The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2006, 04:56 PM   #1
greenhorn male

Fair price for this bed and tailgate

Longbed with a roll pan. Pretty straight in and out. No major faults. Front cross piece is straight. Just small fixable dents on taigate and bed floor. Very little bowing. I'm not sure I will sell it yet. I'm still deciding if I'm going to replace it with a later style dually bed or not. Bed will have to be picked up and removed from truck. Includes Factory auxilliary tank and all mouldings you see on bed and tailgate. What is a fair price in Nor Cal.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:03 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Fair price for this bed and tailgate

Does it have upper or lower trim?
What kind of floor, and condition?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 05:12 PM   #3
greenhorn male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man
Does it have upper or lower trim?
What kind of floor, and condition?
I know I forgot somethig.

Last edited by greenhorn male; 03-30-2006 at 02:28 AM.
greenhorn male is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 05:19 PM   #4
greenhorn male

3 more pics

Last edited by greenhorn male; 03-30-2006 at 02:27 AM.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:53 PM   #5
Longhorn Man

Bummer you are clear over there. That would sell for quite a bit here. Probably worth it's weight in scrap over there where there is no rust.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:04 PM   #6
speedracer
Blank

yeah I'd give you about $1200 for that if you were near Connecticut

1969 lwb 4/6 drop 17x8-18x10 torque thrust II's 327-420hp 2004R 3.73 posi.
1977 Corvette 350-375hp 4speed, silver show car.
2002 S10 xtreme, work truck
2004.5 VW jetta GLI 1.8T 6speed, weekend warrior.
2013 Audi A3 TDI, the wife's car
speedracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:15 PM   #7
greenhorn male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man
Bummer you are clear over there. That would sell for quite a bit here. Probably worth it's weight in scrap over there where there is no rust.
No rust ? This truck has rust on the drivers door. I haven't pulled the carpet up yet to see what's under that. I've seen plenty of rusted trucks out here. The last truck I parted had rust on the kick panels and toolbox door and they both ended up in So Cal, so there must be rust down there, too My 71 4x4 had rust on each end of the firewall from leaves built up under the cowl. I thought rust was a factory option on these trucks . Also since these longbeds are used out here mostly for work trucks, beds and tailgates have their share of dents, repair and bondo. The only rust I honestly haven't seen up here in the my area is rust through on a steel bed floor, bedsides or tailgates. I'm sure there are some but I haven't run across any yet, even in wrecking yards.

Does the roll pan take away from the value of the bed or add to it? I don't know why the PO added the roll pan. I would prefer to have a bumper.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:23 PM   #8
greenhorn male

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer
Oh, it's only a 3000 mile road trip
Old 02-23-2006, 10:28 PM   #9
da-burb
"Ochre Ogre"

I see boxes like that for $600 to $750 in the midwest. You usually don't get a tailgate with that either. The roll pan wouldn't improve the price one bit in my opinion, depending on how easy it would be to change it back. Lot's of work would be a deduction.

Bowtie Truck Stop Inc.
Mid-West GM Truck Restoration Parts Supplier
Your Key Parts, Auto Metal Direct, Dynacorn,
and Goodmark dealer.
like us @ www.facebook.com/BowtieTruckStop

1971 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1971 K-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 K-20 Suburban (Yellow- that just aint right!)

Springfield, Minnesota 56087
da-burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:32 PM   #10
JAKES 68GMC
Aluminum slot wheels rule...

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer
1200 BUCKS????????? I paid 1800 for my WHOLE TRUCK!!!! The bed is in good shape though.
Is a nice 8" bed really worth that much $$$???????
JAKES 68GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:35 PM   #11
68haywagon
I'm watching you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKES 68GMC
1200 BUCKS????????? I paid 1800 for my WHOLE TRUCK!!!! The bed is in good shape though.
Is a nice 8" bed really worth that much $$$???????
yes
1968 Chevrolet C-10 longbed fleetside - sold
68haywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:37 PM   #12
special-K
Special Order

A 3,000 mile trip if he stays,6,000 if he goes home.
Truck beds still get wrecker or beat up even if they are where things don`t rust.So,they`re always worth something.From what I`ve seen,not being in California,is they go for at least 4-500 dollars,as much as eight.They don`t make repros.But,if they did,they`d cost as much in AZ as they would in MI.

Edit:w/o tailgate

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 02-24-2006 at 08:38 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:47 PM   #13
JAKES 68GMC
Aluminum slot wheels rule...

If there we repro beds, we all know most of them would be crap, anyways. Look at repro has tanks. "Just like the original" my @ss.
JAKES 68GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:01 PM   #14
Longhorn Man

Well, I'm sure you have rust over there, and I was exadurating a little, but over here, we have rust that'll make the gas tank fall out, or the seat fall onto the frame. I saw one a few months ago in a junk yard where the floor of the bed was so weak, the bed fell down over the frame. Even an '80's Toyota truck that broke in 1/2 from rust.
THAT's What i'm talking about as far as rust.
I've seen people on here from SoCal who see pics of rusted cab corners and ask if it is really worth fixing up being such a rust bucket... another guy from the southwest somewhere asking how hard a cab swap is becouse it needed a rocker panel. I know there are rusty vehicles out there, but west coast vehicles are generally 10 times better than anything in the rust belt.

As far as pricing, at work we are completing the restoration (I'm using that word for lack of better terms) a 1989 S-10 POS. The bed on it was not secured to the frame at all and would shift an inch or so from side to side when you'd take corners. I literally disconnected the filler neck, and tail light harness and a couple ground straps, and flipped the bed off. We started looking for a replacement short bed for a first generation S series. Ended up paying 1200 bucks for a decent one from a guy in Michigan who goes to GA to get parts.
That was after 4 months of calling yards all over Ohio and into indiana and kentucky.

So yeah, rust free parts (or minimally rusted parts) are worth big bucks here in the midwest.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:22 PM   #15
greenhorn male

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K
A 3,000 mile trip if he stays,6,000 if he goes home.
I forgot about the trip back.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:29 AM   #16
luisduran

LONGHORN MAN explain it very well, here in Chicago il take one of those rusty California trucks any time.
luisduran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 12:42 AM   #17
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Smile Re: Fair price for this bed and tailgate

i've seen that truck and the bed is very nice for it's age. i paid 350 for my long bed several years ago without the tailgate and auxillary tank. even out here it should be worth 600-800 to someone looking for a straight bed. some guys might even like the rollpan personally, i'd put it back stock. a slammed 2wd with a rollpan does look kinda cool though
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:38 AM   #18
greenhorn male

Well, I have 10 hrs to decide if I am going with this swap. If I don't buy the newer dually bed then this truck is going on the backburner to continue working on my blue truck again.

Maybe I should have saved all the nice bedsides I came across over the last couple of years and put them in a flatbed headed east. You should have seen the long bedsides at a wrecker here a few months back. They were completely disassembled and looked brand new, even the original paint shined.
The steel bed floor had no dings but was bowed from people walking on it (was already separated from the bedsides). They asked me to make them an offer on them as they needed the parts out ASAP because they didn't have a title. I don't lnow what they did with the cab. I think it was crushed. They were going to crush the other parts if they didn't sell it that day. I'm not sure if someone bought them. I had no use or room for them and didn't know there was a demand for long bedsides.

Last edited by greenhorn male; 02-24-2006 at 01:40 AM.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:43 AM   #19
special-K
Special Order

The floor`s bowed from people walking on it?I didn`t think Bigfoot liked it south of Ukiah

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 11:47 AM   #20
greenhorn male

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K
The floor`s bowed from people walking on it?I didn`t think Bigfoot liked it south of Ukiah
The floor was by itself, disassembled and one end was raised laying on other parts from this truck. I'm guilty of walking on it myself. It didn't looked damaged and I'm sure would have strightened when installed on the bedsides and on a truck with a little hammering, but other than not being completely flat when I saw it, it was the cleanest bedfloor I've seen.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:17 PM   #21
greenhorn male

Well, I didn't purchase the bed, so I guess I'll leave this truck alone for now until I install the engine. Thanks for all the input.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:18 PM   #22
oatzy

I just got a new (used) bed for my chevy guess I got lucky. It is a straight soild rust free bed including tailgate and all the lights. For 500 bucks. Almost impossible to find old good parts up here in alaska.
oatzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:28 PM   #23
greenhorn male

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3ADS%3AMT%3A28

This is the bed I wanted to buy. I spoke to him on the phone and he said he would take certain measurements for me, specially the measurement from the front to the center of the wheel well. I'm not sure if the wheelbases were close to ours on the newer trucks. I never got the measurements from him so I held back on bidding. Someone got a good price. Anyway, it'll give me more time to think about it. The thread on duallies got me going, specially the picture of the black 72 Dually with the 90's rear fender.