The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 04:16 PM   #51
Gotenntitans

Re: Stolen last night

I looked at the red truck. It is not our truck. I do believe he has my bumper and tires. I got the numbers via email; I purchased the tires in January of 2017. The guy said those numbers will be specific to the four tires I purchased. I did not get the red truck's license number......dumb on my part, but I'll see it again and when I do I'm gonna get the license number and take my information to the police. My cop friend said that they will go to the residence where the truck is registered and check the numbers on the sidewall of the tires. Had I got the license number, they would have already done it.
2003 Chevy Silverado
Old 10-19-2019, 04:26 PM   #52
hatzie

It's possible someone saw your truck and copied your bumper mod. It does look unique.

Wheels and tires are easy to fence. The cops could take em from the guy but I doubt they'll roll over on the critters that they got em from.
If the tires turn out to be stolen from you it would be worthwhile for the cops to have the VIN from your rig to look at the engine and transmission VIN #s. The last six of the engine and trans VIN numbers will match the last six digits of the full VIN if they came from your truck.
The tire serials matching stolen parts might be enough to get a warrant to check the other #s if they aren't cooperative.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:53 PM   #53
Gotenntitans

If the tires turn out to be mine, my cop friend said they'll be able to check everything out on the red truck and pressure the owner as to where he got them and who he got them from.
2003 Chevy Silverado
Old 10-19-2019, 05:52 PM   #54
Loco83

Hope it works out for you John.
Malo83
Old 10-20-2019, 02:04 AM   #55
Gotenntitans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco83 View Post
Hope it works out for you John.
Malo83
Thanks. I do really believe this guy has my stuff on his truck. If it's not, it's back to the drawing board......if he does.......gonna let the cops handle it, but I'm gonna be there if they don't.
2003 Chevy Silverado
Old 10-25-2019, 12:14 PM   #56
Jeepwm69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotenntitans View Post

OK guys, we still have not recovered our beloved Milk Cow, but a red swb mid 90s fleetside has just shown up in my town and I am 99% positive it's running my wheels & tires and is also sporting my front bumper. I have never seen this truck before until about two weeks ago. I saw it at Wal Mart yesterday and got a closer look.

That bumper with the vertical guards was bought by me off a wrecked Suburban. I have NEVER seen another swb truck non 4x4 with a front bumper with those guards on it.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
My grandfather's 1990 GMC had those guards on the front bumper when he bought it. I wasn't a fan and always planned on removing them if I got the truck when he got ready to sell it. He bought the truck new and they were on it when he bought it.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:59 AM   #57
shifty
Questionable

Sending positive vibes your way! Hoping this leads to a case solved, even if you don't manage to get the truck back. The police will have leverage on the person with the bumper and wheels, nobody wants a charge for possession of stolen good. They'll probably use that to get a rollover. But there's always a distinct chance this person bought it all off Craigslist on a part-out. Happens all the time with stolen vehicles.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:49 PM   #58
hatzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
Sending positive vibes your way! Hoping this leads to a case solved, even if you don't manage to get the truck back. The police will have leverage on the person with the bumper and wheels, nobody wants a charge for possession of stolen good. They'll probably use that to get a rollover. But there's always a distinct chance this person bought it all off Craigslist on a part-out. Happens all the time with stolen vehicles.
The person in possession would have to meet the criminal to pick up the stolen parts. They can ID the guy and say where they met them.
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:37 AM   #59
Gotenntitans

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
The person in possession would have to meet the criminal to pick up the stolen parts. They can ID the guy and say where they met them.
That's what we're hoping. My cop friend said that if the tire numbers match, they'll have a definite connection to build on. Still haven't seen the red truck again. Why didn't I write down the license number???
2003 Chevy Silverado
Old 10-31-2019, 07:52 AM   #60
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Unfortunately, doesn't always work out, though. Depends mostly on how clumsy or ignorant the seller is and how savvy and/or motivated the local PD is.

Here in my city, through the early 2000s, the local PD's cybercrime division was sorely lacking and/or totally overwhelmed, I'm still not entirely sure which. A neighbor's laptop was stolen when his house was burglarized. eBay buyer in Texas contacted him a short period of time later to get his password after buying from the fence's eBay account. We confirmed the serials matched and I even had someone on city council giving me direct access to the PD to relay info. Sadly, PD's cyber team was either unable or unwilling to dig, so I used my work resources to trace the eBay account and PayPal account to two young men about 7 miles away in the next city east, roughly 1/2 mile from the most eastern PD precinct. I gave firsname, last name, business aliases, their social media pages, all known email addresses, etc. I also had access to PD's crime reports and was able to match up multiple items recently sold in their eBay account to local burglaries from the last 90 days. Still, with all this evidence I was literally handing to their cyber division, they were unwilling to approach eBay for a records request because the goods were being sold entirely out of state and they weren't willing to work on it. Instead they watched the residence to monitor for fence-like activity. They ultimately ended up nailing the SOB's 9 months later on a handful of charges, but they had half a dozen charges on them 9 months prior, and the guys were allowed to continue victimizing people for months when they potentially had enough to obtain a warrant for the residence and arrest for the eBay sales alone, then nip it in the bud. Just annoying for me, a non-LEO who tends to work with LEOs a lot via my line of work and community volunteerism. But I'll never slander our public servants in blue, just like teachers, our LEOs have one of the more impossible jobs in society.

For this truck/parts case, the more savvy the crook, the tougher it gets, especially for smaller PDs who may lack resources of a larger city's PD. Let's say the local PD's cyber resources were actually proficient, but the thief and/or chop shop operator was smart enough to only communicated on Craigslist email using a mail.ru account or something - it's based in Russia where they could care less about US police matters or a court order/subpoena/warrant, so trying to find out who was behind the account proves impossible. The PD team could potentially file a records request with CL to get the seller's IP, then go to the ISP to trace the user, but what if the user was - again - using a VPN internationally? Most PD's won't bother with international subpoenas even with a friendly country if they know it's international. You could work off the meet-up spot, but I would expect someone selling stolen goods would probably choose to meet in the back of a Walmart parking lot where there's no cameras to record anything. Would make it a tough path.

Fortunately, criminals usually aren't that smart or savvy. For that we should be thankful.

And that said, I hope Gotentntitan's local PD nails these jack@sses to the wall. One less thief scumbag on the street.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:53 PM   #61
Gotenntitans

Still have not seen the red truck again, but one of my son's friends said he knows a crackhead guy who has "a bunch" of stuff off a truck like ours that he's trying to sell. The crackhead tried to sell this kid a 350 5.7 engine. Not sure if we had a 5.7 or not, but we did have a 350 for sure. Is there a way the engine can be traced to our missing truck's vin#?

The crackhead has the motor and other stuff "at his deer camp out in the woods."
2003 Chevy Silverado

Last edited by Gotenntitans; 11-10-2019 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:22 PM   #62
hatzie

If it's original to the truck the last 6 digits of the eingine VIN will match the last 6 digits of the vehicle VIN.
Most of the smallblocks stamped ident numbers are on a block deck pad protrusion forward of the area covered by the RH cylinder head usually buried out of sight under the alternator or AC compressor. (I use the RH & LH auto industry standard... the Left and Right Hands of the driver seated behind the steering wheel)
http://nastyz28.com/chevy-engine-code-stampings.php
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

Old 11-11-2019, 07:04 PM   #63
Gotenntitans

Quote:
If it's original to the truck the last 6 digits of the eingine VIN will match the last 6 digits of the vehicle VIN.
Most of the smallblocks stamped ident numbers are on a block deck pad protrusion forward of the area covered by the RH cylinder head usually buried out of sight under the alternator or AC compressor. (I use the RH & LH auto industry standard... the Left and Right Hands of the driver seated behind the steering wheel)
http://nastyz28.com/chevy-engine-code-stampings.php
thanks so much! The engine is original to the truck. If this is our engine, I think we got him! Now we're just waiting on the crackhead to agree to a meeting place for the engine and/or anything else he's trying to sell. I have called the police and they said whenever my son's friend hears back, we need to let them know when and where the meet will take place. Crackhead disclosed to my son's friend that they have to keep this on the down low because it is off a stolen truck that he's been sitting on.

This has got to be it!!! Crackhead lives in a town 15 miles away. Hope this works out and crackhead ends up in jail!
2003 Chevy Silverado
Old 11-11-2019, 09:08 PM   #64
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Crackhead disclosed to my son's friend that they have to keep this on the down low because it is off a stolen truck that he's been sitting on.
What a friggin' idiot!! Who actually discloses that ?!

Congrats on finding the jackass who victimized you. Try not to pound his skull in, let the LEOs take care of it! And post back with all the gory details.

Gah, this really gets my goat. What a jackass.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:40 PM   #65
Gotenntitans

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
What a friggin' idiot!! Who actually discloses that ?!

Congrats on finding the jackass who victimized you. Try not to pound his skull in, let the LEOs take care of it! And post back with all the gory details.

Gah, this really gets my goat. What a jackass.
I don't know for sure it's off our truck, but this crackhead has had the stolen truck hid out behind a locked gate at his deer camp. That is exactly what my cop friend told me might happen when it went missing in April. He said it happens often in our rural area in south Arkansas. Anyway, crackhead needs to move it because deer season is upon us and the truck has to go because hunters are showing up. The question is.....where is it now?

Hoping my son's friend comes through and sets up the meet for the 350 engine. He told him he might need some more stuff so we're hoping crackhead leads him to the carcass of whatever is left of our truck. I'm still almost positive that the red truck I saw a while back has my bumper and tires. Crackhead must be trying to part it out as hunting season approached.

There's actually another connection that we found. My son looked the crackhead up on Facebook and he is friends with my daughter's scumbag boyfriend, who is in jail for drugs right now. That SOB knew about our truck and could quite possibly be the reason why our truck was targeted. Lots of things still up in the air right now.

20 year old white trash crackheads won't work, so they steal honest people's stuff. It's hard to sit and wait for a phone call, but that's what Im gonna have to do and I respect the law enough to let them do their jobs and handle it the right way.
2003 Chevy Silverado
Old 11-11-2019, 09:48 PM   #66
TKCR

If this was me and I found out that “crackhead” indeed had my truck, the cops better get him before I did. Or his crackhead would be become a basketball head! I’d be bouncing his head all over the pavement!! God I hate people that steal!
Old 11-11-2019, 10:34 PM   #67
Gotenntitans

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
If this was me and I found out that “crackhead” indeed had my truck, the cops better get him before I did. Or his crackhead would be become a basketball head! I’d be bouncing his head all over the pavement!! God I hate people that steal!
Believe me, I am getting antsy to start calling around telling this story to people so it'll get back to crackhead that I'm onto him, but the police advised me not to. They say stay cool and just let the meet get set up, then they'll do their best to check to see if crackhead has pieces of my truck. It is frustrating playing the waiting game. I have not mentioned any of this to my daughter either for fear she'll contact her druggie boyfriend in jail and he'll somehow tell his friend we're onto him.

I believe my daughter's POS boyfriend and his friend,crackhead, stole our truck, hid it out in the woods behind a locked gate since April, and crackhead has just recently began selling parts off it. That's what I believe has happened. Proving it begins with finding the very first piece that's traceable to our vin number.
2003 Chevy Silverado
Old 11-11-2019, 11:51 PM   #68
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

Man, I really hope this is the lead you’ve been waiting for!

My Build threads:
1966 Chevy C-10 "Black Betty"

shortbed, fleetside, BBW, 327 V8/ Powerglide (under construction)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ighlight=betty

1997 Chevy Tahoe, 2dr/2wd, mild custom (Daily driver)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=601142

Pics:
'66 C-10 https://flic.kr/s/aHsjHWD4h9
'97 Tahoe https://flic.kr/s/aHsjGZ7wKP
'93 C-1500 https://flic.kr/s/aHskxdpdnQ
'88 S-10 Blazer https://flic.kr/s/aHsjYGx4Md

Previous Rides:
1993 Chevy S-10 ext. cab, 4.3L, 4/5 drop (Sold)
1993 Chevy C-1500 short/step Retro-Rod (Sold)
1988 S-10 Blazer 2dr/2wd mild custom (Sold)
Old 11-11-2019, 11:59 PM   #69
Gotenntitans

Quote:
Originally Posted by likaroc13 View Post
Man, I really hope this is the lead you’ve been waiting for!
Thanks, I have to believe it is.
2003 Chevy Silverado
Old 11-12-2019, 12:15 PM   #70
hatzie

Quote:
Believe me, I am getting antsy to start calling around telling this story to people so it'll get back to crackhead that I'm onto him, but the police advised me not to. They say stay cool and just let the meet get set up, then they'll do their best to check to see if crackhead has pieces of my truck. It is frustrating playing the waiting game. I have not mentioned any of this to my daughter either for fear she'll contact her druggie boyfriend in jail and he'll somehow tell his friend we're onto him.

I believe my daughter's POS boyfriend and his friend,crackhead, stole our truck, hid it out in the woods behind a locked gate since April, and crackhead has just recently began selling parts off it. That's what I believe has happened. Proving it begins with finding the very first piece that's traceable to our vin number.
You don't want to spook the dirtbag. Let it play out.
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

Old 11-12-2019, 04:06 PM   #71
Gotenntitans

Quote:
You don't want to spook the dirtbag. Let it play out.
EXACTLY! They're usually pretty paranoid anyway. My son'd friend said that he tried calling crackhead all day yesterday and he didn't return his call. Probably dismantling my truck and delivering the parts one at a time. Kinda like the Johnny Cash song where he steals a part here and there and ends up with a whole car. I always liked that song. Its a 55,56,57,58,59.......automobile.
2003 Chevy Silverado
Old 11-13-2019, 12:17 PM   #72
kazoocruiser

bump of the o what a bummer thread
1981 Harley Davidson.
Credentialed, semi-retired A.S.E. technician. If you don't like free advice, Ask Someone Else and pay for it.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:31 PM   #73
kazoocruiser

Cool Re: Stolen last night

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoocruiser View Post
bump of the o what a bummer thread
My thoughts exactly.

I brought a boat & free trailer home three weeks ago. I know the guys who are now holding it hostage for ransom of $150.00 and no sense.

I offered a cash tender (partial) as good faith payment against the ransom, & the cash tender was refused. That means they now have to give me back my booty for free. Yes, you read that correctly. On the dollars I read & you can too, "This note is good for ALL DEBTS, PUBLIC & PRIVATE" Since they refused it, now I just go into small claims, and sue them for say comma, TREBLE DAMAGES. Lessee. . . 1 $1,400.oo single axle terailer, plus a serviceable Mercruiser 3.0 4 cylinder (pssst, made by GM) with a carburetor and EPA exemption putting out 180 hp at the prop, , , do the math carny the prop wash over and torque specs fit that unit directly into my tired replacement problem inline 6 80 puny horsepower tractor motor, either that or a Jeep 4.liter. Or a BMW inline driveline. Anyone see where this is going yet?

They want my boat? They can pay for my MOTOR, & TRANSMISSIONS,

& the GARAGE LABOR. Anyone know either a good attorney, as in returns calls, or a GARAGE. . .that returns calls?

Gotta squash a pumpkin to kill a pimp or something like that.
1981 Harley Davidson.
Credentialed, semi-retired A.S.E. technician. If you don't like free advice, Ask Someone Else and pay for it.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:30 PM   #74
Jeepwm69

Hope it turns out to be your truck, although it sounds like you might be dismayed at the shape it will be in.

Keep us posted!
Old 11-15-2019, 08:41 AM   #75
Gotenntitans

Crackhead still isn't returning phone calls. POS!
2003 Chevy Silverado
Closed Thread