The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-22-2017, 06:38 AM   #26
tutone

Re: Scars are in?

I didn't know it was cool either, I have just been too lazy to finish welding the inside bed panels and put the bed wood in. Now that I have found out that it is the "in" thing, finishing up and making it look factory, may devalue my devalued truck even more. Take that you dead horse!
Attached Images

1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:47 AM   #27
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I'll stick with knowing with what "I" like and not being concerned with what people who need trends to follow do.
This! times one million.

Especially when Freiberger is involved.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:49 AM   #28
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post

About the long bed guys who come out of the woodwork to announce that a sheet of plywood doesn't fit a short bed with tailgate up, I don't think there is anyone here that hasn't figured that out. I've had guys saying that type of comment all my life when I bring up one of my short beds. "Those things can't haul squat", etc. That's when I tell them, "That's why I have always owned at least one 8-lugger. You see, I'm such a truck kinda guy that a short bed is my car. A car that can haul almost as much as my long bed". Another good one is "Makes you wonder why GM has been building them since day 1"
We are on the same wavelength today.

We've had a short box around since 1969. Light hauling, light trailering and driving back and forth to work. My 2500 HD that I got a year ago is my first departure into a "big" truck (but it's a short box, too).

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:07 AM   #29
sambrutay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
This! times one million.

Especially when Freiberger is involved.

K
It wasn't Freiburger's point of view.

1964 C10 SWB #Junk
1979 C10 utility #cargopants (sold)
1971 GMC Sprint (sold)
1974 GMC Grande Sierra (sold)
sambrutay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:56 AM   #30
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

If you stretch a short bed the welds won't be scars. They'll be stretch marks......

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:02 AM   #31
hewittca

As ybnormal pointed out, threads like this really highlight the discrepancy and reason why there really are two segregated groups of GM truck enthusiasts. I'm the type that loves all trucks and appreciate the time and effort that the owners put into building the trucks the way they want, which is why I love this forum and Instagram for keeping up with other truck enthusiasts.

That being said, now onto the topic of this thread. Yes, it has become fairly common for the patina'd truck guys to leave their bed scars, especially on the slammed/big wheel trucks. To me, it is an anomaly of the strict adherence to the mentality of leaving the outside finish completely untouched while hot rodding everything under the sheetmetal. Personally, I don't like the scars but I do love the patina. If it were me, I'd at least paint the scars to match the patina, but they aren't my trucks! Here's a few examples.

In fact, even the Delmo built cover truck for the current Builder's Guide is sporting bed scars.

Here's an example of my personal favorite approach. This is atponder's shortened truck with the scars painted to match the original patina.

-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:25 AM   #32
my56chevytruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-k View Post
i'll stick with knowing with what "i" like and not being concerned with what people who need trends to follow do.
double ditto!!
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:10 PM   #33
jeffahart

I didn't think it was a long bed cut to short debate, I thought it was about a trend to do a Chitty job then pawn it off as cool. That's why I say, crap is crap.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:15 PM   #34
Robznob11

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBNORML View Post
Threads like this are the reason why so many guys have taken their build threads to places like Instagram.

So what if it’s become stylish to prove that you’ve done amazing work building the trucks of your dreams?

Some of the comments here are fine. But what I can’t stand is the ones where people to justify their crap by belittling the choices of others. There are literally hundreds of thousands of these trucks out there. Despite what some of us think, these trucks will never be 69’ Z28 rare.

Build what you want. Don’t like what others build? ignore their style and build your own. The scene would be pretty damn boring if every single truck looked the same.
I have to agree with you on this! So here is also what i believe is the main reason the scars are in..... Most people dont have the skills to cut down the bed and weld it back together in a way that is clean enough to display! They cobbel it together and then slop bondo over it to cover their mistakes. In the true custom world you see not only scars but also full, chopped, channeled ,modded etc....sometimes in full bare metal....that proves whoever put it together is bad a$$ and proud to show their work to others! Now with that being said...my truck is a real short bed and i made the choice to go custom paint....yea as some say it displays well and looks presentable but.......I sometimes regret that choice. The reason being i feel like I cant go drive it like i want to. I might chip it, or someone might touch it etc....I can respect the guys that have crazy awesome rides and go drive the you know what out of them! If it breaks fix it and hammer down some more! I also agree these trucks will never be as rare as a 69z28 lol. And yea bed sides are expensive but I doubt that is the reason people cut down long beds...even at a grand each that is pocket change to the other mods you see on most trucks wearing scars....Its more about the satisfaction of the build and also using the original iron/patina. At least the american iron should please some of the naysayers here��. But probably not ....I'll be thrown under the bus after all I am driving a heavily modified C10 shorty that has been cut on by my wretched hands!��
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS

Last edited by Robznob11; 11-22-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:17 PM   #35
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I fully intend to finish mine off. I don't get going through the time and effort of correctly shortening a bed, only to leave the welds exposed to rust. I plan on painting and sealing mine front and back.

1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:18 PM   #36
BLT gmc

Now that is my kind of humor. laughing, Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
If you stretch a short bed the welds won't be scars. They'll be stretch marks......
BLT gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:48 PM   #37
Willie Makeit

the one's that are really amusing are those that share their opinion on why you are wrong for not thinking the same as them.

those guys are easy to spot: they're the ones that know the most and are constantly reminding everyone around them how much they know.
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:53 PM   #38
i82much

Putting bed scars on your truck because some writer says it is cool is exactly the same as your middle school daughter dying her hair green because her friends say it is cool. The only difference is that she is young and will grow up one day, whereas you are just a 50-something dip****.
i82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:07 PM   #39
Coley

Well....mine is a long bed and I've always liked the sleek, long look.
That said, I've really come to appreciate the short beds too....particularly the stepside trucks.
As for shortening them....well its rampant and it apparently seems pretty easy to do, so many guys are now doing it....seemingly on ever other truck, lol.
All the more power to them....

For every long bed that is shortened and lowered (..and there are now thousands of them)......the value drops on the next short bed.
Not being negative here....but when something is no longer a rare commodity....the pricing goes down.
Short/fleets used to be appear to be kind of rare.....now they seem to be 50% of the classic trucks out there.....and climbing.

Plus, as more guys solve out how to do it and it becomes increasingly 'text book' (if it isn't already) and something that youtube presents as a weekend yard project, then the short/fleets won't be subject to (previous) 'short/fleet bed pricing'...they'll just look for a long bed and do it themselves in a weekend with a little elbow grease.

The guys (sellers) with the original short/fleets are already qualifying and distancing themselves from the 'cut down' trucks in their ads, etc. in terms of establishing higher values for the original ones....which makes reasonable sense.

Regardless.....I don't sweat someones choice in trucks....I even give the thumbs up to the old fords I see on the road these days......all 'brothers in arms'.

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500

Last edited by Coley; 11-22-2017 at 02:09 PM.
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:26 PM   #40
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Guess my humor is different from others. Some take things a little too literal that even the laffy face smilie I always use doesn't work anymore.

I dig all trucks... short beds, long beds, fleet sides, step sides, lifted, lowered and all in between.

The internet is, well... just the internet.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:36 PM   #41
ho70

Since I have one of each...........C10 short beds are the rock stars of the hot rod world right now, why, because they are different, kinda like ur ugly cuzin with big boobs, just sayin
ho70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:09 PM   #42
YBNORML

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
I didn't think it was a long bed cut to short debate, I thought it was about a trend to do a Chitty job then pawn it off as cool. That's why I say, crap is crap.
The trucks being referred to aren’t “Chitty” as you say jobs, these are panels that have been cut down and welded back together with no warping and barely a dimes width of disturbed paint. If you think that is a “chitty” job? I’d really like to see what you think is a good job.
Personally I like to see the scars disappear and be blended in, especially if it was my truck, but I also love looking at the work.

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:28 PM   #43
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Our 327 3 speed short bed...

And will stay this way.
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2017, 03:32 PM   #44
Coley

Its pretty clear....we need to start a new trend....wherein we change the lengths of all the trucks, long and short.... to exactly the 1/2 point between a stock long bed and the short bed....let's say the new best length....is 122".
who's in?.....best to lead a trend, than follow one, lol.

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:39 PM   #45
Grumpy old man

Next thing you know everybody will be wearing their hat sideways with baggy pants with their boxers hanging out sitting on the side of the road with blown out air bags !
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:46 PM   #46
dozerbill72

Operantly this forum is no place for a sense of humor.
dozerbill72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:01 PM   #47
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I definitely get that their are builders that do it to show their metal work skills. But, I really think the finished patina like hewittca posted looks more under the radar and blends in.

I definitely didn't start this thread to divide sides. I'll be the first to say I like different. Not just a little but full wtf is that? AKA my vette. Haha
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:14 PM   #48
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Next thing you know everybody will be wearing their hat sideways with baggy pants with their boxers hanging out sitting on the side of the road with blown out air bags !
I just shot soda pop out my nose...

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:46 PM   #49
Chevyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewittca View Post
As ybnormal pointed out, threads like this really highlight the discrepancy and reason why there really are two segregated groups of GM truck enthusiasts. I'm the type that loves all trucks and appreciate the time and effort that the owners put into building the trucks the way they want, which is why I love this forum and Instagram for keeping up with other truck enthusiasts.

That being said, now onto the topic of this thread. Yes, it has become fairly common for the patina'd truck guys to leave their bed scars, especially on the slammed/big wheel trucks. To me, it is an anomaly of the strict adherence to the mentality of leaving the outside finish completely untouched while hot rodding everything under the sheetmetal. Personally, I don't like the scars but I do love the patina. If it were me, I'd at least paint the scars to match the patina, but they aren't my trucks! Here's a few examples.

In fact, even the Delmo built cover truck for the current Builder's Guide is sporting bed scars.

Here's an example of my personal favorite approach. This is atponder's shortened truck with the scars painted to match the original patina.

I personally wouldn’t own any of those trucks
But
With the pics shown and the explanation
I now understand it more now
And can appreciate it

It definitely feels like this site leans more to the stock crowd
Myself included

I think it’s all in fun
Trucks are trucks
Just different opinions how to present them

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1sONfxPCTU0

Last edited by Chevyland; 11-22-2017 at 06:27 PM.
Chevyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:57 PM   #50
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBNORML View Post
The trucks being referred to aren’t “Chitty” as you say jobs, these are panels that have been cut down and welded back together with no warping and barely a dimes width of disturbed paint. If you think that is a “chitty” job? I’d really like to see what you think is a good job.
Personally I like to see the scars disappear and be blended in, especially if it was my truck, but I also love looking at the work.

I will have to concede the fact, thought I'm usually up for some good arguments, that I have not actually seen the trucks he's referring too. I would have to give them a look over to not generalize the body work as crap. But if it's good body work then the resale might be there. But hey, getting people talking about your stuff/build is a good way to get exposure. I will give them that anyway.

Sooooo.... good body work or not: I will change my position that the general idea of these builds, in my eyes now, is for click bait. Looks like crap, but is really nice. How about that.