The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2007, 01:26 PM   #176
71BB_LWB
Thread Killer!

Re: Calling all LS1 converted trucks.

Well you can add me to the list also, I picked mine up a month ago unfinished.
Check out my build thread in my sig.
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing twice...
Old 09-11-2007, 02:53 PM   #177
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GenIII View Post
A decent set of heads and a cam will make 400rwhp with all the supporting mods (good cold air intake, headers, exhaust, etc). Alot of what you put to the ground will depend on your gears, what size converter you have, how big (diameter) and heavy your rear wheels and tires are, etc. Ive had several Camaros one being a 99 that made 304rwhp stock, and made 396rwhp with just a cam and supporting mods (stock heads). Best thing to do would be to get on LS1tech or Performancetrucks and do a search. Take care.
If what you say is true I sould be putting well over 400 to the wheels when I get done since I have bored to ls1 pistons, ported and polished the truck heads, patriot 226 cam, tune, headers, duals with h pipe and air intake. I think the 20's will hurt my to the ground hp though.

Last edited by jkade; 09-11-2007 at 02:57 PM.
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:04 PM   #178
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkade View Post
I think the 20's will hurt my to the ground hp though.

I'll be running 20s for the street, but will switch to 15" wheels for the track (with some ET streets on them)
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:19 PM   #179
68GenIII

Quote:
If what you say is true I sould be putting well over 400 to the wheels when I get done since I have bored to ls1 pistons, ported and polished the truck heads, patriot 226 cam, tune, headers, duals with h pipe and air intake. I think the 20's will hurt my to the ground hp though.
What are you running for a tranny? The weight of the twenties is what will hurt your dyno numbers. Who is tuning your motor? So you are running the
LS1 flat tops with the small chambered 5.3 heads, what intake? Tell me a little more about the cam specs? How big is your exhaust, what headers/ mufflers? Nice truck BTW!!
Old 09-11-2007, 05:54 PM   #180
centsless
sufficiently talented fool

Please keep all parts for sale in the correct area ( the parts forum) This thread had a few parts for sale that I edited out.
1981 Corvette
1966 Impala Convertible
Click here to support the board
centsless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:49 PM   #181
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GenIII View Post
What are you running for a tranny? The weight of the twenties is what will hurt your dyno numbers. Who is tuning your motor? So you are running the
LS1 flat tops with the small chambered 5.3 heads, what intake? Tell me a little more about the cam specs? How big is your exhaust, what headers/ mufflers? Nice truck BTW!!
I am running the 4l60e with a fuddle 3200 converter. There is a guy about 45mins away ( genIII performance) that is going to come down when I get it ready to crank it ( hopefully in a week). Yes I am running the ls1 flat tops with the 5.3/4.8 heads that have had a heavy porting and polishing job done to them. I am using a stock ls1 intake until I get the funds for a ls6 intake. The cam is a patriot performance, 226/226 and 585/585 you can buy them new for about $275 and I picked up mine from the guy that is doing my tunning for $150 used out of a customers zo6 vette. I bought a set of mac mid lengths for a f-body and the look like they are going to work without any major surgery. I am going to put 2.5" exhaust with a h-pipe and some resonators for the exhaust. I also bought a set of patriot gold springs that are good to .650 lift and they come with retainers, locks, valve seals, and seats for $225, they are the best deal out there. I also ported my oil pump to boost up the flow a little and upgraded to arp bolts where I could afford them. Also you can save some serious doe if you do your own harness, it is not hard. One more thing, I am using the stock tank behind the seat. I took the sending unit out and drilled a hole and installed a piece of 3/8" tubing for the pick up, I went to advance and looked through there pickup socks for a efi fuel pump and made it fit on the end of the new pickup tube.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:50 PM   #182
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by centsless View Post
Please keep all parts for sale in the correct area ( the parts forum) This thread had a few parts for sale that I edited out.
Thanks for keeping a eye out.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:44 PM   #183
jkade

I hope to have it were I can crank it this weekend. I will try to take some pics tonight. Just a update.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:39 PM   #184
jkade

Here are some pics of my install. I still have to put on wire loom, solder wires to fans and a few in the glove box. Remember this was a low budget work truck build. The guy is coming to do my computer thrusday and I will take it to the muffler shop next week Name:  67 SWB 018.jpg
Views: 1173
Size:  64.3 KB

Name:  67 SWB 019.jpg
Views: 1199
Size:  89.5 KB

Name:  67 SWB 020.jpg
Views: 1190
Size:  90.0 KB

Name:  67 SWB 021.jpg
Views: 1184
Size:  93.7 KB
Old 09-24-2007, 11:47 PM   #185
shifty
Questionable

what can anyone tell me about using a 700R4 with an GenIII engine? what is required to adapt the two and have it work right outta the box? do you need to program the tranny out of the computer?

jkade, i just now realized you were using the LS1/LS6 intake. if i'd have known that, i wouldn't have sold you a truck throttle cable. i suppose it will still work, but the stock LS1 cable would have been nicer/cleaner. hope you get it fired up w/no problems. report back.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:54 AM   #186
68GenIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
what can anyone tell me about using a 700R4 with an GenIII engine? what is required to adapt the two and have it work right outta the box? do you need to program the tranny out of the computer?

jkade, i just now realized you were using the LS1/LS6 intake. if i'd have known that, i wouldn't have sold you a truck throttle cable. i suppose it will still work, but the stock LS1 cable would have been nicer/cleaner. hope you get it fired up w/no problems. report back.
Im not positive but running a 700r4 should be like a turbo 400 or turbo 350. You will need a vacuum source. Im not sure how the over drive or lockup is actuated on the 700r4. If you are running an LS motor why not run a 4l60e so you can control everything with the laptop?

Im going to run a geniii motor with a glide I think. I loved the lowered slammed look but I love to drag race and go fast. Ive got a built glide and Neil Chance converter I had built for my camaro I think Im going to run. I had planned on running a 4l60e as I have 2 sitting here but they wont last long behind the forced induction motor Im going to have in the truck. I want to be able to drive the truck anywhere but I hate fighting tranny problems. Its a tradeoff between mpg and reliability for me. Anywho a 700r4 shouldnt be a big issue to run.

Last edited by 68GenIII; 09-25-2007 at 12:56 AM.
68GenIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:01 AM   #187
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
what can anyone tell me about using a 700R4 with an GenIII engine?
I'm doing this with my 6.0. Pretty straight forward. Just need to adapt the TV cable and torque converter. 5 of 6 bellhousing bolts line right up. DO NOT drill/tap for the sixth- you will hit a water jacket.
Quote:
what is required to adapt the two and have it work right outta the box?
Bowtie overdrives has a kit for about $100 for the TV cable setup. Strangely S&P has a cheaper setup, it's just a bellcrank to attach to the throttle, you use your own cable/bracket ~$30. You will also need a spacer between the flwheel and torque converter to center the snout. This is an off the shelf item from GM used with the 4L80E or offered by many transmission companies ~$20. There is also an LS1 conversion converter made solely for this combo if you just feel like spending money.
Quote:
do you need to program the tranny out of the computer?
Yep. Use a 6-speed program. You will want to use the 700R4's VSS as well.

Any other questions, let me know -Chris

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:58 AM   #188
jkade

Quote:

I made the cable you sold me work. I even used to 67 pedal and rod. My setup looks alot like how you have yours. The motor runs fine for 5 secs till the computer shuts it off. i am having the computer tuned thrus and exhaust next week. I will report back on how it runs.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:19 AM   #189
billyjo

[QUOTE=
You will also need a spacer between the flwheel and torque converter to center the snout. This is an off the shelf item from GM used with the 4L80E or offered by many transmission companies ~$20. There is also an LS1 conversion converter made solely for this combo if you just feel like spending money.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure about this but just thought that I'd throw it out, not all 6.0 have the same crank and they only used the spacer on the early motors.

Bill

1972 K/5 4x4, Radixed LS1 6.0, 428HP/445TQ, Lingenfelter GT2-3 cam, WCCH 90mm J-Tube, LS2 90mm TB, Stainless Works Headers, NV4500, 4.56 gears, Detroit Lockers, 14 bolt FF, Dana 60, 4 wheel disk Hydro Brakes, dual electric fans, Autometer guages, 4" lift, Zero Rates, Weld Evo Velocity XT8 wheels, 35x12.5x17 Super Swamper SSR's.....
http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...tos/?start=all
billyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:21 AM   #190
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjo View Post
I'm not sure about this but just thought that I'd throw it out, not all 6.0 have the same crank and they only used the spacer on the early motors.

Bill
Correct, it would be the ones with iron heads that had the different crank.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:09 PM   #191
SchreinerM

Jason, why the questions about the auto trans? I thought the T56 was in your future.
SchreinerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:08 PM   #192
shifty
Questionable

i was asking for a friend.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:18 AM   #193
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjo View Post

Bill
Spacer is a retrofit for the early tranny with a late motor/crank.

Quote:
Correct, it would be the ones with iron heads that had the different crank.
Correct. Iron head 6.0 does not require spacer.

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
Old 10-01-2007, 12:56 PM   #194
SchreinerM

Just want to verify. I can pick up a 2006 T56 and slap it behind any gen III correct? Meaning the 6 speed will bolt right up to a 5.3L?
Old 10-01-2007, 03:37 PM   #195
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchreinerM View Post
Just want to verify. I can pick up a 2006 T56 and slap it behind any gen III correct? Meaning the 6 speed will bolt right up to a 5.3L?
I don't see why it wouldn't as long as you get a clutch for it that is for a car.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:25 PM   #196
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Forgot to add that you will have to redrill your flexplate for the torque converter unless it is the dual pattern style...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchreinerM View Post
Out of a 2006 what? '98-'02 F-body will work no problem, all except the early 4.8/6.0 with the aforementioned long crank...

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Last edited by gringoloco; 10-01-2007 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:53 PM   #197
SchreinerM

2006 GTO.

I'm hoping buying that tranny doesn't force me to buy a LS2.

????
Old 10-01-2007, 05:49 PM   #198
jmuck

This is my 72 blazer
Attached Images

jmuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:30 PM   #199
jkade

Me and my tuner took mine around the block for the 1st time tonight and I still have a smile on my face. A set of 295/40/20's is no match for the hp the motor puts out. It will smoke them both off as long as you want it to and runs like a bat out of hell. I have owned quite a few mustangs and a 98 trans am and this truck will eat them all. Going to get the exhasut ran tomorrow and I will get it out a little more.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:22 AM   #200
SchreinerM

Sorry to break in again, but does anyone know the answer to if the T56 has changed throughout the years? In short, will a 2006 T56 bolt to everything from a '98 LS1 to a '07 5.3L?