The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2020, 10:23 AM   #1
old51sedan

Alternator

I'm installing VA in my truck, and VA told me I need to update my Alt. It has a 30 or 37 amp on it now, was told I should go to at least a 60 Amp. Andy 4639 was just talking on another post about a Alt from an 85 Buick which would also eliminate my Voltage reg. I curious how many amps that would be and if that would bolt right up (mine has a double pull) line up with my other pulleys. Sounds like I could end up with a better system all the way around. My truck is running and charging fine at the moment, but have not run the air yet.
old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:12 AM   #2
dmjlambert

Re: Alternator

Here is the article the idea for the 1985 Buick probably came from, because this article has been referenced here on the forum numerous times. http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...elcoremy.shtml
That is a 94 amp alternator. I believe the pulley shafts are all the same. You can tell for sure by taking your old alternator into the store and comparing when you buy the new alternator. I bought the store brand lifetime warranty alternator from O'Reilly Auto Parts, and the alternator was rebuilt and had the case markings Delco Remy USA.

What is VA?
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:28 AM   #3
gmc684x4

I think he means vintage air

When i did the upgrade to an si altenator i used one from a square body truck
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:42 AM   #4
dmjlambert

I am imagining a veterans administration inspector walking around the truck with a brown clipboard and black SkilCraft ball point pen, trying to check off the 60 amp alternator checkbox before giving approval.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:22 PM   #5
old51sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
I am imagining a veterans administration inspector walking around the truck with a brown clipboard and black SkilCraft ball point pen, trying to check off the 60 amp alternator checkbox before giving approval.
Cute, I like that. Yes, it's vintage air, sorry just trying to keep it short. I will read the article, thanks.
Old 08-16-2020, 01:34 PM   #6
old51sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
Here is the article the idea for the 1985 Buick probably came from, because this article has been referenced here on the forum numerous times. http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...elcoremy.shtml
That is a 94 amp alternator. I believe the pulley shafts are all the same. You can tell for sure by taking your old alternator into the store and comparing when you buy the new alternator. I bought the store brand lifetime warranty alternator from O'Reilly Auto Parts, and the alternator was rebuilt and had the case markings Delco Remy USA.

What is VA?
VA is Vintage Air, sorry about that.
On another note, thanks for the article. I read the article, I learnt a few things which is always good. It just so happens that I have taken the generator (6volt) off my old ford tractor and taken it to a man who all he does is starters, generators, & alternators. I also have a Alternator, I believe it's a 12SI, which I took off from an old Cadillac a few years ago that I parted out. It was only a few weeks old, so I kept it. It has the newer fan on it with a serpentine belt pulley on it. Also a Napa rebuilt sticker on it that says 108 amp. Question, if I were to take it to this guy, have him check it out, change to my double v pulleys could I use this on my truck or would this be to much overkill. It looks like it should bolt right on the truck. Just a thought, it's just sitting here going to waste.
Old 08-16-2020, 04:43 PM   #7
gmc684x4

I would use it
I am moving up to the cs130 and cs144 altenators
Partly do to the fact i have saved them like your caddy alt near new saved parts
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:09 PM   #8
old51sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc684x4 View Post
I would use it
I am moving up to the cs130 and cs144 altenators
Partly do to the fact i have saved them like your caddy alt near new saved parts
My generator for my tractor will be done next weaker so, then I will take the caddy alt. and the truck one in and have him check them out. If this is 108 amp is that to much of an over kill. I will have that checked also. When I get that done, maybe we can talk about wiring it after I get the voltage regulator off and wires peeled back. Thanks, Donn

PS. My truck has the 292 with the Petronix hei, this should not make any difference right?

Last edited by old51sedan; 08-16-2020 at 05:14 PM. Reason: add information
Old 08-16-2020, 05:53 PM   #9
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

It's only going to put out enough to keep the equipment running and the battery charged. Maybe more than you need, but it won't hurt anything. If I were doing this I'd run something like a #8 wire from the alternator to the battery positive. 108 Amps is a lot, and the stock wire might get pretty hot.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote