The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2014, 04:50 PM   #1
paulbrgr9999

1970 c20 starter problem?

Had a scary moment out in the desert this past weekend. I parked my truck on a mostly level surface while pulling my toyhauler and turned off the motor (350). Got back in the truck after about 2 minutes and turned the ignition key to start. The truck made a noise that sounded exactly like the sound you would hear if the motor was already running. A loud screeching. I tried the ignition twice more with the same result. Loud screeching. But the engine was not already running. So I got out of truck crawled underneath and looked at where the starter engages with the flywheel. Everything looked fine (I dont have the dust cover on). So I got back in the truck and moved the shifter (turbohydramatic) from park to 1st gear and back and just kind of rocked the entire truck back and forth. And then when I turned the key to start it fired right up like normal. This truck has never done this before and its now starting everytime with no problem (probably 20 more starts since this episode).

is my starter about to go bad or?

I dont want to get stuck in the middle of no where.

Ant opinions or ideas are welcomed

paul
paulbrgr9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:01 PM   #2
ujsf01

Re: 1970 c20 starter problem?

Suggestion #1: since you don't have the dust cover on, this should be easy. Use a flywheel wrench ( or a screwdriver if you don't have one, just takes a little longer) and make sure you have no damaged flywheel teeth. If that's ok, my guess would be the bendix on the starter is signaling it's about to give up the ghost. Used to be able to replace just the bendix, but it's probably just as cheap to get a new starter nowadays.

No, I do not know it all, that's why I attend tons of training.
ujsf01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:45 PM   #3
paulbrgr9999

Thanks for the suggestion. Ill try that.

But one last question. What is the bendix? Do you mean the solenoid?

paul
Old 05-26-2014, 08:18 PM   #4
paulbrgr9999

I inspected the flywheel and found 5 teeth that were ground down on the sides. Since the damage is very shinny I suspect it is new damage probably occuring during the event I described.

So any ideas as to what caused this? Bad starter?

I hope I dont need to replace the flywheel. I can do a starter. But I suspect to fix the flywheel I would have to remove the transmission.

what should I do?

paul
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2014, 09:06 PM   #5
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

That flywheel still has a few more trips around the sun left under it's belt. Yes, those teeth are chewed on somewhat, but not bad enough to go to the hassle of replacing it.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:22 PM   #6
paulbrgr9999

Im relieved to hear the flywheel is ok. But what probably caused the damage? I dont want to ignore this untill it strands me somewhere while im pulling a trailer.

paul
Old 05-26-2014, 10:21 PM   #7
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

I would measure the starter gear clearance in the flywheel teeth and shim it or remove shims if necessary. Sometimes flywheels are slightly out of round and can be too tight on one side and too loose on the other. The starter gear teeth should engage the flywheel teeth such that a 1/8 th drill bit will go into the gap between the starter gear teeth and the flywheel V. If it's too tight the bendix gear will hit the edge of the flywheel and the gear will spin against the flywheel and not engage. This will give the screeching noise you heard.

Rotate the damaged part of the flywheel so that the center of the shiny area is near the starter teeth, then pry the starter gear outward to engage the flywheel teeth and measure the gap. You can get shims at any auto parts shop.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:24 AM   #8
ujsf01

BTW, the bendix is the one way clutch mechanism that slides back in the starter to engauge the starter with the teeth on the flywheel. It has a one way clutch so that when the engine starts, the small gear on the starter motor has the capability to overrun and not tear up the starter motor. Like I said, used to be able to take the starter apart and replace just the bendix if it was bad, but now, easier and just about as cheap to get a replacement starter.

No, I do not know it all, that's why I attend tons of training.
ujsf01 is offline   Reply With Quote