler and paint work. I do everything myself, minus body and upholstery.

The question was more geared towards buying a failed project, was it good purchase or not financially and headache wise.

Quote:
what's the price difference between the cars and are there any decent swap meets locally?
The coronet is a 383 superbee and its 15k but is complete ( minus the fact it needs pretty much all new sheet metal) and unmolested. The satelittle is all torn apart and is 2k. When you consider I don't care about numbers or originality because I am going for the hot rod/pro touring look.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:46 PM   #10
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Even though I said no more cars, I would take that satellite for 2k in a heartbeat. I say go for that one.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:06 PM   #11
Tzclark

You're right below me CG. I was down in Seattle with the old lady last weekend pretending we didn't have three kids at home.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:14 PM   #12
Tzclark

Livrat, you're also right below me, I'll keep that in mind for sure. Clone or original I am for sure doing a 440 but I'll be doing a 4 speed without a doubt. I have two auto vehicles and i have a hankering for a manual.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:10 PM   #13
Super_Dave

If you need parts, I know a guy near me with several cargo containers of Mopar parts. It's his business. Let me know if you want a contact and I will hit him up the next time I see him at church.

"Life is tough - wear a cup!"
"Old Enough to Know Better - Too Young to Resist"
"Junk is something you will need three weeks after you throw it away."
Super_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote