The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2009, 02:55 PM   #26
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: All these lowered trucks ??

Driving them lowered since 1986.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Last edited by lolife99; 05-06-2009 at 02:55 PM.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:39 PM   #27
Tetdoeuf
Invest in Gold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw4sale View Post
It doesn't matter what you do. According to the movies, we'll all be driving hover cars in a few years anyway.
Then we'll find a way to lower the hover car
Old 05-06-2009, 03:42 PM   #28
see ten
WTB this ad

Lowering a truck (especially a mild drop) isn't a modification of no return. It's nothing that couldn't be turned back to stock with an afternoon and a few parts.

As far as lowered trucks making someone barf...apparently you have a weak stomach sir and should seek some medical attention and counseling!

I'd much rather see em lifted or lowered then I would to see them painted up with the godawful pastels of the 80s. Sure, paint can be redone as well, but it's much more time consuming then swapping out suspension parts.

Lowering and lifting trucks/cars is just another modification that people do to personalize their vehicles. A personalized vehicle will grab my interest much quicker then one that still looks like it did when it left the showroom.

In the meantime...keep your supply of barfbags ready buddy!!
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:44 PM   #29
BossHogg69
motor exploder

Unhappy Re: All these lowered trucks ??

Well, I guess I'm glad I sold my '92 xcab with the 5/7 drop. whew!

Should I send back the drop springs, tubular control arms and c-notch that I just got from CPP for my '69?? I don't wanna be driving around in an ugly truck!

Dang it, where did I put the stock shackles I took off my '05 GMC? That 2" drop is hideous to me now...

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:16 PM   #30
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

Mild drop is cool always is always was. But scrapin' pavement don't do it for me. Kinda like 18's and bigger wheels don't either. Thought of this after seein' some rides,anything with more than 6 spokes is just to ''ricey''!!!
69 C-10, OWNED 35YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:31 PM   #31
redneckgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrein3 View Post
I am saying I don't like it.
IMO, I think lowered trucks look ridiculous. Again that is my opinion.
I will state that if you are going to lower a truck, a 67-72 Chevy, short wheel base, fleetside looks the best of all the lowered trucks out there.
I've seen the 73+ trucks 'in the weeds' and have to reach for the barf bag.
Then you see a 88+, extended cab and I can't reach fast enough so I have to hose the barf out from under my truck seat.
Then you see an S10 and I just laugh at the money spent to make such an ugly stance on an ugly vehicle.
But to each his own.
First, let me say I'm NOT singling you out, merely your post was the easiest to quote and point out a few things.
1. While we all have opinions some are better worded than others.
2. There are some damn nice trucks on this site of all years & models. Whether it be N2TRUX show quality, highly visible squarebody (lowered BTW), or MUDDER's kick ass 4X4 that most folks would need a step ladder to climb in... or a certain little S10 I was lucky enough to see in NC for the spring meet.
While there are a few trucks on here that I simply do not like, I would NEVER insult them by calling them ridiculous, barf-inducing wastes of money. That is disrespectful.
If anyone else feels the need to go to this degree to make thier point in this thread, move on & don't post.

My truck is lowered. It is the first one (besides an S10 we used to own) that has ever been lowered. I can appreciate the lowered ones, the spark-throwing slammed ones, the 'beaters', the original restorations & the 4X4's that should have a red blinking light on top to warn approaching aircraft. The are all pieces of automotive history. What the individual owner does with it is thier prerogative.
If you were driving down the road and saw the most hideous, eyesore that someone calls home, would you dare approach the door and tell them it made you barf? I don't think so.
These threads NEVER end well...I'm asking you guys to keep it civil, or it will go bye-bye.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:36 PM   #32
barthmonster

wow I didn't mean to start something, but it IS enjoyable to see the different opinions. I agree to each his own. I hope we all don't go DONK with our trucks in 15 years. I wonder how many of the guys going DONK had to raise their rigs about 12" because they were previously lowered into the weeds.

I agree some things will always be cool. But not too many people are putting 14" wheels on vehicles right now, so things DO change...

Anyway, have fun with the discussion, but be nice...
barthmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:43 PM   #33
6TNiner

I can appreciate both. This is a case of TASTES GREAT! LESS FILLING! Guys, do what you want so long as you keep our classics off the scrapper. No matter how you look at it, they are, after all, still the "heartbeat of america." IMHO
6TNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:51 PM   #34
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

What makes me cringe a bit is the radical modifications to get them flat on the ground. I mean, a 4/6 drop is a bolt on deal and can be undone at any time. But, cutting up a bed floor, monster bridging the frame and such as past the point of returning to original.

I have seen some beautiful original trucks around me locally that have got the cut bed floor, monster notch thing. Around here at least, they never get finished and usually wind up parked behind the barn to rot. I hate that. You know the type, holes in bed floor, no wheel wells, mismatched wheels / \ negative camber. Seems such a waste.

And, I do see it as a fad. Basically anything that is that radical tends to ebb and flow. I remember when our parents (and more senior members here I;m sure) used to jack up the back of their Torinos, Chargers and Novas. That fad has long passed and fortunately those classic cars weren't cut up too badly during the butt in the air phase.

Hillbillys like me have been dropping these short bed trucks for as long as I can remember. It's not quite as sensational as laying rocker, but it has been long lasting and popluar in this area.

Last edited by Tx Firefighter; 05-06-2009 at 04:54 PM.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:06 PM   #35
see ten
WTB this ad

Bed floors are now available new, so cutting one doesn't make one beyond the point of no return. The number of trucks that I've seen on this forum that probably should have been scrapped but instead were brought back, make me feel like there's nothing that can't be brought back to stock if the owner desires to.

I know what you mean about the ones that get hacked up and never finished...That is definitly a waste! However when one of these things get sold odds are the buyer is going to go ahead and finish it or rebuild it the way that they prefer it.

In the meantime I'm going to keep driving my dropped truck...

And my lifted truck...

And our extremely lowered completely ruined cut frame barf mobile!

Old 05-06-2009, 05:08 PM   #36
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

and then Asa comes along posting pics of his rides and I drool all over the keyboard.

thanks a lot!

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by tcb-1; 05-06-2009 at 05:09 PM.
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:22 PM   #37
LayFrame72

If you really think about it..Raising or lowering..Both are pointless..When you lower, You tuck those nice 20" rims in your fender wells..You paid 2K to put em on your truck..But now you only show half your rims?..You pay thousands or more to get it on the ground..Your suspension components end up costing more than the truck itself..And for what?..To go throw sparks?..LOL..I hate how the whole thing works but its a sacrifice to get "The look" you want.

Raised is about the same..Jack it up..Big tires..big motor..To..???..Run through a mud pit?..Ive never owned a lifted truck..Nor do I want to..But I do enjoy the look..Just not SOME of the drivers..Yea, Your truck is taller than my truck..But save the "I can run your truck over like a speed-bump" to yourself..Its not really about that..Im sure some of you know all the phrases people have come up with..LOL..Im a firm believer that most are true

But its the classic group that really gets me..I understand the point of keeping a car/truck all orginal..But sometimes its not all about the money..So what if a fender is a repop..Your constructing your vehicle to look like it use to back in 19(Add year here)..Not to be rude, But I just find myself more interested in in a bagged patina rat rod than most OEM 100% original cars/trucks at shows and on the internet..Just because the simple fact of no individual personality to the vehicle..Sure, its stock..Nice investment..But whats unique?..Its not on a bill of sale or piece of paper..Just my opinion
LayFrame72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:24 PM   #38
70cst

This is an interesting thread. Although some of the responses make me want to ,while others make me , and some I just . Just think how dull our trucks would be if they were all the same. The variations in our trucks in looks and in their stance is what makes our trucks pleasing to the eye. Then again we have and trucks which make them naturally pleasing to the eye.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:27 PM   #39
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

see ten,... that '54 is beautiful!

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:32 PM   #40
jott_06
Camaro Club

just thought i'd help out the barf fest with some pics of my trucks. lol

This is my 68 GMC. It has a 3/5 drop. I've gotten bored with it though since i got my sonoma so I'm going to put 4 wheel drive drive train under it and lift it.

Then this is the sonoma

Isn't that the most disgusting thing you ever saw...

bagged and laying frame...
jott_06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:34 PM   #41
Shane
Account Suspended

i think it's funny the guys that talk so rudely about other folk's truck wont' post pics of theirs.

Last edited by Shane; 05-06-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:36 PM   #42
Irishpilot

I'm one of those "service" guys who mods vehicles. My last desert tour paid for all of the mods in my signature. I was bitten by the hotrod bug when I was a kid, so I mod all my vehicles. This includes my Corvette that I race at the 1/4 regularly. Speaking of Corvettes, what's the point in owning one if you are going to drive it like a grandma? I race it, I break it, I fix it better than stock!

That same mantra goes for what I'm doing to my truck. I'm going the "resto-rod" look where I'm adding comforts as needed while maintaining the old-school look. I'm keeping the chrome, the bumpers, the green paint, but I like 'em low and on nice rims.

I agree with the above sentiment that each of us has a vision of what the truck will look like fully restored, but the point is they are getting restored and not rusting in a field somewhere!
406ci sb; zero decked, bored .030, edelbrock aluminum e-tec heads, edelbrock performer RPM intake, comp 268 cam, comp 1.6 pro-magnum roller rockers, MSD street fire HEI, MSD 8.5mm wires, Holley Street demon 770, Hedman LT headers. 10.6:1 compression, Air Ride Tech bags on all 4-corners.
Irishpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:44 PM   #43
see ten
WTB this ad

My stock height Nissan is lower to the ground then my 3.5/6 dropped truck!

But it's considerably faster and gets better gas mileage...so I guess I can deal with the low ground clearance issue.

And I don't take the K10 in the mud...I try to not even get it out in the rain if I can avoid it.

I just wanted the "look"...and I think I got it!
Old 05-06-2009, 05:48 PM   #44
big mike71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
i think it's funny the guys that talk so rudely about other folk's truck wont' post pics of theirs.
I don't think you should say anything on the board about somebody's truck that you wouldn't to their face.
big mike71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:03 PM   #45
redneckgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by see ten View Post
My stock height Nissan is lower to the ground then my 3.5/6 dropped truck!
Hubby has a 81 Corvette...sitting beside my truck in the garage...if you look, my 3/5 dropped truck...the steering wheel still sits higher than the roof of the Vette...
Old 05-06-2009, 06:06 PM   #46
garryk

I can say there isn't a truck on this site I don't like. There are some I like more than others, but any thing sporting a BOWTIE or GMC is outstanding in my book.

When I was a teen down in SE Texas, a friend had an older brother who setup a shop strictly to modify Chevy and GMC trucks. He was lowering and lifting and all kinds of crazy stuff, that was in the '70's. The only thing that was a little hard for me to watch was chopping tops. It's not that I don't think they look good when done properly, I just don't fully understand it.

Anyway...my $.02 and worth just about that.

1968 LWB C20
1969 Blazer
1972 Suburban
1989 Suburban (Beast)
garryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:31 PM   #47
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Gosh,I didn't realize there was a thread rehashing all of this stuff again.I mean it's been gone over before.Like since the model T lakesters,32 Ford and every other body style imaginable.
There will always be the purists who think restored to stock is "IT", the out there just because you can "YOU DO" and then like most those who fall somewhere in the middle.It's one of the things I like about the trucks.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 05-06-2009 at 06:31 PM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:52 PM   #48
crawdadfox

Location: New Orleans Louisiana.....a great place to visit but you wouldn't want to live here!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrein3 View Post
I am saying I don't like it.
IMO, I think lowered trucks look ridiculous. Again that is my opinion.
I will state that if you are going to lower a truck, a 67-72 Chevy, short wheel base, fleetside looks the best of all the lowered trucks out there.
I've seen the 73+ trucks 'in the weeds' and have to reach for the barf bag.
Then you see a 88+, extended cab and I can't reach fast enough so I have to hose the barf out from under my truck seat.
Then you see an S10 and I just laugh at the money spent to make such an ugly stance on an ugly vehicle.

But to each his own.
I couldn't agree with you more....especially about the 73+ trucks!! You know everyone has an opinion on what looks good and what doesn't....sometimes its just better to keep that opinion to yourself!
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2009, 06:55 PM   #49
bigblazerboy

in my opinion if its 2wd theres nothing really to do but keep it stock or mild static drop. slammed looks sweet to when they sparking on the ground. 4x4 either stock or lifted. im more of a lifted guy but i like them equally and dont diss either style as long as its a chevy and not some riced out truck with a spoiler and some wheels that stock out way to much. now i dont really like the euro tail lights either but thats just me
Old 05-06-2009, 07:56 PM   #50
Rob H.

I suppose living in the country and working on the farm or construction most of my life, I kind of go more for stock or raised trucks. Yes I've drooled over alot of lowered trucks, but usually the thought crosses my mind that they'd really look better converted to 4x4! But as said before to each his own, your truck might not meet my needs or desires, same as mine won't yours. Still better than going to the crusher!
1952 Super "A" Farmall (Grandfather's)
Rob H. is offline   Reply With Quote