The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2024, 06:46 PM   #76
KyleSeal

Re: Proportioning Valve Keeps Tripping?

UPDATE 4/18

Since my last update, I have bench bled the master (again), replaced the rear brake hard lines and the single soft line, and cleared the tee of debris.
The rear lines had some junk, nothing significant, and the tee had some as well. The rear hose flowed fluid about as much as I would say the new one does. Was this a problem? Maybe, but either case, the hose was 5 years or more old, and the lines were beginning to strip on the line nuts. So not regretting I did those in any capacity.

These made no impact on the outcome.

I still have zero pedal.

I checked the clearance for the push rod from the booster to the MC, and it moves immediately when pedal input is applied, and moves smoothly.

For S&G I adjusted the pushrod WAY out to preload the brakes, see if I could even stop the trucks rear end while in the air, it took 5+ pedal pumps to stop it, but once stopped it did not allow the wheels to free spin in gear again, as if they were locked on. I did not apply throttle to see if it would do anything.

This is honestly the most response Ive gotten from these brakes, and I still have no idea of the operation of the front brakes as I havent had enough confidence to even allow the truck to move under power.

So, next I will install block off fittings on the master to see if I can have any pedal when flow is 100% sealed.

If this master is bad, I may have to move to some sort of Wilwood or something. I would prefer not to, as it will not fit the trucks looks whatsoever, but it may be my only option at this point.

My Build Thread (1967 C10, lowered, EFI, daily truck): http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=830809
KyleSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 07:47 PM   #77
geezer#99

Change your pedal ratio.
Check where your connection pushrod is on the brake pedal and Drill a hole 1 1/2 inches lower. Attack the pushrod there and test. Your pedal ratio should be close to 4 to 1 then.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 11:35 PM   #78
Sheepdip

Can you post pic's of your brake calipers as you have them installed? I'm just shooting in the dark here....on a thread a while back there was a situation as yours where the owner kept stating the bleeders were on top, and they where.. But they were not on top of the piston bore to remove all the air. He finally rotated or swapped the brackets which put the bleeder actually on top and problem solved.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 11:48 AM   #79
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSeal View Post
UPDATE 4/18

So, next I will install block off fittings on the master to see if I can have any pedal when flow is 100% sealed.
Yes, that should eliminate the master cylinder.

Also, I think the problem is something other than pedal ratio or master cyl bore size. As an example, when I installed 85 C10 spindles and disc brakes on my 69, I actually drove the truck for at least several weeks with its stock manual drum/drum master cylinder, and the brakes worked pretty well. Sometimes I wonder why I went ahead and installed the 71-72 master cylinder, booster, brackets, and pedal linkage! However, the system has worked great since then, minus some issues with the 50+ year old combo valve, and brain fade on my part when bleeding brakes recently.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!

Last edited by MikeB; 04-19-2024 at 12:03 PM.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 11:58 AM   #80
RichardJ

>>I checked the clearance for the push rod from the booster to the MC, and it moves immediately when pedal input is applied, and moves smoothly.<<

That doesn't tell you anything about the correct booster pin length.

>>For S&G I adjusted the pushrod WAY out to preload the brakes, see if I could even stop the trucks rear end while in the air, it took 5+ pedal pumps to stop it, but once stopped it did not allow the wheels to free spin in gear again, as if they were locked on. <<

Adjusting the pedal rod longer just makes a problem with incorrect booster rod worse.

MC pistons must be able to return to seated position so that ports are opened to allow fluid to return to reservoir when pedal is released.

Adjust pedal rod for freeplay.
Adjust booster rod with actual measurements. If you don't have the measuring tool you must be able to move the MC far enough to take measurements.
A - B = C, which is what the tool does.
After "C" is determined, reduce pin height ( C ) by 1/32 to 1/16".

I set the clearance at 1/32 on a new booster for my Vette. After a couple months, I noticed at stop lights with slight grade, the vehicle would no longer roll with brake off. (manual trans) The seats inside the booster had settled with age and spring pressure. The pin had extended past my original setting and was holding the MC slightly engaged. I won't set one that close again.
Attached Images

Last edited by RichardJ; 04-19-2024 at 12:18 PM.
RichardJ is offline   Reply With Quote