The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2008, 05:33 AM   #1
odog

Ever feel like not working on it??

I have been working on my 72 for awhile now. The 67 project hit some major problems around beginning of February. I had been building both 72 and 67 since October and now all resources are going into getting the 72 done. I don't need to drag both projects into the next decade and still not have one done. Anyway I have been getting off work at about 6 every night and working on the truck for an hour or so the go home to my wife and kids. Been getting little stuff done, motor and tranny in, steering set up, stuff like that. This weekend I had planned to start sanding the fenders bed and hood, I am waiting for inner rockers so I can finish the cab. I woke up and just didin't feel like doing it. I went outside anyway and started to load the bed onto the trailer to take it to the shop, wind was blowing like 25 and it was cold, so I put my stuff in the garage, went back inside and played with my kids. I just don't feel like working on the thing todya and maybe not tommorrow. Has this happened to anybody else, I am losing it?

Sorry for the long winded ramble, I just needed to get this off my chest, maybe I will feel better about the truck tommorrow.

Thanks
Old 03-03-2008, 05:41 AM   #2
Ace in the hole

Re: Ever feel like not working on it??

been there, although for me, I have periods of not working on it due to lack of funds
Ace in the hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:48 AM   #3
odog

Yeah thats a whole nother problem, but at least I got most of my parts when I had cash from my christmas bonus. Now the little things I didn't think of are coming into play so I have to get them when I can.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:17 AM   #4
corn

Happens to me all the time. I walk away & sometimes dont touch it again for weeks. It works out fine for me but some people want instant gratifacation on projects so everyone is different. Just remember, each little part that is done is that much closer to the finished product. Baby steps.
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:57 AM   #5
wibilly

i haven't worked on mine since i made it road worthy. got my short block done dragging my feet on the heads cause i don't wanna tear it apart again
Old 03-03-2008, 07:04 AM   #6
tk-mpl

Mine's been apart for just about three years now. Have gotten alot of motivation from being on this site though. Ordering my air ride stuff this month...
tk-mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:17 AM   #7
braggwood

Happens to me too. My 72 will be in the garage for a month and then behind the garage for a month or so. As for now, in the garage, last week notched the frame, floor shifter today and have air bags ready to go on. I need to work hard before it goes behind the garage again.
braggwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:23 AM   #8
skokie

I have had that same feeling especially if I go out to do something which should only take 20-30 mins and then ends up taking 4 hours. But after 3-4 days I catch it staring at me with its droopy headlights and I go back out and start again

68 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=223234
skokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:32 AM   #9
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Everybody goes through that at times. When the spring truly arrives and the days are longer and warmer I always seem to accomplish more than any other time of year besides maybe the beginning of fall. I always accomplish the least in the winter. I hate turned wrenches in the cold!
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:37 AM   #10
GruntyPants

For me it's the cold crappy weather. That coupled with the fact that it gets dark an hour after I get home. It just sucks the motivation out of you. Things will get better in spring.

Besides its better all around when you spend time with the kids.

Shawn
'70 Short Wide
GruntyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:48 AM   #11
odog

Thanks guys. i am glad to know that I am not the only one who goes through this. I think I will do some work to it tommorrow. I will take my oldest daughter (6) to the shop with me. She likes to go and help best she can. My youngest (2) likes to go, but she hides my tools. Well maybe I will have some progress to report tommorrow.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Erik
Old 03-03-2008, 08:05 AM   #12
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

I think your day was better spent with the kids. a much more worthy investment.

what I do is spend Saturday with the boys and Sunday at the shop. tomorrow I will be installing my Xmas present from LockDoc.
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:12 AM   #13
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Burnout happens to any long term project.There are many who work until they are totally burned out then sell for less than they have in it.Everyone has their own way of dealing with it.I guess yours is one of the most constructive i have heard of.You spent time with your family and that should be more important then anything else.After some time away like that you will get the urge to get going on it again and be energized to accomplish some of your goals.
The bad news,the cycle will probably repeat itself(maybe several times) before you get where you want it to be.It's not bad if you use the time to take care of the inner self and family.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:20 AM   #14
67CHIP72
STOLEN

If it's paid for, then it aint going nowhere. Enjoy your family and hit it when you can. Like today, when my 2 year old son stuck his hand up the tailpipe of the Super and it came out all black, sometimes you have to just forget about the trucks and enjoy the better things in life.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:29 AM   #15
Weezer67

I agree wholeheartedly with 67chip72. Sometimes the best things in life are those things that just "happen." I used to have my daughter work on my truck with me and one day she saw me hammering out a dent on my door...you guessed it she took off around to the other side and started smashing in the door. She had such an innocent look and she was just wanting to help. I cried inside but laughed and hugged her. That memory is special to me 22 years later. I can't even remember the truck.
Weezer67
Dodge City, Kansas
Spring is coming....
Weezer67 is offline   Reply With Quote