The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > LSx Classifieds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2015, 03:09 PM   #1
68c10airstream

Shiftworks speedo mechanical/elec. conversion

I've just removed my shiftworks brand conversion for 1998 and up 4l60/65e. This conversion allows you to run a mechanical speedometer cable and the electric VSS signal out of the same extension housing. This worked smooth as glass. Go to shiftworks.com and look up part #sw42-a. I still have my receipt for $510.00 from the summer of 09. Current price is $600.00 plus shipping. I'm including my original speedo cable that worked good also. Asking $300.00 OBO [IMG]DSC05303[/IMG]including shipping in the USA.
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:19 PM   #2
68c10airstream

Re: Shiftworks speedo mechanical/elec. conversion

I'll try again to post a pic!
Old 03-18-2015, 09:45 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Do you have to make any mods to the shaft? How about speedometer calibration?

Thanks,
LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:34 PM   #4
68c10airstream

Hi Leon, obviously this is for 2wd. First you remove the original extension housing, take a metal cut off wheel and cut through the vss sprocket ($9.00 list part) and remove it. Now slide the sleeve (in the middle of the pic) up the mainshaft with the sprocket end forward. Assemble the adapter to the trans body, install the new extension housing and install your driveshaft. Now you go through the speedo cable adapter hole and position the sleeve where the corkscrew end is centered in the hole. Put locktite on the allen socket set screws to hold the sleeve in place. Now for speedo calibrations. Shiftworks can look up what you need for the plastic gear needed on a chart (this is included and mine i will have to double check, i believe 37 tooth) and what is called the adapter. The adapter is what holds the plastic gear into the extension housing. There are various adapters, each one has a range. Mi adapter i think is for 35-39 tooth range. I was running 26.5" diameter tire with 3.08 axle ratio. This adapter and plastic gear set-up was in use from the 60's till the early 90's so parts should be readily avaliable. Thanks for the interest.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:43 PM   #5
68c10airstream

Leon, called the guy that makes this for shiftworks and he would exchange (if needed) the silver sprocket piece in the middle of the pic. He didn't disclose exchange price but a purchase without trade is $135.00. I double checked my sprocket piece (speedometer drive gear) and it is the most popular 15 tooth. I looked on ebay for the plastic driven gear (mine is 35 tooth) and they sell in the $10.00-12.00 range. if that's all you need. Major changes would require a different adapter and gear, these pairs are about $40.00 for the pair (adapter and plastic gear). I believe after checking parts for gm transmissions that the metal drive 15 tooth gear is from a turbo 400 and he adapts this with a sprocket on his own made-up sleeve with set screws. I will try and verify this tomorrow. An additional variable here is to use a ratio box (approx $60.00) to slow down and fine tune the speedo cable output from the trans. I'll try and follow up tomorrow with a summary of all possibilities, i just wanted to get some info out to you right away.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:36 PM   #6
Undone

I will offer 250.00 shipped.
Undone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:46 PM   #7
68c10airstream

sounds good, i will pm you shortly.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:25 PM   #8
Undone

Payment sent.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:00 AM   #9
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Thanks for taking the time to explain everything. I forgot about posting in the thread. I was trying to decide whether to do something like this or go with the Speedhut GPS speedometer. (which I already have one in my Green '67) This worked out OK since I think I will go with the Speedhut GPS unit. Price would have been about the same either way.

Thanks again.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:02 PM   #10
68c10airstream

Undone, thanks for the payment. My wife will be taking the box to the post office tomorrow (monday) and sending it out priority mail. Priority mail goes anywhere in the usa in 2-3 days. I suspect thursday at the latest. You will find a free gift inside, a speedo cable reduction box (goes in between the end of the cable and the trans) I've had it for 25 years and it might as well be in your garage rather than mine. I believe it's reduction is 33% so it slows down the speed coming from the trans 33%. Call me if you have any questions with the install, phone #'s on original receipt inside box. You will probably find my packing skills interesting. Good luck.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:10 PM   #11
Undone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68c10airstream View Post
Undone, thanks for the payment. My wife will be taking the box to the post office tomorrow (monday) and sending it out priority mail. Priority mail goes anywhere in the usa in 2-3 days. I suspect thursday at the latest. You will find a free gift inside, a speedo cable reduction box (goes in between the end of the cable and the trans) I've had it for 25 years and it might as well be in your garage rather than mine. I believe it's reduction is 33% so it slows down the speed coming from the trans 33%. Call me if you have any questions with the install, phone #'s on original receipt inside box. You will probably find my packing skills interesting. Good luck.
Got it today, really great packing, wish everybody took that much care. Thanks for the extra's and the great deal.