The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2021, 03:49 PM   #1
MAC71Cheyenne

Heater control head lighting, works..then not.

This one has me stumped. The bulb n socket on the right side work fine when it is out of the head and grounded by just touching the bottom lip of the dash or the back of the head. Once the bulb/socket is fully inserted it goes out. Socket tabs are making contact with the case its not loose, and bulb is fully seated. As soon as you loosen the socket and back it out a smidge it lights up. No strain on the socket wire...

The wire and socket for the left side blower speed is m.I.a at this point but moving from right to left it lights up but is dim. There is no other wires touching the controls with the exception of the blower switch wiring.
Sounds like a bad ground or short but test light grounded to the head lights up like it should and is not dim.
MAC71Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 11:28 PM   #2
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Heater control head lighting, works..then not.

Did you check to make sure the bulb is correct for the socket and it's not got a loose filment.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 12:53 AM   #3
MAC71Cheyenne

Re: Heater control head lighting, works..then not.

I did...New 168's. Socket contacts are good. Bulb is tight with no wiggles. Makes no sense, Upon contact with the back of the housing it lights up as it should, works perfect until seated in the back of the case. There is no obstruction between the bulb head and back side of the display. Screwy!
Old 01-16-2021, 12:49 PM   #4
dmjlambert

I had a license plate light that did that same thing. I took the socket off the truck, cleaned it up really well, cleaned up the hole in the bumper, tested it off the truck and it worked fine. No matter what I did, it did not work when inserted all the way onto the truck. In my case the only thing to do was replace the socket assembly, and then it worked fine. I am pretty confident at fixing electric stuff, but that bulb assembly was mysterious.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 02:39 PM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Heater control head lighting, works..then not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC71Cheyenne View Post
I did...New 168's. Socket contacts are good. Bulb is tight with no wiggles. Makes no sense, Upon contact with the back of the housing it lights up as it should, works perfect until seated in the back of the case. There is no obstruction between the bulb head and back side of the display. Screwy!
Take a jumper wire and place it into the fitting of the socket. The clips that hold it in place and touch it to a good spot to ground it and see what happens.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:38 PM   #6
MAC71Cheyenne

Spark! Test prob worked too...can't get up there to see but next step is to clean up the mountain hole inside edge with some emery cloth. Got to finish installing my dash pad first, got sidetracked with this mess. Clean, power, ground...shouldn't be that hard right Andy?
Old 01-16-2021, 09:12 PM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Heater control head lighting, works..then not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC71Cheyenne View Post
Spark! Test prob worked too...can't get up there to see but next step is to clean up the mountain hole inside edge with some emery cloth. Got to finish installing my dash pad first, got sidetracked with this mess. Clean, power, ground...shouldn't be that hard right Andy?

Yea, if you say so sir!
Electrical work can be the most frustrating work there is sometimes
!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club