The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2020, 09:19 PM   #251
Spf79

Re: 1972 Build thread.

Body is officially on the frame.

I have a couple of small issues.

(#1) The body is touching the top of the transfer case. Just a smidge.looks like an easy fix, but if I drop the t-case an 1" it may create an issue with the tall valve covers kissing the firewall...

(#2) The soft ride springs in the rear have my rear axle forward at least 2-1/2"... not OK, this will get addressed as soon as I educate myself on the issue. I have been seeing this on lifted Blazers for a while.

(#3) passenger side header does not fit. It is swept back to far, the flange is almost up against the body flange at the bottom of the firewall. They were cheap headers from a local mom and pop shop here in town.

Everything else seems good for the moment. I'll elaborate with some pics in a little while.

Thank you Classic Heartbeat... the body mounts were top notch.
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2020, 10:39 PM   #252
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
As for the windshield trim. If it were me, I’d forego repro trim for OEM. Don’t waste the time/money with repro trim. Unless some retooling has occurred it just won’t fit. The oem stainless trim can be polished to a nice shine. Use the Precision brand gasket that corresponds to the trim. If you have 71-72 trim with the shallow purchase get the 71-72 gasket. Either pre-71 or 71-72 OEM trim should install without much grief.

Precision has an install video if the glass guys need a tutorial of if you want to do it yourself.
Pete has given some good advice here!

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:08 PM   #253
simicrintz

Very jealous; that looks AWESOME!!!
Old 11-22-2020, 02:52 PM   #254
Spf79

Quote:
Originally Posted by simicrintz View Post
Very jealous; that looks AWESOME!!!
Thanks buddy, I am still opening the garage door periodically to check that it is still there.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:44 PM   #255
Spf79

Ok...

Doing some reading... on this forum for the most part. A big thank you to everyone that pitches their experience and information into this community.

Here are my issues.

I switched from a Rockwell transfer case to a np205 transfer case, the 205 should have been original equipment for this model. Therefore it should fit, unfortunately mine does not. I am learning that there was a 3/4 ton crossmember, and a 1/2 ton crossmember, the 3/4 ton being a taller crossmember? The 3/4 ton frame being taller allowed for this extra height... I do not know how to confirm this to be true. Regardless, this appears to be my issue. Any feedback on this from anyone?

The fix? I get a 1/2" or 1" spacer kit...

Problems that the spacer kit will create?
I may create a front driveline/deep th350 pan issue...
I may create the tall valve cover/firewall issue... although, I think I already have the valve cover issue. Grrr.

Plan?...
Change the tranny pan out to something less awesome. Burning $$$...
Put a dent in my firewall with the double hammer method since my valve train will not low me to use standard valve covers. Pit in stomach...

Any other ideas on this one?

One other item, my mounting location on my frame on the passenger side forward mount appears to be bent down about 3/4 of an inch... on the outside , not the inside of the ear... eye twitching. Although I'm not super concerned about this since the doors fit and opened/closed really well before I took them apart... So I tell myself.
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2020, 11:08 PM   #256
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Can you post photos when possible of how the tcase is mounted at the frame rail and at the crossmember? The crossmember for the tcase should be same 3/4 or 1/2 t. Is it SBC bolted to th350 bolted to the NP205 with OE adapter to the tranny?

Brad had what may have been a similar issue albeit with a 69 cab. Is there a chance the case for NP205s was changed at some point with a later style less accommodating for these trucks? Just a thought as neither his nor yours were original to the vehicles. Maybe ask Brad to weigh in. Here’s his relevant post on the matter: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=152

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland

Last edited by DeadheadNM; 11-22-2020 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Added
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 04:38 AM   #257
Spf79

Quote:
Can you post photos when possible of how the tcase is mounted at the frame rail and at the crossmember? The crossmember for the tcase should be same 3/4 or 1/2 t. Is it SBC bolted to th350 bolted to the NP205 with OE adapter to the tranny?

Brad had what may have been a similar issue albeit with a 69 cab. Is there a chance the case for NP205s was changed at some point with a later style less accommodating for these trucks? Just a thought as neither his nor yours were original to the vehicles. Maybe ask Brad to weigh in. Here’s his relevant post on the matter: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=152
Thank you for replying, I really appreciate it!
I read that thread, same issue. I will follow up with him, I thought he had a low hump cab? Can't remember now, I will re-read that thread..

Yes sir, I have a sbc/th350 - but I am bolted to the transfer case with an advanced adapters piece as a replacement to the original adapter. It does not appear to be clocking the transfer case different than stock. Although it could be a taller piece due to it being made from aluminum they may need more material for the required strength.... hmmmm...

I read up on 205's after reading your post. They changed in 1985, last production year being 1991. Mine is out of a 78 something Cheverolet with a 4spd.

Here is a picture or two.
Let me know your thoughts, I hope I missed something that you are about to catch. Thank you again for taking the time to help. .
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2020, 04:49 AM   #258
Spf79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spf79 View Post
Thank you for replying, I really appreciate it!
I read that thread, same issue. I will follow up with him, I thought he had a low hump cab? Can't remember now, I will re-read that thread..

Yes sir, I have a sbc/th350 - but I am bolted to the transfer case with an advanced adapters piece as a replacement to the original adapter. It does not appear to be clocking the transfer case different than stock. Although it could be a taller piece due to it being made from aluminum they may need more material for the required strength.... hmmmm...

I read up on 205's after reading your post. They changed in 1985, last production year being 1991. Mine is out of a 78 something Cheverolet with a 4spd.

Here is a picture or two.
Let me know your thoughts, I hope I missed something that you are about to catch. Thank you again for taking the time to help. .
I just sent advanced adapters a question about their dimensions matching OEM. I'll let you know what I hear.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:39 AM   #259
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Are the brackets present and in original factory location to affix the tcase to the frame rail? Not just xmember.
Attached Images

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
Old 11-23-2020, 11:09 AM   #260
Spf79

Quote:
Are the brackets present and in original factory location to affix the tcase to the frame rail? Not just xmember.
Yes sir, everything lines up as it should. I'm waiting for my transfer case side support to be finished at the powder coater, I checked it before dropping it off and it lined up with the frame holes as well. I feel good about it being in the correct location. Head scratcher.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:35 AM   #261
Spf79

Quote:
I just sent advanced adapters a question about their dimensions matching OEM. I'll let you know what I hear.
The advanced adapters piece is an exact copy of the original, not of the earlier model, but of the later model. I need to look into this, and if there are differences between early adapters and later adapters. Long sigh.
Old 11-23-2020, 01:17 PM   #262
jaros44sr

I can take measurements if you like, as I have the same basic setup, my fingers just fit above my t/c

8quart oil pan and a deep trans pan

I was thinking tc mounts, but you have the same as me

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 01:55 PM   #263
Spf79

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
I can take measurements if you like, as I have the same basic setup, my fingers just fit above my t/c

8quart oil pan and a deep trans pan

I was thinking tc mounts, but you have the same as me
That would be awesome, and greatly appreciated!!! Can you measure the thickness of your body mounts while you are down there? Just trying to mark potential issues off the list.

Thank you for helping!
Old 11-23-2020, 03:11 PM   #264
SeventyOne

Quote:

I have a couple of small issues.

(#2) The soft ride springs in the rear have my rear axle forward at least 2-1/2"... not OK, this will get addressed as soon as I educate myself on the issue. I have been seeing this on lifted Blazers for a while.

(#3) passenger side header does not fit. It is swept back to far, the flange is almost up against the body flange at the bottom of the firewall. They were cheap headers from a local mom and pop shop here in town.
My two cents on these issues since you're getting help on the Tcase.

You can use something like this to move the axle back in the wheel well.
https://www.wfoconcepts.com/pr/Leaf-...n-Plates/20071

There's similar parts available just find the one you want. Another option is to remove your rear axle, cut off the stock perches and weld on these: https://www.wfoconcepts.com/pr/2-5-L...rch/16871/3373

I went with option two to center my axle up in the wheel well.
Name:  PassengerSide.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  46.2 KB

For your headers I'd recommend Sanderson headers. I used these and they fit and look amazing. Happy to post a pic if you want.
https://www.sandersonheaders.com/san...ategory_id=551
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 04:40 PM   #265
Spf79

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyOne View Post
My two cents on these issues since you're getting help on the Tcase.

You can use something like this to move the axle back in the wheel well.
https://www.wfoconcepts.com/pr/Leaf-...n-Plates/20071

There's similar parts available just find the one you want. Another option is to remove your rear axle, cut off the stock perches and weld on these: https://www.wfoconcepts.com/pr/2-5-L...rch/16871/3373

I went with option two to center my axle up in the wheel well.
Attachment 2062730

For your headers I'd recommend Sanderson headers. I used these and they fit and look amazing. Happy to post a pic if you want.
https://www.sandersonheaders.com/san...ategory_id=551
Excellent, thank you for the links, I am looking at the zero rates from ORD, but I like the first link you sent, especially with the top plate that matches. I may have to get that top plate, if I can't alter mine easily enough. I powder coated my axles, so I want to avoid cutting and welding on them now. (Sad face)

I was actually looking at the old school Sanderson manifolds, I didn't look at the headers yet. Thank you for the link on those as well, it is good to know that they fit. I'm going to wait and see how this all meshes together once I adjust the transfer case so the body can be fully mounted. Maybe The header will fit after everything is in place... I doubt ut will, but here is for wishful thinking.

I love your Blazer's stance, what is your lift/tire set up? It looks amazing.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:25 PM   #266
jaros44sr

Quote:
That would be awesome, and greatly appreciated!!! Can you measure the thickness of your body mounts while you are down there? Just trying to mark potential issues off the list.

Thank you for helping!
The one thing I can't do, my mounts are messed up right now, but if I can assist in any other way just ask

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 11-23-2020, 06:33 PM   #267
SeventyOne

Quote:
I love your Blazer's stance, what is your lift/tire set up? It looks amazing.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond.
Thanks - it's 6" lift Alcan springs up front, 2" lift Alcan springs in the rear plus an ORD shackle flip for the other 4" for 6" total.

Tires are 37x12.50r17 Goodyear Wrangler MTRs.

And you're welcome!
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:50 PM   #268
Spf79

Quote:
The one thing I can't do, my mounts are messed up right now, but if I can assist in any other way just ask
No worries buddy, I really appreciate the offer. I should be seeing my t-case side mount any day... I'm thinking that once I bolt that up, it should be telling if it bolts together correctly, or has a gap larger than the bushing. If it is correct, then I assume I have a bushing height issue between the frame and body? Who knows. Lol, this is my life.

Thanks again, I'll do.some more reading tonight, there has to be a simple solution I am not seeing.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:47 AM   #269
jaros44sr

It might be a good solution, raise the body up to what ever you need. I have a lathe and bridgeport, if you need me to build the spacers

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 11-26-2020, 01:06 AM   #270
Spf79

Quote:
It might be a good solution, raise the body up to what ever you need. I have a lathe and bridgeport, if you need me to build the spacers
Oh man!!! I'm flattered that you would be willing to do that for me, I really appreciate it, but I can't ask that of you. It is far above and beyond what I expected when I asked for some thoughts on figuring this out. Thank you so much.

From what I can see, all of my body mounts are on flat against the body, but not tight. This is except for my passenger side front. It seems to have a 1/2 or 3/4" drop at the outside, looks bent... . On a side note,, I noticed that when I took this Blazer apart, they had 1/8" thick washers between the body and top of mount. I kept those, and I will put them back in. I will also shim the one mount so that it is flat, and I will try a 1/2" drop on the transfer case. I think this will work. I have some chevrolet old school script valve covers that are more rounded and less square I can try if my M/T covers stop fitting...

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it? I guess...

I hope you all have a safe and happy Thanksgiving!!
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2020, 10:55 AM   #271
jaros44sr

It really isn't a bother, I'm a retired machinist always looking for something to do, so
after i tinker on the Jimmy. I would guess a couple of minutes on the bandsaw, then the lathe, project should be done in short order. Round stock should be available from McMaster's the next day.

I just figured out your avatar, think it means sunscreen (SPF), and if it does, then it would be helping a fellow fisherman out. Just don't ask for a fly pattern that's working on the river lol
Ps, I fish for 35 lbs salmon, and 20lb steelhead, never saw a sturgeon where I fish lol, only have one steelhead mounted in 40 years of fishing, all catch and release

That body mount does look to be bent, I have one of those as well, if you want to drill rivets, PITA

Anyway, wishing you and your family have a safe and happy Thanksgiving, keep in touch

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 11-26-2020 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:55 PM   #272
Spf79

Quote:
It really isn't a bother, I'm a retired machinist always looking for something to do, so
after i tinker on the Jimmy. I would guess a couple of minutes on the bandsaw, then the lathe, project should be done in short order. Round stock should be available from McMaster's the next day.

I just figured out your avatar, think it means sunscreen (SPF), and if it does, then it would be helping a fellow fisherman out. Just don't ask for a fly pattern that's working on the river lol
Ps, I fish for 35 lbs salmon, and 20lb steelhead, never saw a sturgeon where I fish lol, only have one steelhead mounted in 40 years of fishing, all catch and release

That body mount does look to be bent, I have one of those as well, if you want to drill rivets, PITA

Anyway, wishing you and your family have a safe and happy Thanksgiving, keep in touch
Sorry for the slow reply.

I wish I could say I was that slick, but that is just my initials and birthdate.
Although I mainly enjoy kokanee fishing. Unfortunately I get so dang seasick when trying to go out out for tuna. ... tuna is a crazy bloodbath, and my favorite. Sadly I've never had the chance to do any fly fishing. It is on the list.
Although what makes my head shake is the guy's spraying everything down with WD40 when fishing for sturgeon. We caught a lot that day, but have been skunked the last couple of time it has been opened for us. WD40... never thought I would see that? Honestly I have been doing far more bird hunting than anything over the last couple of years. Elk and deer season have become a pita with all of the public land being overun due to the private timber companies requiring permits to hunt their acreage. Honestly thinking about it, I need to get my boys out more with a pole in their hand.

Funny, since I am Q-ball bald... it should stand for SPF, the last time I was on a fishing trip... I got burned so bad on my head that it looked like I was in a house fire. Lol, my son put his hand on my head when I got home and then my wife took a picture of his hand print after. I was sick as a dog. Ha!

Yes sir, frame/body mount... total PITA, I had to use a jack with a 2x4 to try and get it straightened. I got it back about a 1/2" out of the 3/4" I was dealing with... it is a really good way to try and get hurt as well, let's say that. So far it is close enough and I may pay for that statement when aligning fenders.

Thank you so much for the offer to help, it is truly appreciated!!
I hope you have a great week!!!
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2020, 11:45 PM   #273
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Do you have adequate t-case clearance now?
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2020, 04:29 AM   #274
Spf79

Quote:
Do you have adequate t-case clearance now?
Negative, but thank you for checking in on me.

I am better than where I started. Once I did the hillbilly 2x4 method, I had also noticed that the sides of the body mount on the frame were bowed out. I used a dead blow hammer to get them tucked back in straight. I performed this high IQ process a couple of times and appeared to get the mount moved back up about a 1/2".

The body puck fits with less than a 1/4" gap, I can move it around easily, but not pull it out due to the lip catching on the frame mounting hole.

There are a couple of knowledgeable 67-72 guys here where I live that have run into this transfer case issue before. No one had a reason why.. One of them shimmed the body up with large washers, and one dropped the transfer case down a smidge. I'd rather shim the transfer case down a touch than lift the body any higher. There was also the suggestion of moving the whole moter, tranny and t-case forward to the c10 position. I'll pass on that one.

I have a fair amount of items to attack at the moment. I will get the wiring under the dash complete before I mount the doors... once the doors are mounted and I start putting the fenders on, I'll figure out what needs to be done with this body mount. I assume that it will mess with door alignment if I crank it down how it is.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:01 AM   #275
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Check. Any idea what occurred to bend the mount? Are the other mounts in good shape? I’m still puzzled by the lack of TC clearance and wonder if a settling tub because of sagging mounts could be the cause.