The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2020, 05:22 PM   #326
88Stanger

Re: Starting 1966 Factory Short Bed Build, Bagged, 383 Stroker and Muncie M20 4-Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
A quick easy way to mark a straight line around a pipe or tube is to cut a strip of heavy paper or poster board say 1-1/2 or 2" wide long enough to wrap around the circumference of the pipe. Wrap it around the pipe, lining up the edges and either hold it or secure it with tape. Then mark the pipe using the edge.
Great idea. I thought about something similar to this and was goofing around with how to achieve it.
So i am not sure i am getting my question out correctly. I did some further research and what i am trying to do is make Pipe or Exhaust Pie Cuts to make bends or radius for my exhaust routing. Why on earth I could not come up with the words "Pie Cut" is beyond me, LOL. I do though like the idea on how to make a straight cut on pipe with the poster board... i will be using this idea.
Funny how a simple thing like this is there and yet I never thought or knew of this.
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:29 PM   #327
SCOTI

Re: Starting 1966 Factory Short Bed Build, Bagged, 383 Stroker and Muncie M20 4-Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
Great idea. I thought about something similar to this and was goofing around with how to achieve it.
So i am not sure i am getting my question out correctly. I did some further research and what i am trying to do is make Pipe or Exhaust Pie Cuts to make bends or radius for my exhaust routing. Why on earth I could not come up with the words "Pie Cut" is beyond me, LOL. I do though like the idea on how to make a straight cut on pipe with the poster board... i will be using this idea.
Funny how a simple thing like this is there and yet I never thought or knew of this.
I always use worm-gear/radiator-hose clamps for marking straight/360° cut lines on tubing. They come in all kinds of sizes & are adjustable as needed. We all usually have several used ones lying around as well.

My recommendation for partially cutting through then tipping over & repeating the process on tubing yields a pie-cut. Once your pipe/tube is 'tipped' over enough, you can repeat the process on the next piece w/the same number of cuts to return back to straight.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:37 PM   #328
88Stanger

Update:
So i got the replacement panels for the entire passenger side door area and floor in. Floor is almost fully welded in, along with the pillar area, then after door install check was good i was Spot welding in the bottom outside door panel and well out of gas for the welder i go.... damnit.... lol
Old 10-30-2020, 10:47 AM   #329
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I always use worm-gear/radiator-hose clamps for marking straight/360° cut lines on tubing. They come in all kinds of sizes & are adjustable as needed. We all usually have several used ones lying around as well.

My recommendation for partially cutting through then tipping over & repeating the process on tubing yields a pie-cut. Once your pipe/tube is 'tipped' over enough, you can repeat the process on the next piece w/the same number of cuts to return back to straight.
Great Ideas!! Thanks for all the suggestions, I really appreciate them all.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:49 AM   #330
88Stanger

So i was looking and found that you can use a miter saw with a special metal blade. I found this vey interesting because I have two of them, one i use for my wood projects and then second is just a spare laying around, well it is now going to be my new Metal cutting miter!
Old 10-30-2020, 10:59 AM   #331
88Stanger

Few update Pics.... up to the point where I run out of welding gas... lol

Just a note, as everyone has mentioned before.... the damn patch panels you get are not perfect.... by any means, even when you think they would be or should be.... NOPE! LOL
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2020, 12:32 PM   #332
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Progress looks good. It looks like you got new bolts for the door hinges. Where did you get them as they look like the originals better then some I have seen?

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 07:13 PM   #333
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
Progress looks good. It looks like you got new bolts for the door hinges. Where did you get them as they look like the originals better then some I have seen?
They came with the new Hinges. Now from whom i got them... lol. it was either LMC or Classic Industries. I only say because one had rights and one had lefts, so i was making a huge order from each, so i am not sure who had them honestly.
Old 11-04-2020, 10:54 AM   #334
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Thanks!

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 03:28 PM   #335
88Stanger

Ok everyone, i am in need of some advice. I am now ready to replace the inner and outer header panels where the windshield goes. Here is my question:
1.) Do i do outer one first then inner or inner than outer or ???

2.) use the entire patch panels or cut as needed? .

3.)The inner panel only has the hole cutout for the driver side sun Visor, no idea why only the driver side.

4.) Any good hints for doing this would be greatly appreciated.

Note: You will see in the first pics that i decided to make a new Cab support roller. The original one is really just to tall.

Thanks for any help!!
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2020, 03:29 PM   #336
88Stanger

here is the missing passenger side sun visor
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2020, 03:57 PM   #337
SCOTI

I cant provide any suggestion on order other than tackling whatever is easier to start with to get a feel for your process.

As far as the visor holes, pass side visors weren't standard back then so it's possible the patch panels reflect that.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 11-08-2020, 04:02 PM   #338
88Stanger

Quote:
I cant provide any suggestion on order other than tackling whatever is easier to start with to get a feel for your process.

As far as the visor holes, pass side visors weren't standard back then so it's possible the patch panels reflect that.
Ok, I was kinda thinking that was the case for the sun visor. Not hard to make a spot for one.
As far as what to do first... LOL i was thinking the same, just start somewhere and go. BUT would you replace the entire panel(s) or just the areas with the rust?
Old 11-08-2020, 04:06 PM   #339
SCOTI

Quote:
Ok, I was kinda thinking that was the case for the sun visor. Not hard to make a spot for one.
As far as what to do first... LOL i was thinking the same, just start somewhere and go. BUT would you replace the entire panel(s) or just the areas with the rust?
Personally, I would 'cut' a section vs. the entire panel. Once cut, inspect the removed piece & see if it's worth doing the entire panel approach.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-08-2020, 05:46 PM   #340
cwcarpenter98

I know on the 60-63 cabs, the provision on the back side of the inner panel was there for a passenger side sun visor. I purchased a section from a donor cab from that area and noticed a reinforcement plate on the back side where the sun visor screws in.
There might be a provision on your truck that was not transferred to the patch panel final productions.

I am interested to see which way you tackle it as I will eventually have the same issue to tackle once I get to it. Gotta love a mouse nest in the roof

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 08:27 PM   #341
SkinnyG

I would replace one side, referencing the existing other side for placement, then repeat referencing the new panel. Having said that, I've never replaced those panels. I'd probably pick which one to do first based on what would be easiest to access/weld.

There will be less "this don't fit" misery if you patch with only what you need to patch.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 08:57 PM   #342
joesscamaro

I had to patch the same areas on my truck and I would recommend only removing/replacing the areas that have to be replaced. I would think you could create a lot of headache if you were to cut the entire area out at once. Splice in your repairs and call it good.
joesscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 04:28 PM   #343
88Stanger

Quote:
Personally, I would 'cut' a section vs. the entire panel. Once cut, inspect the removed piece & see if it's worth doing the entire panel approach.
Thanks Scoti
Old 11-10-2020, 04:29 PM   #344
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
I would replace one side, referencing the existing other side for placement, then repeat referencing the new panel. Having said that, I've never replaced those panels. I'd probably pick which one to do first based on what would be easiest to access/weld.

There will be less "this don't fit" misery if you patch with only what you need to patch.
Thanks for the thoughts SkinnyG. I will try to document as much as possible and post them, maybe it will help you out.
Old 11-10-2020, 04:31 PM   #345
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesscamaro View Post
I had to patch the same areas on my truck and I would recommend only removing/replacing the areas that have to be replaced. I would think you could create a lot of headache if you were to cut the entire area out at once. Splice in your repairs and call it good.
Thanks for your knowledge.

After much thought... lol and well all your idea and suggestions, i will only cut out what is needed. Actually makes me feel better anyways.

So thanks to all of you for the help and responses.
Old 11-14-2020, 12:29 PM   #346
88Stanger

Well, I just stumbled upon the Altman Easy Latch! DAMN i like what i see and hear about them. Not happy that i heard AFTER i bought all new door latch hardware, BUT for easy door shut, oh ya i am all over them.
Old 11-14-2020, 07:26 PM   #347
SCOTI

Quote:
Well, I just stumbled upon the Altman Easy Latch! DAMN i like what i see and hear about them. Not happy that i heard AFTER i bought all new door latch hardware, BUT for easy door shut, oh ya i am all over them.
Definitely an upgrade. Return or sell what you purchased??
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-16-2020, 12:29 PM   #348
88Stanger

Quote:
Definitely an upgrade. Return or sell what you purchased??
Yep, i cannot sell, been to long so i will sell at a discount.
Old 11-16-2020, 02:23 PM   #349
SCOTI

Quote:
Yep, i cannot sell, been to long so i will sell at a discount.
I look @ it as 'an investment of my learning curve'. Sometimes it's steeper than desired but more often than not I learn what I need to know & sell a new part @ a small loss having learned a different approach will work better for me in the big picture.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-16-2020, 06:36 PM   #350
88Stanger

Quote:
I look @ it as 'an investment of my learning curve'. Sometimes it's steeper than desired but more often than not I learn what I need to know & sell a new part @ a small loss having learned a different approach will work better for me in the big picture.
Exactly. LOL .... I have been working on the upper windshield outer panel and damn... i got it in, looks good except for 1 small area that decided to be a pain in the cab to weld! Kept blowing through. I got mad and kept trying to add more filler and, well, finally i stopped, laughed and said just cut that little part out and use the extra filler panel i still have that i did not use. LOL But damn was i mad. lol
All in all so far, the outside repair panel is not to bad. Now moving to the inner panel to roof, not excited about this one.....