The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 60-66 Suburbans

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-20-2016, 12:40 AM   #1
porschecab

1962 GMC Panel FRONT Window FIT 1963 GMC Carryall?

I am new to these rigs, having a 1962 Panel I wanted to convert to a Carryall, I opted to just buy a 1963 GMC Custom Carryall. I will sell the panel once I have taken a few pieces I'd like on my 1963, assuming similar.

The 63 has a cracked OEM windshield and the 62 has a fairly clean, but original one. Is there any benefit of keeping an original versus a repop?

Dan
Attached Images

porschecab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:48 AM   #2
bpmcgee

Re: 1962 GMC Panel FRONT Window FIT 1963 GMC Carryall?

Porche,

Because of it's age and construction (laminated glass), you may not be able to get the old glass out in one piece, and you may have a problem getting a glass installer to put laminated glass back in.

I don't think the originality of the glass plays much of a role in the originality or value of these trucks.

B
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:39 PM   #3
padresag

i would just take out the suburban glass first. I would just get new glass installed. after you take out the first one you will find out how much work it is you won't want to take out the second one. if the panel is decent just sell it. by leaving it in pieces will just deavalue it more
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:10 AM   #4
porschecab

Great, thanks. Coming from the Porsche world, a 1969 part on a 1969 is far more desirable - rather required!

It would seem in talking to folks about the burb, it matters less. I am struggling with bumpers and just buying repops or finding originals.

Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2016, 09:15 AM   #5
bpmcgee

Porche,

As you're finding, the truck enthusiasts are less purist than the Porche ones. For the better, if you ask me

When it comes to sheet metal, though, be cautious. Most repop sheetmetal is NOT of the same quality, and often doesn't even fit the same as original.

B
Old 09-21-2016, 09:32 AM   #6
porschecab

B,
You are absolutely correct, truck folk, hot rodders in general, are much less particular about originality (to a point) than any Porsche guy.

I do need to either patch or replace portions of floorboards in the '63. I would assume patch would be a lot better than replace. That said, if I need sheet metal, which of all the online/magazine companies should I get parts from?

Hell, I just paid $55 for an OEM rear view mirror to keep it original, where the magazines have them new as repop for $20 or so. I'm trying, I really am trying to get away from having to be original!
Old 09-21-2016, 10:48 AM   #7
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschecab View Post
B,
You are absolutely correct, truck folk, hot rodders in general, are much less particular about originality (to a point) than any Porsche guy.
not necs. it has been over 40 years since I have had my 911 though.
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:54 AM   #8
bpmcgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschecab View Post
B,
...That said, if I need sheet metal, which of all the online/magazine companies should I get parts from?
That's like asking "Which religion will get me into heaven?" It depends on who you ask.

Almost more than any other topic here you'll find people having conversations like the following:

Al: I just bought a repop widget from ClassicWidgets and it SUCKED!
Ben: No way! I bought a different widget from ClassWidgets and it R0XX0Red!
Al: I hate cheap chinese knockoffs.
Ben: Beer is great!
Al: Beer IS great! And you're great for loving it!

Which demonstrates two things -- that the companies that sell us parts are buying from varied manufacturers, who are of variable quality -- and that truck lovers also love beer and each other.

B
Old 09-21-2016, 01:26 PM   #9
porschecab

Thanks for the insight. I will educate myself on sheet metal.

So I know bumpers from a 1962 won't fit the 1963 without modifications. What about taking the barn doors from a 1962 and putting them on a 1963? I know all the holes are there on the clam shell 63 and the valance above the bumper could be swapped, but are the DOORs going to fit?

Thoughts?
Old 09-21-2016, 01:32 PM   #10
bpmcgee

I think if the doors will fit, they probably have the same part numbers for both years.

I'll check my 60-66 assembly manual for part numbers.

The Assembly Manual is one of the great resources for us -- it's not ACTUALLY a manual, but a collection of all the assembly notes and diagrams for the 7 years they were making this generation of trucks. Also useful are an interchange manual, and the factory parts catalogs.

B
Old 09-22-2016, 06:13 AM   #11
spacedebris

When it comes to repops, some are better than others and like b said everyone seems to have a differing opinion on who is better than whom. That said, there is almost no repop that is as good as OEM. That is almost a given. For some items it almost doesnt matter. For example, a repop tail light lens now that they do repop them is nearly perfect, so there is no reason to try to freshen up an old set when you can buy new. (unless you specifically want NOS or OEM). But there are other items where it is actually better to fix (if possible) what you have or try and find a good used part to freshen up. Such as fenders. Some of the new repop fenders are good. Some are even very good. But none compare to an original. Even sometimes it is better to modify another years part to fit rather than buy repop. IMO bumpers fit into this category. I'd rather fix and modify that 62 bumper to fit the 63 rather than buy one of the new bumpers. Now your gonna pay more to do that, but what you get in quality is generally better, again IMO. Now when making patches, the only detriment to using repops for the patch panels is that typically the repops are made from lighter material than the original, but in a small area used as a patch that is less likely to be an issue compared to an entire panel that is lightweight. So patch those floors if possible but replace if needed, not a huge issue. Fenders- used or refurbished OEM/NOS is best

And the barn doors should fit through all 60-66 years, and if your converting from tailgate to barn door (or vice versa) there is another thread about that around here somewhere.
1960 c30 Apache Panel w/ '95 cummins bt6 turbo diesel (work in progress) NOTE: due to photobucket trying to extort money my photos are temporarily unavailable. currently looking for alternative to fix issue.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=523009
spacedebris is offline   Reply With Quote