The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2002, 06:14 PM   #1
chaptr2

Thumbs up Columbia Coatings powder coat

I am always on the lookout for better and cheaper companies to buy from (just like you). I have purchased powders from local shops and different companies on the web. I like the powders from Hotcoat, but it is a little pricey. I have found better prices, but still not as good as the local shops sell it for, but the local shops don’t always have the best powders. To me the local powder coating shops, powders sometimes don’t stick very well and the powders come in a plastic baggies. Plus I have to travel to get it. Not really what I want to do.

Columbia Coatings by far is the best I have dealt with. I ordered up six different colors ranging from standard to specialty powders. All of them were way better priced than any company I have ordered from. After using some of the powder and seeing the way it instantly stuck to the metal, (not all are so cooperative even with a perfect ground).
Then after a baking some of the colors, it was better than expected. I also like the way when the shipped it to me. It was in little containers that are able to reseal. If you buy powder from different companies other than Hotcoat you will know that is comes in plastic bags and you need to find some kind of container to store it in.

I plan on spending a lot more money after I’ve seen how impressive the powder and the price is.

70 GMC Short box stepside Blown 388 Stroker
72 K/5 Blazer 350/SM465/205
chaptr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 11:25 PM   #2
71402BB
now thats a true COON DOG

Thumbs up

Cool thanks for the post! I plan on getting the hotcoat system so this will come in handy!

71 SWB Stepside, was a 250, now is a 402 Big Block with 4 speed and 3.73's ( was crushed by a tree, bed sold, motor pulled) was my first truck!... oh well...

72 LWB 4x4 350 4-speed 3.08's posi wearing army olive drab green (SOLD!)

68 BURB 50TH LOOKALIKE work in progress, soon to have 250-I6 with a 3-speed on the tree 4.11's and posi ( currently sitting in back yard tarped awaiting time, $$$, and lots of love!)

67 1 TON- work truck 396 sm 420 4-speed, flat bed 4.57 gears "big red" (my first landscape truck, very rusty and crusty! but still gets the job done when needed!)
71402BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 04:36 PM   #3
chaptr2

TTT for all you powder coaters. Chap

Old 11-14-2002, 11:49 PM   #4
minibike

Tiger drylac is the best powder I have used. Morton is good also. The problem with most of the major brands, is they are tailored to selling 44 or 55 lb boxes. It takes me a year to go through 10lbs of black. They do sell in 5 or 6 lb boxes, but it is at least $10 a pound.

I was thinking about trying columbia, but was curious how good of quality the powders are. How is the UV resistance? I have been burned on some ebay powders that fade in the sun.

Greg
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 02:17 PM   #5
chaptr2

The powder is really worth the money and I haven't had a problem with UV rays. I think if you pay a little bit more for some good powder you wont' have any problems. Plus you don't have to buy it in bulk and the containers are reusable.

A just used some powder from a local shop and it was junk. I took for ever for it to stick to the metal and I really don't like the finish.

So far with all of columbias powder, it sticks really well with little waste.

Chap.