The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2019, 02:38 PM   #1
Ken O.

Vintage race car parts

So I was put in contact with a local guy who has 4 vintage Brahbam BT-35 race cars. He wanted someone who could make replacement body pieces for him. They try to be careful but they still race hard and things get broken. So I borrowed a nose mold from him and made one part just to see how much it would take and figure out a price. He really liked the first part I made and already wants 5 more. So he will have a spare for each car. He has all the other molds for the body pieces so once I get the rest of these noses done we'll see what we can do about the rest of the car. Pretty fun. These were mostly fiberglass with 1 layer of carbon to add some stiffness.
Attached Images

Ken O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:10 AM   #2
Rickysnickers

Re: Vintage race car parts

Wow,nice!
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:45 AM   #3
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Nicely done. You should show the process of making these. I hear its a pretty messy job.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:20 PM   #4
Troy Sr

Beautiful, you are an artist!!!
Old 11-09-2019, 07:45 PM   #5
Ken O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Nicely done. You should show the process of making these. I hear its a pretty messy job.
Thanks guys. I'll get some pictures once he gets the noses on the cars and painted. I actually do resin infusion which is all inside the
mold. It's very clean and very little odor. The only messy part was joining the top and bottom which was hand layed fiberglass. I'll do a video on the next one.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:09 AM   #6
jovibuilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken O. View Post
Thanks guys. I'll get some pictures once he gets the noses on the cars and painted. I actually do resin infusion which is all inside the
mold. It's very clean and very little odor. The only messy part was joining the top and bottom which was hand layed fiberglass. I'll do a video on the next one.
Please do. I bought out a company that made custom step side beds for mid sized trucks. I have all the molds and would like to make some when I retire in 4 years. So post a video of how you do it!!
Attached Images

jovibuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:19 PM   #7
Ken O.

Here is how I do my model boats. Same process but these are all carbon fiber. The pictures are layer by layer. First layer of 5.7 oz carbon, 2nd layer of carbon, 2mm Honeycomb core for stiffness. Then I added a little bit of ballistic Kevlar around the area where the removable cockpit will be. Then the 3rd layer of carbon. Then a white layer which is a nylon Peel ply. This is removed after the part is done and keeps the next layer and the bag from sticking to the part. Then the green flow mesh which helps the resin to flow across the part during the infusion process. ( The car parts are 5.7 oz fiberglass, 5.7 oz carbon, 2mm honeycomb, then 1 more layer of fiberglass) Then I put it in a vacuum bag. I do an envelope bag meaning that the mold and everything is inside the bag. A perimeter bag just goes around the outside edge of the mold. Then you turn on the vacuum pump and suck all the air out and look for any leaks. The pump should pull about 26-28 inches of vacuum if there are no leaks. Usually have to shift the bag around and get it down in all the corners so there is no bridging across gaps. Once that is all done then you mix up the resin and open the feed line. The resin is then sucked into the part and flows through the fabric. The nice thing about this system is that you get the optimal fabric/resin ratio. To some people it looks like it’s dry, like it didn’t get enough resin, but it’s ok. You don’t have a bunch of extra resin making your part heavy for no reason. Once the resin is cured the bag comes off, the green flow mesh and peel ply are removed and discarded. The peel ply leaves a nice textured finish that is easy to glue to later.
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2019, 02:23 PM   #8
Ken O.

And more pictures with a video of the infusion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7_E7Lj0g9E
Attached Images