The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2022, 09:19 AM   #1
Peanut74

Looking for steering gear box rebuild thead

I am looking for a thread I seen awhile back that gave a step by step on how to rebuild the gear box. I believe it was done by TxFireman but none of my searches have turned up anything. Can anyone point me to the thread?

Yes, I know about the YouTube video and the factory manual. But I liked the step by step in the thread.
2012 Jeep JKU "Crush"
1976 Chevy short bed with a 327 and 3 on the tree (Sold it to buy the Blazer)
1971 Chevy Blazer (Sold it)
Peanut74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 12:08 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Looking for steering gear box rebuild thead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut74 View Post
I am looking for a thread I seen awhile back that gave a step by step on how to rebuild the gear box. I believe it was done by TxFireman but none of my searches have turned up anything. Can anyone point me to the thread?

Yes, I know about the YouTube video and the factory manual. But I liked the step by step in the thread.

Would it be this one....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619634

Kevin has posted a few different "How To" videos on the board over the years. Great guy.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 12:24 PM   #3
68 P.O.S.

Are you just trying to stop leaks, or are you doing a full rebuild? The above link from Kevin is just to seal it. The following link is for a rebuild: https://www.pirate4x4.com/threads/sa...how-to.570869/
Old 03-10-2022, 08:07 PM   #4
Peanut74

Thanks LockDoc and 68POS. I was looking for Kevin's thread as I think my gear box is fine but the seals are shot. However, if I do need to rebuild it I can use the Pirate 4x4 write up. Thanks again for the help gents.

I have power steering on this truck. I did replace the seal on the rag joint but it still leaks once it gets under pressure. So my thinking is the internal 0-rings are worn out.
2012 Jeep JKU "Crush"
Old 03-10-2022, 09:08 PM   #5
MDFarms

Not sure if your wanting to rebuild to save money BUT I just purchased a RedHead Steering gear box for $316.00 plus my core. If you mention FB you get another $25.00 off. Heard nothing but good things on these steering boxes.

Just in case you didn't know.
MDFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 09:09 AM   #6
Peanut74

Thanks MDFarms. That is an option but I am hoping that it's just a seal. I am really trying not to replace the gear box.
2012 Jeep JKU "Crush"
Old 03-11-2022, 06:53 PM   #7
Peanut74

Well my kit came in and has all the parts to rebuild it. Soon, I going to give it a shot and learn something new.

I found a really good video by Chris Craft. It is very detailed and shows ALL the steps to take it apart and rebuild it. The only thing I found he missed was the ruber O-rings under the input shafts Teflon O-rings.
Attached Images

2012 Jeep JKU "Crush"

Last edited by Peanut74; 03-14-2022 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Add ifo
Old 04-11-2022, 03:29 PM   #8
PbFut

I just finished resealing my steering box and thought I would share my experience and result.
First, end result was complete success.
Removing the box was simple but very messy. The box appears to have been leaking a long time. Truck is new to me. Replacing the steering shaft seals was very simple. I did not have a spanner wrench but using a 1/8” drill bit and wedging a screw driver against the input shaft careful not to damage the splines work perfectly and did not damage the holes. Using a punch and hammer will damage the hole some but not the end of the world if needed.
The output side of things was a bit of a challenge for me. Disassembly down to the second/inner seal was also very easy as described in the linked thread. I came upon a very stubborn inner seal that would not come out. It would not budge no matter. I spent the better part of an afternoon and next morning attempting to get that seal out. I did not have a blind seal puller that would fit. I made a tool out of hard double D rod with a lip to get by the needle bearing cage and into the small space onto the seal with no success. I ended up pressing the needle bearing cage partially out to force the seal. Then pressed the cage back into place. I was worried I would damage the cage but the net result was fine. No damage to the cage. Pressing the seals in and reassembly was smooth. I only have about 25 miles on the reseal but it is dry as a bone. Mission accomplished and only a few hairs lost.
Bottom line. The linked write up is very helpful. My box only needed the input shaft seal replaced. I took the “since I’m hear” approach and did the output side as well and it cost me a full day and some stress. It could have been way worse. Given it is relatively easy to remove and install the box, I would only repair what you know is needed so as not to get into a situation of damaging the box for no good reason. If you have a good press, pushing the needle bearing cage out is not the endo of the world. I used a medium sized Harbor Freight press that I’ve had long time with added longer legs to fit larger parts. Not expensive and very useful.
Thanks to all that posted previously. It was a great deal of help.
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 05:33 PM   #9
leftybass209

That's awesome... great to hear! I ran across that thread, and it reminded me of going to college for auto tech where one of the tasks was to rebuild one of these steering gears.

After a complete disassembly/assembly walkthrough, first on a projector using slides, then in person gathered around, then broke off into teams of 2 to accomplish the task using a fairly detailed manual...

At least 5 out of 9 teams failed their first go at it.

hindsight of course but I thought the walkthrough posted here would have been invaluable for some of those guys.

Anyone who posts a repair walkthrough gets the utmost respect and kudos from myself. Lots of teachers get paid good money to do relatively the same thing, but there's plenty of people here that share that knowledge for free.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote