The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2008, 01:32 PM   #1
Mr_shorty

Blew my rearend out...

Okay, here is the question, sort of...

I have an 82 Burban 6.2 diesel w/700R4 and on the way home this evening while towing a family member's car that burnt the clutch out, I hear my spider gears everytime I round a corner making some awful noises. Coasting nor under power made a difference and ONLY when cornering and the tighter the corner the worse it got. Once I got her car home and started backing up into my driveway it was binding up while going straight too...

I have a 82 LWB chevy truck that I have been working on as a side project for about a year or so... What would be the differences in the two rearends? I know the LWB came with a I-6 and an auto, I know it isn't a 700R4 trans, but that is all I know. What is the likely hood that the gear ratios will be the same or close enough?

87 Burb 3/4
82 Burb Diesel
82 LWB (project)
85 Zuki Pane

Last edited by Mr_shorty; 02-05-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Mr_shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:30 AM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Blew my rearend out...

I "think" you might have a 12 bolt rear in the Burb since it came with a diesel, but my books don't cover that. You will probably have a 10 bolt rear in the truck. You can count the bolts on the dif cover to be sure.

Beyond that they should be the same. It's a crap shoot as to what gear ratio they have. Look at the glove box door and see if the spec sheet offer any clues.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:14 AM   #3
Twisted78SS
Wide n'Low

Any idea if your burb has a limited slip? I have seen the friction modifiers breakdown over time, and a fluid change with new additive saved me once from the same sort of thing. I was convinced I had lost my gears until i made the change. Worth a try, and if nothing else you will get a peek at them in the process.
Twisted78SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:32 PM   #4
Mr_shorty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted78SS View Post
Any idea if your burb has a limited slip? I have seen the friction modifiers breakdown over time, and a fluid change with new additive saved me once from the same sort of thing. I was convinced I had lost my gears until i made the change. Worth a try, and if nothing else you will get a peek at them in the process.
I didn't even know it was an option on the burbs... Guess I will drop the pan first and change the fluid, it's a lot easier to change fluid thn a complete rearend.

87 Burb 3/4
82 Burb Diesel
82 LWB (project)
85 Zuki Pane
Old 02-09-2008, 12:01 AM   #5
rcbildr

Is the Burb 3/4ton or 1/2 ton? The 2 ratios I've seen on the 3 diesel vehicles I have (83 Shortbed 4x4, 85 Burb 4x4, & 82 Burb 2wd) were either 4:10 or 3:73...the shorty had the 3:73. IIRC all 3 of them have the Gov-loc/limited slip option. Both 'Burbs were 3/4ton with the 14bolt and the shorty was 1/2 with a 10bolt (IIRC).

If you decide not to use the rear end from the truck, kinda keep an eye on the year of whatever you buy. I had to replace the rear end on my 85 and I used the one from my 82. Sometime between 82 and 85 they redesigned the parking brake system and now I have to find a way to reconnect my parking brake...I just finished installing new brakes and I didn't feel like taking everything apart again to swap out the backing plates. I have most of it figured out, but I still need to order a part from McMaster-Carr to finish it.
1967 Suburban 1/2ton 2wd

My Girlfriends Projects
1985 Chevy Suburban 3/4ton 4x4 with 6.2L diesel, 4" lift, converted to TH-400, Warn Premium manual hubs, & Wildcat 315/75/R16 tires. (daily driver)
1978 Camaro Type LT with a Marine 350 & vortec heads, Rochester Carb, & roller cam
1978 Camaro Z28

Last edited by rcbildr; 02-09-2008 at 12:01 AM.
rcbildr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 09:29 AM   #6
Mr_shorty

Thanks for the reply.

I am going to try and change the rearend fluid this weekend and put the limited slip fluid in it and see if that makes a difference... Because I drove it to work yesterday and it didn't mkae any noises. I will post back when I get it changed.

Thanks for the help!

87 Burb 3/4
82 Burb Diesel
82 LWB (project)
85 Zuki Pane
Old 02-29-2008, 10:27 AM   #7
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

They do make spider gear kits. Just depends on what rear you have. They can be replaced without removing the differential. Its pretty simple and if you are draining the fluid anyway. Remove a small bolt, slide the pin out, push the axles in, remove the c-clips, pull the axles back a little bit, turn one rear tire slowly, that will give access to the top and bottom spider gear, then the side gears, then its time for new parts. After the casing is cleaned out with brake cleaner.

How many lugs are on the rear axle? How many bolts on the differential oil cover housing? If you could post a picture of the inside carrier unit. That would help determine if it has a traction device of some sort or not.
MylilBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:12 AM   #8
Mr_shorty

Well, it is a 6 lug 10 bolt rearend, but I ended up getting a good deal on a 3/4 burban with a bad motor. This weekend I am pulling the 6.2 out of my 1/2 and putting it in place of the 5.7 gasser in the 3/4 burb. I will be switching over the front clip, fuel tanks, lines, wiring harnes, and the front bench seat.

87 Burb 3/4
82 Burb Diesel
82 LWB (project)
85 Zuki Pane

Last edited by Mr_shorty; 03-02-2008 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:07 PM   #9
mtndewmaniac66
Do the Dew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
I "think" you might have a 12 bolt rear in the Burb since it came with a diesel, but my books don't cover that. You will probably have a 10 bolt rear in the truck. You can count the bolts on the dif cover to be sure.

Beyond that they should be the same. It's a crap shoot as to what gear ratio they have. Look at the glove box door and see if the spec sheet offer any clues.
Believe it or not, I have a '84 that came with the 6.2L, and it only had the GM 10bolt, 3.73:1 ratio, limited slip rear. The previous owner blew the diesel up and had swapped in a 350 V8. Last year, I blew out the rear axle by catching pavement after I started spinning on a small patch of ice. I could never figure out why GM put such light weight axles under a Suburban, much less behind a 6.2L diesel!
mtndewmaniac66 is offline   Reply With Quote