The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2015, 04:59 PM   #1
rez_dawg

1980 Chevy K5 4x4, auto, sbc 350 4 bbl Q-Jet -NEED VACUUM LINE ROUTING DIAGRAM !!

I bought my 1980 Chevy K5 Blazer from a guy that lives in a county here in AZ that does not require emissions testing. I live in Maricopa County (Scottsdale, AZ) where yearly emissions testing is required for vehicles after 1967 & newer.

The p/o of my Blazer removed all the emissions vac lines, capped off the charcoal canister, thankfully he left it attached to the core support inner wall, but it also has had an intake manifold "upgrade" to an Edelbrock Performer w/o EGR inlet. The carb is a Rochester Q-Jet 17080206, which is original to the truck. I converted it to electric choke, it was originally hot air. I removed the stove & vac choke line, capped the inlet on the manifold, capped the fresh air vac ports on the carb (both at the choke housing & on the back of the carb where the stove/vac line attaches).

The vacuum hose routing diagram sticker on top of the core support was faded and was of no help. Has since been removed and the core support painted. Now that I need to go through emissions testing I need to get this Blazer's vacuum lines set up the way it is meant to be.

I have not been able to find the right/correct diagram. I found these two on AutoZone's website, which make sense, but if anyone can post some pics, or IF anyone in my area could get in touch with me in regards to this I would greatly appreciate any and all help!

This first pic is the one I am leaning towards, but what "efe's" would I need? Also, is the EFE in the bottom left hand corner referring to the EFE ACTUATOR? I am assuming I need to get the stock air cleaner and an intake manifold with the EGR inlet, an EGR along with all that is noted in order to get this thing emissions ready, right?

I have never had to deal with emissions for an older vehicle as we lived in a county that did not require testing and when we did live in Maricopa County prior we have two daily drivers that are newer and have no issues passing emissions.

Any and all help appreciated, guys!! Thanks in advance.

IF anyone locally has these parts I need, along with knowledge to lend a hand I make some great custom knives I would be happy to help you obtain

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is the 2nd diagram autozone gives for my year.....

[IMG][/IMG]
rez_dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:19 PM   #2
rez_dawg

Re: 1980 Chevy K5 4x4, auto, sbc 350 4 bbl Q-Jet -NEED VACUUM LINE ROUTING DIAGRAM !!

BTW, here is my 1980 Chevy K5 Blazer......

Also, there is a guy located near 35th ave & Union Hills area of Phx that rebuilds Chevy Steering columns that I found on craigslist. I have since lost touch with him. He recommended this site to me. Awesome knowledgeable guy! I am hoping I can find him, although it has been a couple months and cant remember his name, JEFF, I believe ????

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-19-2015, 10:24 PM   #3
SilverMiner

Re: 1980 Chevy K5 4x4, auto, sbc 350 4 bbl Q-Jet -NEED VACUUM LINE ROUTING DIAGRAM !!

Hello, rez_dawg - glad you found this site. Lots of good info here, lets see if I can contribute some.

I'm the proud owner of a 1980 K10 Suburban which appears to have nearly identical major options to your '80 K5: 350SB, auto trans, AC, etc. I just recently ditched the TH350C lockup trans that my Burb came with and replaced it with a plain jane TH350, but either way I suspect my core support sticker will be of some help to you (see attached pic).

I'm blessed to live here in Idaho where I don't have to deal with emission testing, but I'm sure somebody from either Arizona or California will chime in with more specific suggestions. I can tell you that the EFE-TVS is a multi-port vacuum switch mounted in the water neck on top of the thermostat. Not sure where the EGR-TVS is located. I suspect you may have difficulty with the non-EGR Edelbrock intake, but who knows what the rules might be in Arizona. Probably better than California.
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2015, 02:15 AM   #4
rez_dawg

Thanks, SilverMiner...

I already have my mind set on getting an intake manifold with EGR port, an EGR and any other necessary components, although tedious it must be done if I want to drive it, which I do.

I don't see any signs that my Blazer had an A.I.R. pump on it other than the folded over exhaust smog pump tubes, although my Blazer was/is not a California vehicle. I believe the exhaust manifolds were replacements put in at the the block was replaced. I don't need the smog set up. It looks like you have the same set up as in the 2nd diagram I posted. Thanks for the info! It is much appreciated.

IF anyone has all the vacuum lines in use any pics would be much appreciated.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:57 AM   #5
rez_dawg

Correction.... I noticed a few differences in your sticker, SilverMiner, and my 2nd diagram. I guess I needed a closer look. lol.

IF ANYONE HAS ANY OF THESE EMISSIONS COMPONENTS LAYING AROUND (SEE THE DIAGRAM IN MY FIRST POSTING) PM ME, PLEASE!!! I CAN CERTAINLY USE THEM.... LET'S TALK

Thanks in advance.....

Last edited by rez_dawg; 05-20-2015 at 03:04 AM.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:04 PM   #6
SilverMiner

My rig does not have an A.I.R. pump, and I'm confident it never has. Not sure why it's on the diagram but they may be more generic than I thought.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:52 AM   #7
rez_dawg

I guess I expected a little more from this forum, or it's members. I have figured out answers to my own questions and have acquired all that I need in order to get my K5 back to stock and ready for emissions.

Thanks anyhow.....

This thread should be considered closed, "solved".
Old 06-02-2015, 08:14 AM   #8
JIMs70GMC
user # 2756

Glad to hear you solved your problem. Although you have a K5, I would post similar issues that apply to trucks as well in the 73-87 truck forum, way more visibility. I have been in the same situation.
1986 M1031 6.2 diesel, TH400/NP205 locker in the rear and a LS in the front, all stock for now.....
1986 K30, 350/400/205 dana 60 and 14 bolt. I kept the drivetrain. Body/bad and chassis are gone.
1981 K30, 350/465/205 dana 60 and dually 14 bolt. Has a G80, and a flat bed. Going to replace the flat bed.

1985 K20, 350/400/208 10 bolt and SF 14 bolt. I wonder where I can find some 1 tons. Hmmmmm
JIMs70GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:17 AM   #9
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Quote:
Originally Posted by rez_dawg View Post
Correction.... I noticed a few differences in your sticker, SilverMiner, and my 2nd diagram. I guess I needed a closer look. lol.

IF ANYONE HAS ANY OF THESE EMISSIONS COMPONENTS LAYING AROUND (SEE THE DIAGRAM IN MY FIRST POSTING) PM ME, PLEASE!!! I CAN CERTAINLY USE THEM.... LET'S TALK

Thanks in advance.....
So your fine ?no pics needed
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:05 AM   #10
rez_dawg

Sorry, Motornut, I did not get this until now. I am fine and have everything figured out. It was suggested that I post updated pics, info just in case anyone else has this issue, although laws are different these emissions testing requirements are nearly everywhere these days (I should say "in many places these days"). My situation does not apply to anyone from California (just an FYI in case a Cali. member finds the thread ??)

As stated, I live in Maricopa County, AZ (Scottsdale) so testing is mandatory. Depending on where you go to have the test done there is also an visual inspection that takes place, although I have heard there are designated testing facilities that save time by NOT doing a visual inspection, or, that some will have you pop the hood, they glance and if you are passing/have passed not much attention is paid to the "glancing" into your engine bay.

This may come as a surprise to some, but I actually want my Blazer to have the emissions stuff in tact and functional. I had a guy offer to help me pass with fake 'plumbing' by tinkering with the timing, rebuilding my carb and asked if I wasted to borrow his "loaner" MSD HEI ignition. I thanked him, but for $160 I could just continue to acquire all that I needed to put back in.

The first part I went out and acquired was the stock cast iron 4bbl intake manifold with EGR. And believe it or not the Edelbreock performer that took out made the Blazer run like crap compared to the stock manifold. Smoother idle, although I had to slightly adjust the carb.

Here is the stock intake manifold I acquired. This is AFTER I spent some time on it. I never think to get a BEFORE pic, although not the point of the post. It wasn't rusty but pretty grimey. It was painted black. Anyhow, while self explanitory...I needed the EGR port, EGR Valve. I got lucky in that the intake manifold came with an working EGR-TVS as well. Another part needed
in my trek to getting ready for emissions testing.

OUT with the old...!!! As you see, no EGR port. I could have purchased an Edelbrock intake manifold with EGR port, but these things are just not my thing. I have purchased a few vehicles, engines with these installed and i'm just not sold on them. It's all a matter of opinion, right?

Last edited by rez_dawg; 06-17-2015 at 03:22 AM.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:36 AM   #11
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Good info, thanks for posting it.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:28 PM   #12
rez_dawg

Through research, talking with friends in the know, we have come up with the conclusion that this vac routing diagram is the correct vac routing for my year, model/options.

I had to hunt down the EFE-TVS (vac port switch-pictured below) which Geekparts.com has, and at the best price. Many know about this site, but if you don't check it out!! You will find just about everything you need. I do not have the EFE on my exhaust manifold, so no worries there.

Here she is all put back together, although I snapped the pic before getting the EGR/EGR-TVS switch completely hooked up. As stated previously, I already have the charcoal canister still installed, capped off and in great, working condition.

I also have the EFE-TVS check valve as well as the distributor delay valve. Both were under the rear seat which was a nice, pleasant surprise, although they're not very expensive at Napa. If your Napa doesn't have them they can order them in for you, or you can order via Napa's website. Other places I have checked before were as high %500 markup. $50 on ebay was probably the highest.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:49 PM   #13
rez_dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUISER View Post
Good info, thanks for posting it.
Thanks. I do have a few more pics, info to post. If it all helps anyone then it is time well spent. I know how frustrating it can be if you are new to this emissions deal. I know emissions ready is the last thing a youngin' may think of when he sees an awesome classic, be it a "heap" or a nice cruiser. I got into this Blazer knowing it would have to be done IF our home up in Northern AZ indeed was going up for sale (registered it in that county which does not require emissions testing then moving back to a county that does require it). I just didn't think that far into it. Now that that is no longer an option it is time to get it ready so that I can test it and register here in Maricopa county to my current address. Basically I have 90 days from the time I switched my address. Or so I have been told by the DMV.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:03 PM   #14
rez_dawg

The EFE-TVS vac port screws into a ported thermostat housing (some call them "water neck", others call it "water port" or "water outlet"--whatever works) At the current time I have the sending unit for the electric fan installed onto it as I have not had the chance to get the EFE-TVS check/delay valves installed. My fan clutch started making horrible noises. It was a great time to try out this electric fan set up I bought for my 76' 4x4 Cheyenne blazer and never installed. The wiring kit is an always on kit (when ignition key is turned on the fan powers on, fan/relay powers off when the ignition is turned off). I added the sending unit to see if there was a difference. I may get a dual port thermo housing, but there is not much difference in the operation of the fan with the exception of the 5 minutes the fan isn't on when starting. I don't want to spend too much time on the electric fan here.

When I remove the fan's sending unit the EFE-TVS will go in the sending units place.