The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2017, 11:04 AM   #1
ptc

Need Parts please!

I need the front window guides off a 55-59 TF truck. Im doing a wing window delete so I dont need the whole wing window assembly in good working order or anything like that I just need the rail and bracket portion that is in the door.

So if you have a messed up set or junk set that is not re-useable as a wing window I would like to buy it from you

Old 07-07-2017, 02:52 PM   #2
b-mac

Re: Need Parts please!

Did you try bow-tie-bits?
b-mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:00 PM   #3
ptc

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-mac View Post
Did you try bow-tie-bits?
I will give them a try... closes at noon on Fridays! just my luck.

trying to find 'people' who need to get rid of their unwanted parts first - if possible.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:02 PM   #4
ptc

Will the 51-54 front guide work on a 2nd series? looks almost the same, I cant believe the glass thickness would be any different? anybody have dimensions?
Old 07-07-2017, 04:59 PM   #5
idbeast

Your best way to do this is to put in a 1 piece window U Channel. I will post pictures and part number s later when I get home. I bought a Bros one piece kit and ended up redoing the channels and the door glass.
idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 03:16 AM   #6
Daze57

let me check i may have what you need
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:21 PM   #7
idbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by idbeast View Post
Your best way to do this is to put in a 1 piece window U Channel. I will post pictures and part numbers later when I get home. I bought a Bros one piece kit and ended up redoing the channels and the door glass.
Here's where the problem exists, and how to fix it...
The original glass and frame are .430 almost 7/16" the one piece glass is .230 that's less then 1/4"...
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2017, 01:58 PM   #8
idbeast

So it seems I need to post a few different post to keep the picture with what I've written!
The OEM Replacement U Channels leave a .200 gap between one side of the channel and the glass so it doesn't seal and creates one heck of a wind noise. The Bros. kit has U channels that fit the glass but don't fit the doors channel area leaving a .200 gap comparing the two channels you will notice that they will fit inside each other, and I know what you are thinking as I did that also… But I'm a very picky and visual person, so I found a set of U Channels that work extremely well!
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2017, 02:20 PM   #9
idbeast

Restoration Specialties & Supply, INC.
148 Minnow Creek Lane
Windbar, PA 15963
814-467-9842

Item Number: 10M-96-WIN Quantity 2
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2017, 09:22 PM   #10
clegg

Thanks for this info. I am at this point right now.
clegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:44 PM   #11
ptc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze57 View Post
let me check i may have what you need
Thanks for checking let me know what you got - I will pm you my number.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:47 PM   #12
ptc

Quote:
Here's where the problem exists, and how to fix it...
The original glass and frame are .430 almost 7/16" the one piece glass is .230 that's less then 1/4"...
Thanks for the step by step. this is just for the bendable window guide part right? But what METAL part did you use to mount that felt guide into for the front support without the wing window? Or did you just cut off the bottom of the wing window assembly like I am planning on doing? Or is that the wrong way? can that felt be the only guide? how do you mount it in the door?

Thanks for the help ---- crazy frustrating!
Old 07-10-2017, 08:25 PM   #13
Daze57

i believe i have what you want --- i can send you the compleat vent window part and you can cut what you need --- vent frame is complete minus window and rubber its basically a complete bare frame

holla

dave
pm me will try to make ya happy sir
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:01 PM   #14
ptc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze57 View Post
i believe i have what you want --- i can send you the compleat vent window part and you can cut what you need --- vent frame is complete minus window and rubber its basically a complete bare frame

holla

dave
pm me will try to make ya happy sir
Awesome! --- PM Sent to ya.

Thanks again appreciate the help. If ya need anything for your build let me know I have a whole bunch of little this and little that stuff.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:10 PM   #15
idbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptc View Post
Thanks for the step by step. this is just for the bendable window guide part right? But what METAL part did you use to mount that felt guide into for the front support without the wing window? Or did you just cut off the bottom of the wing window assembly like I am planning on doing? Or is that the wrong way? can that felt be the only guide? how do you mount it in the door?
Thanks for the help ---- crazy frustrating!
pct, I was looking for the install instructions for you, however I see you have found a lot of your info in this post, it just takes a lot of reading and following links...
I was going to post a how to do one piece windows using all the info I had found but haven't gotten to it yet. If you still need help let me know. I have the power windows kit from Bros, however I can let you know where to go for everything you need, or give you pictures and dimensions for what you are getting from Daze57. I've been fighting with getting this all working and fitting correctly for almost 6 months!!! Jim
Old 07-13-2017, 09:48 AM   #16
ptc

Thank you Jim for all the info. I have found the felt kits and the glass bead stuff from many different sources now. The only thing I couldn't find is the guides (at a decent price) --- the dealers are raping us for these 55-59 parts.... $100 for a set of guides that are not even made or retro-fitted for 1-piece glass I think is robbery.... without a gun!

I found the simplest and easiest power window setup for these trucks to be Electric-Life - and the most economical at $214.00 for the set! From Yogis. Part Number #GM5559-K

Easy to install in about 15 minutes each side
Old 07-14-2017, 08:16 AM   #17
idbeast

ptc, I'm using Specialty Power Windows kit, 5559-2CVR (One piece glass kit) $425 but it includes the guides/channels and wiring with switches. It's all personal choices!!! I've wasted so much money trying to get parts that work properly, it's very frustrating!!! The owner of SPW was a fantastic help with getting my window stuff straightened out, even had the one piece glass that fits properly! Sometimes you do get what you paid for!!!
Old 08-22-2017, 05:26 PM   #18
ptc

Quote:
ptc, I'm using Specialty Power Windows kit, 5559-2CVR (One piece glass kit) $425 but it includes the guides/channels and wiring with switches. It's all personal choices!!! I've wasted so much money trying to get parts that work properly, it's very frustrating!!! The owner of SPW was a fantastic help with getting my window stuff straightened out, even had the one piece glass that fits properly! Sometimes you do get what you paid for!!!
Yea I cant say the same for Electric- Life - The receptionist is a BRICK WALL to try and get thru to tech support. Once I finally got ahold of VITO in the backroom and he wasn't on lunch then we got things straightened out and he was very helpful. Coming from a "DO-IT-YOUR-SELFER" as the phone lady kept calling me (in a derogatory manner), I told her they wouldn't have a business if it wasn't for all us DIY guys making our own cars and trucks! ----

YES I agree these 55-59 doors are the biggest frustration of my whole build. and I'm still not done yet with them. As for paying more and THINKING you are getting more.... well that's a mind game I don't play.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:46 PM   #19
ptc

I finally got my doors to a place; THANK YOU DAZE57!!!! ----- where Im ready to start assembly of the window power regs, guide channels and felts all into place.

I ordered from Restoration Specialties and Jeff is the best guy to talk with about this stuff he knows what it requires EXACTLY....

to answer the question below : the original setup used 3/16" glass - many of the new kits are using 1/4" tempered glass that is available already cut from many sources now, so that felt is wrong, then the 10M96 is also a very hard fit to get into place, its real snug and can pinch the window as it goes up:

Quote:
Why did you use the http://stores.restorationspecialties.com/10-m-96/ rather than the http://stores.restorationspecialties.com/y630p-96/ as per the original parts lists. Looking at the dimensions its a totally different size ???
Then ----- IF you are using the wing window division bar and cutting it down to fit as the front glass guide, then it requires a DIFFERENT FELT than the rear felt. If your not doing this then disregard this whole thing.

The DIV BAR is only .58" wide x .55" Deep channel - you need 2' of this felt
The Rear and top are .75" wide x .50" Deep channel- you need 6' of this felt

Jeff will set you up with whatever you need but this is the setup and he provides the wiper felts also. Once I receive them Ill post them up.

Last edited by ptc; 10-19-2017 at 01:01 PM.
ptc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:41 PM   #20
Old57

This info is what I needed too, following
Old 10-20-2017, 10:33 AM   #21
idbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptc View Post
I finally got my doors to a place; THANK YOU DAZE57!!!! -----to answer the question below : the original setup used 3/16" glass - many of the new kits are using 1/4" tempered glass that is available already cut from many sources now, so that felt is wrong, then the 10M96 is also a very hard fit to get into place, its real snug and can pinch the window as it goes up:
Interesting, my 10M96 fit very well without any pinch anywhere and roll up and down smoothly, and my windows don't have any of the slop and flopping movement I've seen in many other 55-59 one piece window installs. Maybe you have a slight misalignment somewhere...

Jim
Old 02-01-2018, 07:41 PM   #22
QBRacing

@ptc and @idbeast

I bought the 10m96 channel from restoration specialties also for my 58 conversion over here in New Zealand. Now that I have started doing the modifications I understand what you are referring to in regards to the front window channel.

I will attach a picture for anyone else in the future.

As you can see from my pic the rear channel (which if you move back like grimms and blackdiesel did) is wide enough to accept the 10m96 however the front 1/4 channel is to narrow and won't accept it

unless someone knows of a viable, cheap and easily sourcable replacement the only way I see this front channel working is if you took it from a U channel, cut one side off making an L channel section and urethaned the 10m96 onto it.....

I plan on doing a power window kit but that will come over in my big parts order once the bulk of the small work is done.
Attached Images

QBRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:34 PM   #23
QBRacing

to anyone using the 10m96 channel ... how did you stop it from bunching hard out in the corners. I took my time as I pressed it on my wood template and still couldn't get the metal frame to stop pinching and bending at the wrong place ????

HELP!!!!
Attached Images

QBRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:22 PM   #24
idbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBRacing View Post
@ptc and @idbeast

I plan on doing a power window kit but that will come over in my big parts order once the bulk of the small work is done.
QBRacing, sorry for the delayed response, if you are getting power windows for the one piece windows, it should come with the front metal channel, so I would wait for it, however if you are like me, I would just cut one side,as it is just a temporary fix.

On your bunching when I get home, I'll post a picture of the metal working pliers I used to straighten mine, then I carefully separated the glued seam on the back of the C-channel and pulled the bunching out of fabric and reglued it with contact cement.
Jim

Last edited by idbeast; 02-15-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:33 PM   #25
idbeast

Quote:
QBRacing, sorry for the delayed response, if you are getting power windows for the one piece windows, it should come with the front metal channel, so I would wait for it, however if you are like me, I would just cut one side,as it is just a temporary fix.

On your bunching when I get home, I'll post a picture of the metal working pliers I used to straighten mine, then I carefully separated the glued seam on the back of the C-channel and pulled the bunching out of fabric and reglued it with contact cement.
Jim
QBRacing, I used these for flattening the metal. Then I carefully separated the glued seam on the back of the C-channel and pulled the bunching out of fabric and reglued it with contact cement.
Attached Images