The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2017, 10:07 PM   #1
Swac

Thumbs up HEI Distributor Wiring

I have a 1967 Chevy C10 Step-side and I have switched to a HEI distributor and I am trying to run a 12 g wire from the IGN fuse box through the firewall to the HEI distributor to the positive side. My question is how? Pictures would be greatly appreciated on how to do this and I welcome all suggestions. I am not understanding how to run the wire to the HEI dizzy (i.e., do I unplug the wire that is normally plugged into the port and just run the single 12g wire and put some type of connector into that port?) Again any information would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance! Lastly, any info and pictures on how to wire the 12g to the fuse box would be a great help as well and pictures would be wonderful. Thx again!
Swac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:24 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: HEI Distributor Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swac View Post
I have a 1967 Chevy C10 Step-side and I have switched to a HEI distributor and I am trying to run a 12 g wire from the IGN fuse box through the firewall to the HEI distributor to the positive side. My question is how? Pictures would be greatly appreciated on how to do this and I welcome all suggestions. I am not understanding how to run the wire to the HEI dizzy (i.e., do I unplug the wire that is normally plugged into the port and just run the single 12g wire and put some type of connector into that port?) Again any information would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance! Lastly, any info and pictures on how to wire the 12g to the fuse box would be a great help as well and pictures would be wonderful. Thx again!

There is a terminal in the fuse box marked "IGN UNFUSED" you will need a wire with a female spade terminal on the end of it to plug into that. Then just run the wire through the firewall and figure out the length you will need to to connect it to the "BATT" terminal on the HEI. You will have to install another female spade connector on the wire to connect to the "BATT" terminal.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:33 PM   #3
Swac

I have included two pictures of my actual Fuse Box and the HEI distributor.

Name:  Fuse Box 1.jpg
Views: 4811
Size:  99.2 KB

Name:  Hei.jpg
Views: 4632
Size:  98.5 KB
Old 10-19-2017, 10:36 PM   #4
Swac

Thank You LOCDoc
Old 10-19-2017, 10:50 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
I have included two pictures of my actual Fuse Box and the HEI distributor.

I would say that you need to replace your fuse box, it looks pretty rusty.

Unless you have a tachometer you should only have one wire going to your HEI distributor, and it should be connected to the "Batt" terminal. (the "BATT" & "TACH" terminals should be marked on the distributor cap).....

LockDoc

-
Old 10-19-2017, 10:56 PM   #6
Swac

Will one female spade connector plugged into the IGN Unfused work or does both need to be plugged into it?
Old 10-19-2017, 11:06 PM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Will one female spade connector plugged into the IGN Unfused work or does both need to be plugged into it?
Just one.

LockDoc

-
Old 10-19-2017, 11:25 PM   #8
Swac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post

Unless you have a tachometer you should only have one wire going to your HEI distributor, and it should be connected to the "Batt" terminal. (the "BATT" & "TACH" terminals should be marked on the distributor cap).....

LockDoc
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-19-2017, 11:27 PM   #9
Swac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post

LockDoc
Thank you for the valuable input and I ordered one tonight and again thanx!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-20-2017, 09:05 AM   #10
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Thank you for the valuable input and I ordered one tonight and again thanx!
Posted via Mobile Device

No problem. Let us know how you get along with it....

LockDoc

-
Old 10-20-2017, 11:01 AM   #11
MARKDTN

I would go about this differently. I would replace the wire that went to the coil in the engine harness where it plugs into the fuse block. All the resistor wire is on the engine side. Crimp a type 56 connector onto your new HEI wire and swap it in the block. You can get type 56 connectors at NAPA, CarQuest, GM Dealer, Ebay, etc. Just be sure to disconnect the yellow wire on the starter.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:05 PM   #12
hewittca

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDTN View Post
I would go about this differently. I would replace the wire that went to the coil in the engine harness where it plugs into the fuse block. All the resistor wire is on the engine side. Crimp a type 56 connector onto your new HEI wire and swap it in the block. You can get type 56 connectors at NAPA, CarQuest, GM Dealer, Ebay, etc. Just be sure to disconnect the yellow wire on the starter.
I second this. That's what I did on my conversion. Very simple and I didn't have to run any wires through the firewall. Just replaced that resistor wire and put the right terminal on it and done.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:52 AM   #13
steviemack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDTN View Post
Which wire on the fuse block went to the coil?

I installed a HEI distributor on my 1972 C10 several years ago and I believe we connected the yellow wire going to the coil to the BATT terminal on the distributor while the yellow wire is still connected to the starter's "R" post.

Does this mean that I am getting less than 12 volts to the distributor when running?

I just noticed this today after replacing the starter. I left the yellow wire off the starter and the truck started just fine but I haven't driven it yet.

Please advise.
steviemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:27 AM   #14
dmjlambert

You are probably getting 12V during start and reduced voltage when running, which is for a points type distributor. I suggest look at this
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=708975
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:19 AM   #15
steviemack

Thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:26 PM   #16
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: HEI Distributor Wiring

Simplest way to do this is pull wire that was on the original distributor out of the wrap down to the fuse block. Leave yourself enough wire to splice onto it. Then run new wire back to HEI.

The original wire was a resistor wire but it wasn't the whole length of the wire. I have done this to several trucks and cars with no problems.
The picture is the wire connector on back of the fuse block. Yes I know it needs to be better but it just hasn't been done yet.
The original wire has the cloth jacketing on it so it's easy to follow back to the fuse block.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:14 PM   #17
steviemack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Simplest way to do this is pull wire that was on the original distributor out of the wrap down to the fuse block. Leave yourself enough wire to splice onto it. Then run new wire back to HEI.

The original wire was a resistor wire but it wasn't the whole length of the wire. I have done this to several trucks and cars with no problems.
The picture is the wire connector on back of the fuse block. Yes I know it needs to be better but it just hasn't been done yet.
The original wire has the cloth jacketing on it so it's easy to follow back to the fuse block.
That's alot of wrap between there and the fuse block. Sorry but I don't know what a resistor wire is other than it doesn't carry 12V? You are indicating that since the original wire was a resistor but not the entire length that it would be ok to split into in prior to the the resistor portion closest to the fuse block? How do you tell where the resistor ends?

I am looking at my fuse block on the drivers side firewall next to the brake booster and I am not seeing a wire with a cloth jacketing.

The truck runs pretty darn good with this configuration but now I am curious to know how much better it would run if not getting a full 12V at the distributor BATT post. Now my wheels are spinning about spark plug gap and wire gauge. The only issue I am having is just a very slight hesitation upon acceleration off the light but I was told that the 600 CFM carb as a bit much for the 307.

I have a multimeter but not sure how to test for 12V on the wire currently being used.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:46 PM   #18
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviemack View Post
That's alot of wrap between there and the fuse block. Sorry but I don't know what a resistor wire is other than it doesn't carry 12V? You are indicating that since the original wire was a resistor but not the entire length that it would be ok to split into in prior to the the resistor portion closest to the fuse block? How do you tell where the resistor ends?

I am looking at my fuse block on the drivers side firewall next to the brake booster and I am not seeing a wire with a cloth jacketing.

The truck runs pretty darn good with this configuration but now I am curious to know how much better it would run if not getting a full 12V at the distributor BATT post. Now my wheels are spinning about spark plug gap and wire gauge. The only issue I am having is just a very slight hesitation upon acceleration off the light but I was told that the 600 CFM carb as a bit much for the 307.

I have a multimeter but not sure how to test for 12V on the wire currently being used.
The resistor wire insulation is white, with orange and purple stripes (seriously). That resistor wire is braided, and it is not copper. It's Nichrome, I think. It lays back and forth a couple or three times in the harness to get the voltage drop for a Kettering ignition. It tees into the yellow wire on the "R" terminal on the starter solenoid.

To check, turn the key on and attach the ground probe to a good ground. The coil power wire (yellow) (disconnected from the coil) should read around 7V-9V, somewhere in that area. It will, in any event be much less than battery voltage, if it has the resistor wire intact.

Here's a wiring diagram to help-
Attached Images

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 03:10 PM   #19
slikside

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviemack View Post

The real reason for getting the full 12v to the HEI, is so the HEI module doesn’t fail due to improper voltage, and leave you “high and dry”. It may run great, but over time, without the right voltage the module will fail. Lots of threads on here about this issue...
Old 10-27-2020, 03:48 PM   #20
68 P.O.S.

Not mention coil layer shorting which takes modules out in a split second
Old 10-27-2020, 04:04 PM   #21
Luvlegs

Tried to attach link for how I cleaned up my fuse block. ..https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ght=Fuse+block

Wear your PPE! You can eat with false teeth but you can't see with a false eye.

1959 Studebaker Silverhawk 350/400
1972 C10 L6 3OTT
2005 F350 - Built - whew!
Luvlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:06 PM   #22
Luvlegs

Tried to attach a link to how I cleaned up my fuse block - it's been awhile... https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ght=Fuse+block

Wear your PPE! You can eat with false teeth but you can't see with a false eye.

1959 Studebaker Silverhawk 350/400
1972 C10 L6 3OTT
2005 F350 - Built - whew!
Luvlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:13 PM   #23
steviemack

Quote:
Originally Posted by slikside View Post
The real reason for getting the full 12v to the HEI, is so the HEI module doesn’t fail due to improper voltage, and leave you “high and dry”. It may run great, but over time, without the right voltage the module will fail. Lots of threads on here about this issue...
So my buddy and I just got it tested. It's only getting 7-9V, so definitely need to run a new wire!
Old 11-02-2020, 02:56 AM   #24
steviemack

So when I upgraded the manifold and the stock 2 barrell caburetor to a 4 barrell, there was a two pronged electrical connector attached to the 2 barrell carb and a hot wire connected to the choke. I left the two pronged connector disconnected and connected the hot wire to the 4 barrell choke.

The two pronged connector also had a hot side putting out 12V only with key on. Today I ran a wire from the hot side of the two pronged connector to my 4 barrell choke and connected the original hot wire connected to the carburetors choke to HEI BATT terminal. This wire was also putting out 12V only with key on and appears to go directly to the fuse box inside the cab. Both wires are part of the original wiring.

Any thoughts on this configuration?

Last edited by steviemack; 11-02-2020 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Insert Images
Old 11-02-2020, 10:42 AM   #25
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

What gauge is the wire? The HEI likes as close to battery voltage as you can get it, that's why it's a 12 ga (?) wire. The wire you have may have too much voltage drop when the engine is running. You could check that easily enough, just check with the voltmeter at the connector on the distributor. Is your meter high impedance? It should say on it. I'd recommend a high impedance meter so that not too much power is taken off the wire when you sample it, which could make the voltage reading lower.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote