The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2021, 12:08 PM   #1
Grumpy old man

Here’s a Look Into the Art of truck Stalking

When truck stalking, there are a few things one should know .

First off, Truck stalking is not as bad as it sounds, as no one really stalks a car with evil intentions. Although some, like my wife, might disagree, as I often take the "scenic route" home from the grocery store just to see if that weathered red-with-a-slight-dose-of-primer C10 pickup is still parked in front of the house a couple blocks out of the way. To her, the evil—or annoying—part is that I drive a half-mile out of the way instead of going straight home. And to be honest, I'm not really sure why I keep checking on this truck. Maybe I'm hoping it will have a "For Sale" sign in the rear window and I'll be the one to nab it before anyone else finds out about it. Maybe the owner will let me drive off with the truck for a song knowing I'll take excellent care of it once in my hands. Maybe not, as there is no reason he'd take a liking to me, and once he has cash in hand he would probably care less if the truck burns down before it makes it three blocks from his house.

So, yeah, I stalk that truck once or twice a week and continue to do so ... you know, just in case.

So as far as car/truck stalking goes, that C10 is easy prey due to it being parked out front. But when going on a car-stalking mission it's important to pay attention to long driveways where a glimpse of a vintage taillight, headlight, or piece of trim can be spotted peeking from behind a daily driver. It takes a keen eye to catch those, so you gotta be sharp. It's also important to keep an eye out for car covers—a dead giveaway for a possible hidden gem. Usually those are deep into a driveway or tucked away in the garage only to be seen when the garage door is open. Covered cars have a good chance of being an unfinished project or one possibly left behind by a relative and hasn't ran in quite a few years due a clogged fuel line or dead battery. Rare finds, indeed, but they are out there.

Timing is everything when it comes to picking up an abdicated classic. For example, when the owner of a hidden ride is in front of the house doing yardwork or other maintenance, that's a good time to walk by and start up a friendly conversation about something other than the potential treasure down the driveway (it's best not to sound too anxious), then ease into inquiring about the covered car you "just happened" to notice

Always refrain from knocking on someone's door to ask about the car you scoped from the street. This could risk putting the owner in a defensive mode as he finds your visual trespassing unwelcome. The last thing you want is for the owner to move the car completely out of sight. At that point you'll have no chance of getting anything from that hoarder.

Then there is the rare instance of unintentional mobile stalking. An example of this is the "unicorn" I've seen driving around town for the past five or so years that always seems to be going in the opposite direction than me. It's a Frost Green w/dark-green vinyl roof 1969 Camaro with original California black plates, stock hubcaps, what appears to be original paint, and looks totally unmolested. I have no idea if it's a six-cylinder or a V-8 car because I haven't heard it run. Driven by a white-haired woman who appears to be in her 70s, I imagine her as being the original owner; the car always garage-kept; it has never been in an accident; and she has neatly kept maintenance records of every oil change, tune-up, and tire rotation over its 50-plus years of existence.Just once I want to catch the Camaro sitting still so I can see if it's in as good of shape as it has appeared in my limited sightings. Until then I still plan to take a detour on the way home from wherever I am to keep an eye on that C10 pickup. And you never know, I may just come across that elusive Frost Green '69 Camaro right when the owner is finally ready to rid herself from the burden of driving a 50-plus-year-old "clunker." Yes, I know it's highly unlikely, but one can still hope.

So, my car-stalking habit has yet to get me a good deal (or any deal) on a classic ride, but if there is any truth to "the hunt being more thrilling than the catch," then this hunting with no harvest is quite exciting. Yeah, I'll keep telling myself that.

If you have a Truck stalking story to share, successful or not, I'd like to hear about it.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/...-car-stalking/

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 09-05-2021 at 12:15 PM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 12:20 PM   #2
jamesi20

Re: Here’s a Look Into the Art of truck Stalking

Most excellent advice
jamesi20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 12:34 PM   #3
Getter-Done

There is a Green 67 down the road from me.
Every once in awhile the door is open where I can see it

Name:  tt_LI.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  29.3 KB

,,,....////
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 12:57 PM   #4
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

There's a yellow 1978ish square body step-side parked in my old neighborhood not far from me. I visit it often. It's a driver that's used lightly, I've stalked that truck 10-15 years now. Sits on the street of their cul-de-sac, and still in excellent shape & appears unmolested. For the right price I'm in, see what happens, which is likely nothing.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 01:07 PM   #5
HO455
Post Whore

Another tip! Make friends with a roofer or two. Their work takes them all over and they have great view into lots of back yards. A beer or two now and then can really pay off.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 01:08 PM   #6
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Well, not really sure this fits....

This morning at Coffee & Cars a nice fellow was admiring my truck and was telling me about his C10 being in a local shop (that I didn't even know was around) for a restoration. Conversation lead to him telling me how he spotted and bought a Chevy Apache nearby that he saw from the road from a rather older lady, whose husband seemed to have been a semi-hoarder that sadly now has dementia.

He blipped information how there are 3~4 Ford Model A's that he wasn't interested in, which popped up my antenna because these cars are my brother's bread & butter. So I push him for information: One that looks like its been under a car patio cover for years and then perhaps 2~3 in a back barn.

So my newly made friend is going to introduce us (seeing he already has "broken the ice" with her on the Apache)! Very exciting to say the least, as he is pretty sure she would be a seller.

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 01:29 PM   #7
dagnabbitt

One of my best friends, now, is someone whose autos I stalked for several years. He had a 67 C10, a 86 C10, and a 48 Business Man's Coupe, all lined up in front of his house and when I got off work each night I would drive really slowly past his house to look at the cars. Creepy I know.

It never even occurred to me to knock and introduce myself. One day met at a mutual friend's (a mechanic) and been buds ever since.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10

Last edited by dagnabbitt; 09-05-2021 at 09:18 PM.
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 01:56 PM   #8
CC69Rat

I drive for Jasper, and I am at various shops all over the Southeast delivering engines and transmissions. I see a lot more trucks than I ever thought were still out there. I see a lot of farm land and old back country roads. I am eyeballing an 87 SWB 'Dale Truck' and 72 Super SWB right now. I am a truck stalker too fo sho.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 03:03 PM   #9
slikside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
When truck stalking, there are a few things one should know .

First off, Truck stalking is not as bad as it sounds, as no one really stalks a car with evil intentions. Although some, like my wife, might disagree, as I often take the "scenic route" home from the grocery store just to see if that weathered red-with-a-slight-dose-of-primer C10 pickup is still parked in front of the house a couple blocks out of the way. To her, the evil—or annoying—part is that I drive a half-mile out of the way instead of going straight home. And to be honest, I'm not really sure why I keep checking on this truck. Maybe I'm hoping it will have a "For Sale" sign in the rear window and I'll be the one to nab it before anyone else finds out about it. Maybe the owner will let me drive off with the truck for a song knowing I'll take excellent care of it once in my hands. Maybe not, as there is no reason he'd take a liking to me, and once he has cash in hand he would probably care less if the truck burns down before it makes it three blocks from his house.

So, yeah, I stalk that truck once or twice a week and continue to do so ... you know, just in case.

So as far as car/truck stalking goes, that C10 is easy prey due to it being parked out front. But when going on a car-stalking mission it's important to pay attention to long driveways where a glimpse of a vintage taillight, headlight, or piece of trim can be spotted peeking from behind a daily driver. It takes a keen eye to catch those, so you gotta be sharp. It's also important to keep an eye out for car covers—a dead giveaway for a possible hidden gem. Usually those are deep into a driveway or tucked away in the garage only to be seen when the garage door is open. Covered cars have a good chance of being an unfinished project or one possibly left behind by a relative and hasn't ran in quite a few years due a clogged fuel line or dead battery. Rare finds, indeed, but they are out there.

Timing is everything when it comes to picking up an abdicated classic. For example, when the owner of a hidden ride is in front of the house doing yardwork or other maintenance, that's a good time to walk by and start up a friendly conversation about something other than the potential treasure down the driveway (it's best not to sound too anxious), then ease into inquiring about the covered car you "just happened" to notice

Always refrain from knocking on someone's door to ask about the car you scoped from the street. This could risk putting the owner in a defensive mode as he finds your visual trespassing unwelcome. The last thing you want is for the owner to move the car completely out of sight. At that point you'll have no chance of getting anything from that hoarder.

Then there is the rare instance of unintentional mobile stalking. An example of this is the "unicorn" I've seen driving around town for the past five or so years that always seems to be going in the opposite direction than me. It's a Frost Green w/dark-green vinyl roof 1969 Camaro with original California black plates, stock hubcaps, what appears to be original paint, and looks totally unmolested. I have no idea if it's a six-cylinder or a V-8 car because I haven't heard it run. Driven by a white-haired woman who appears to be in her 70s, I imagine her as being the original owner; the car always garage-kept; it has never been in an accident; and she has neatly kept maintenance records of every oil change, tune-up, and tire rotation over its 50-plus years of existence.Just once I want to catch the Camaro sitting still so I can see if it's in as good of shape as it has appeared in my limited sightings. Until then I still plan to take a detour on the way home from wherever I am to keep an eye on that C10 pickup. And you never know, I may just come across that elusive Frost Green '69 Camaro right when the owner is finally ready to rid herself from the burden of driving a 50-plus-year-old "clunker." Yes, I know it's highly unlikely, but one can still hope.

So, my car-stalking habit has yet to get me a good deal (or any deal) on a classic ride, but if there is any truth to "the hunt being more thrilling than the catch," then this hunting with no harvest is quite exciting. Yeah, I'll keep telling myself that.

If you have a Truck stalking story to share, successful or not, I'd like to hear about it.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/...-car-stalking/
Indeed. I've had this happen to me a couple times, and it's very annoying. I usually respond with, "Do you see a For Sale sign on it??"

Now it has a "NOT 4 Sale" sign on it. Hasn't failed yet...
Old 09-05-2021, 03:24 PM   #10
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Nope… no stalker here… I can tell you off the top of my head where 15-20 67-72’s are. I also know where a couple old novas, 69 Camaros, a Chevelle or two, and a 55 and 57 2 door hard top bell air is. I perv around in my travels, I just tell my wife it could be worse, I could be looking at other women. I do a lot of driving, 100,000 in the last 3 years on my company truck alone. Lots of time to be looking out for old iron.

I have had several people come down my driveway in the past asking about my ‘57, ‘69, and ‘72. The thing that annoys me is that they drive right past the no trespassing sign at the highway to ask me about my trucks. I feel like there’s got to be some respect in that regard, and I abide by that when I’m on e hunt for the next one to buy.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0

Last edited by 57taskforce; 09-05-2021 at 03:55 PM.
57taskforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 06:19 PM   #11
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Yeah I could recite those on my path of things, I still remember when there was a 67-72 on every block in the 90s, now few and far between. 71 custom LWB finally sold 25K? He had it parked on the street for many years. 70 GMC in the driveway in old neighborhood, 5-6 houses away from the 78ish step-side I stalk Nobody is ever outside where that step side sits, so many years. The GMC likes my rough C20. Yellow 71 custom LWB parked at Shell of a long while on main street, for sale 20ish. 70 SWB 4x4 in the next neighborhood over, I think it's a GMC, it hasn't made an appearance in a while. And almost forgot Grumpy, five houses from me is a 67 SWB 4x4. It looks to be in good shape, he uses the bed for storage outside, I don't think it's running. He spends his time on 1970? Camaro instead, and there's a 70s Ford struck parked next to it losing some of its appeal

I used to see a 71 SWB Cheyenne with a wood floor, but knowing little about the guy it's probably no longer running or he isn't. Other than a LWB Chevy I saw an old gentlemen cowboy driving months ago, I never see one locally that's especially nice. His truck is an intact, probably original owner 70 LWB, light olive/white & tow package - what a beauty. He's the type a guy to grumble or chuckle if you asked if it's for sale.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 09-05-2021 at 06:29 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 06:57 PM   #12
67C10Step

Oh man does this hit home for me. I drive for work a good bit and I often take alternate routes home for a change in scenery and a bit of stalking myself.

There is a super nice, unmolested mid 70's short step side about 15 minutes north of my house sitting under the overhang of a large metal building. The 10 foot chain link fence and all the No Trespassing signs make me think my approach would not be received well.

There is also a 68-72 nosed into a shed behind a house about 30 minutes to the west of me. It's two tone and there is a blanket or something thrown over the tailgate. I just know it's a gem. Older couple live there and I've only seen the gentleman outside once. I just haven't got the nerve to stop and ask yet.

There is a red 69-72 step that looks really nice that is under a metal cover less than five minutes from my house. Big box truck parked behind it that never moves and I wonder if that is to keep anyone from trying to steal it.

Full primer short fleet side 71-72 model 20 minutes north under a metal cover as well.

I guess I am a bit of a stalker after all.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:22 AM   #13
Blue GMC

There is one I have had my eye on for many years. It an 86 K10 SWB that is owned by a friend of the family. He has a Model A as well as a 66 Chevelle SS 396. But the truck is the one I have been after it only has 68k on the clock and looks like it just rolled out of the GMC factory. He knows I’ll buy it without blinking an eye and he will tease me with what offers he gets from random people off the street. But that said I know I will get the first crack at it when he is done with it.
Blue GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 03:08 PM   #14
ChevyGuyNC

Did that same thing when we lived in NC. There was a 71-72 long bed in front of a house on the 'back way' home. At least once a week I'd go home that way just to see if it was still there... one week it was gone.

As for my 72 Cheyenne Super, not really stalking but... When I found it online at Streetside in Dallas, I called, and was told it was pending sale. Someone had an inspection scheduled. I told the salesman If that buyer doesn't take it, call me. Kept checking online, it was still there... Called again and talked to the same guy. He said the inspection had happened, and the buyer had 24 hours to complete the deal. So I called the next day, and the salesman said, we haven't heard from the buyer yet, hold on. He comes back after a couple minutes and says My GM says I can sell it. So I had it inspected, and made the deal. More persistence than stalking, but I finally got the truck of my dreams.
Old 09-06-2021, 08:36 PM   #15
morepwr

I understand. There is a 68 C10 step side near my house that never moves and is dust covered and no matter how often I drive by or walk the dog down that street, I never see anyone out to chat with. There is however a German Shepard behind the fence that makes it clear he doesn't want a visitor!
Old 09-07-2021, 11:35 AM   #16
tutone

Yeah, it's a wonder my neck isn't broke from looking in the fencerows and back yards. My wife thinks I just look at the road enough to stay on it. The frost green camaro reminded me of 1987 when I was driving an ice cream truck on a vacation relief route. The reg driver told me about a 68 marina blue 68 RS Camaro that ran about town with a silver haired lady. This town was about an hour from home, so I never went there. Maybe 6 months later I happened to be delivering at the Sureway in town there and she pulls up while I was unloading. I asked the check in clerk if he knew her, and if he would introduce us. He assured me that there was a looooong line of folks that wanted that car, and she wouldn't sell, at least not to me. He was right. Never saw it again, but I did make a rediculous offer.
1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 01:21 PM   #17
Big Kev-O

For about a year I had stalkers knocking on my door asking about my friends 78 Corvette that was parked in my driveway. My wife would poke fun at me and say nobody ever asks about my truck which was sitting on the street as the Vette occupied my driveway. One day a guy came to the door and asked "Is that your truck out there?" I looked back at my wife and smiled thinking somebody was finally gonna ask about my truck. Then he said his wife hit my truck with her SUV earlier that day and he wanted to give me his insurance information. Still hoping somebody knocks on the door just to show the wife my truck is desirable. I don't mind people knocking on my door to ask about my cars or sell me girl scout cookies, all others can stay away.
Old 09-07-2021, 03:22 PM   #18
Markuli

Since I've moved to my new town I've had a few neighbors stop and ask me about my 67, but nothing crazy.

On the flipside, up the street from my parent's house there's a home on the corner with a raggedy garage. When their minivan isn't in the driveway, you can spot two round taillights and a skinny chrome rear bumper tucked away in there, which I can only imagine belong to a 68-73 corvette. I'd like to imagine it's a 68-72 though! Never had a chance to strike up a conversation with the homeowners though. One day, I guess!
Markuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:17 PM   #19
gmc684x4

The only ones that bother me are the guys that purposely trespassed on my acreage sneaking in the back yard then come back asking to buy my tach from my 69 4x4 sb tach and ac truck I had a rottie at that time I let her bark at them they got the hint
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:44 PM   #20
Old_Gold

My wife has called me a car and truck stalker for years; I told her I was reading this to get new ideas! Probably will never buy a vehicle that way, but like to think about the potential, and once in a while get to hear a story or a plan for some old iron!
Old_Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 04:31 AM   #21
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I have a story about a 1987 C10 Shorty I first spotted in 2004/2005. I have bought and sold probably a 100 or so vehicles in my life but this is the only "stalking adventure " that comes to mind. Wait, I just remembered I bought my 1970 Panther Pink Dodge Charger in 1985 by knocking on the door after I saw it sitting for a month or so. Okay the tuck story. There is an Old Folks Home near my place and about 2004 /2005 I noticed a charcoal gray 1987 shorty c10 sitting in the same place on the property all the time. After a few months I stopped to look at it one day and it was pretty clean. It was a loaded Silverado even had the dual factory gas tanks with factory rallys and missing a couple trim rings. I left a note under the wiper with my number and never got a call. A few months later left another note under the wiper and this time when I was at work he called my house and told my wife he wasn't interested in selling the truck and not to leave any more notes on the truck. Okay a year later , 2006, its still there, I should mention it was been used and driven by the owner not just sitting all that time, so I said what the hell I left another note under the wiper. About 6 weeks later I came home from work and the wife said you know the truck you been leaving the notes on, well today you got the call and he will sell it. it had 245,000 kms ( 147,000 miles ) on it and he had bought it new. On the test drive it was running very rough and he admitted that's why he was selling it. Anyway bought it for 1200.00. Started to drive it and it rode like a tank as there were 6 leaves on each rear spring. So added 1500.00 to what I had in it and sold it very quickly. To this day I still cant see what all the hoopla is on the swb trucks of any genre.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote