The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-18-2016, 02:39 PM   #1
BattleBorn

First time truck buyer questions

Hello my truck people! I have been looking for a truck for a couple months and I narrowed it down to a couple choices.

My questions are how much rust is too much? I searched on this forum but I didn't really get the answers I was looking for.

My father in law says any rust should be a deal breaker.. but it's damn near impossible to find these trucks with no rust.

On one of my choices for a truck the rockerpanel is rusted through. I'm going to check out the truck this weekend. I'm attaching a pic. (Non blue truck)

On the other truck (blue truck)nothing is rusted through but the rocker panels are bubbling. And the guy sent me pics of the drip rail and to me it looks like they covered something up? Is that normal? I don't know what an untouched driprail looks like.

The other thing is both trucks are about a 6 hour drive away. They say the trucks are running but is it crazy to think I can drive these six hours? (I know it's gonna depend on the truck and it's probably a crap shoot. I guess I'm just looking to see if anyone has done anything like this successfully)

Would love to hear opinions and experiences. Thanks!
Attached Images

BattleBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 02:51 PM   #2
raggedjim

Re: First time truck buyer questions

I would not buy a truck based on those pictures, especially of the rocker panels. The rockers are easily replaced but cover some important areas that are prone to rust (a-pillar, b-pillar, inner rocker panel, etc.) I'd ask for pictures of the inner roof close to the windshield, the front and rear cab supports, the kick panel on both drivers and passenger's side and the cab floor if they would pull the carpet back.

This being said I don't think the bubbles on the blue rockers are rust, it looks like a rough coating that has been painted over.

Good luck, you have a better chance of finding a good truck in Vegas than I do in Kentucky! Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 03:14 PM   #3
davepl

If you're in the desert, you should be able to find a rust-free truck - I managed up here. I'd say the only reason to buy a truck that requires rust repair is if it's rare and desirable for some other reason (Cheyenne Super shortbox, etc). Otherwise your money is almost always better spent buying a better truck than it is repairing the rustier one.

Rust never sleeps, and unless you can do your own bodywork, it's expensive.

All in all, I agree with your father in law :-)
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 03:49 PM   #4
BattleBorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
I would not buy a truck based on those pictures, especially of the rocker panels. The rockers are easily replaced but cover some important areas that are prone to rust (a-pillar, b-pillar, inner rocker panel, etc.) I'd ask for pictures of the inner roof close to the windshield, the front and rear cab supports, the kick panel on both drivers and passenger's side and the cab floor if they would pull the carpet back.

This being said I don't think the bubbles on the blue rockers are rust, it looks like a rough coating that has been painted over.

Good luck, you have a better chance of finding a good truck in Vegas than I do in Kentucky! Rg
Thank you for the insight. It's much appreciated.I will ask for those pictures!
Old 11-18-2016, 03:54 PM   #5
BattleBorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
If you're in the desert, you should be able to find a rust-free truck - I managed up here. I'd say the only reason to buy a truck that requires rust repair is if it's rare and desirable for some other reason (Cheyenne Super shortbox, etc). Otherwise your money is almost always better spent buying a better truck than it is repairing the rustier one.

Rust never sleeps, and unless you can do your own bodywork, it's expensive.

All in all, I agree with your father in law :-)
The reason for me looking at these trucks are because they are rather cheap. So I figured if the rust isn't that bad it would be worth it.
I have a friend that has done basic rust repair and would have him help me.

All the trucks online with no rust are pretty expensive and restored. Even some of the restored trucks have rusted rocker panels.

I was thinking it would be easy to find a rust free truck out here but they are harder to find than I though or like I said really expensive.

Thanks for the input! I'm not gonna rush into a purchase.
Old 11-18-2016, 04:11 PM   #6
raggedjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBorn View Post
I'm not gonna rush into a purchase.
Good thinking, the first Blazer I bought was the worst rusty, bondo'd piece of crap ever...

Good luck, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:07 PM   #7
Overdriven

This is a touchy subject as it depends on your tolerance and skill level. Given your location if it's anything more than replacing a rocker I'd keep looking. When the rocker looks like the white truck you also need to have a close look at where the floor meets the kick panel as it's probably in similar shape.

Regarding the drip rail. The drip rail has seam sealer in the bottom of it from the factory. The blue truck appears to have been repainted and the paint appears to have been applied over fracked seam sealer. You'd have to remove all that to truly gauge the condition underneath.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:14 PM   #8
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Take your time and be patient. I've been on this site since 2003 and am always learning something new about these trucks. You are in good spot to find a rust free truck. Craigslist and Ebay are good sources to find trucks. Try to find an original owner truck that someone hasn't changed things to suit them. You'd be better to keep saving money and wait to get a decent truck than find a 2/3/4000 truck and hope to get it finished and have 7/8000 totally invested, ain't gonna happen. You can always find help and advice ( and sometimes maybe more advice than you need lol) on this site.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:37 PM   #9
LongBox

Rust is expensive, there is no other way to put it. A repaired truck is always going to be harder to sell and/or cheaper than an original, rust-free truck, even though by the time you repair the rust, it costs more.

There ARE rust-free trucks out there. Patience, and being flexible are major assets in your search. Up here in Vancouver (think lots of rain), I found a truck with no rust, so you should find one where you live. Good luck.

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 11:27 PM   #10
Mollzyie

Bright side is longer u look the more money u can save and move up to another price bracket . That equals better quality trucks . I looked forever locally and local for me is awful . Way over priced .... Expand your searches and consider shipping .
Mollzyie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 12:12 AM   #11
HO455
Post Whore

[/QUOTE]Regarding the drip rail. The drip rail has seam sealer in the bottom of it from the factory. The blue truck appears to have been repainted and the paint appears to have been applied over fracked seam sealer. You'd have to remove all that to truly gauge the condition underneath.[/QUOTE]

That drip rail sealant is bad and the problem with that kind of failure is water runs through the seam between the roof and the door frame and then down inside the A pillar into the rocker area. The A pillar is a more difficult area to repair than just a door sill and is hard to stop when it has begun to rust in earnest. This link will show you a rusty truck at what most people feel feel is the upper limit of repair for a high value truck. If it was a 70 Dodge Daytona you wouldn't think twice about this much work.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=705214

If your goal is more toward driving the truck as opposed to the joy of rescuing a truck, then the less rust the better. This will put you on the road sooner. If your drawn toward the work involved with saving a truck then door sills and rocker panels are not deal breakers as long as you don't count your own labor into the cost of repair. These are fairly easy to replace on these trucks and there is lots of information on how to do it. The tools necessary are not out of the budget for most folks if you do your home work and shop for used tools.
You however can never get the cost of major rust repair back on these trucks. Don't forget to take your pesonal situation into account. Do you have the patience for this kind of work? Can you live with your mistakes? Is your family tolerate of the time that these kind of projects take? Do you have a place to work on the truck? These questions may provide you with the answer your looking for.

Having lived in Nevada in a previous life I know that you can find trucks sitting around if you get off the beaten path out of the cities. I found my 52 in Ely by walking in to a gas station on the edge of town and asking the owner if he knew where I could buy an old truck. Six hours later I had a $300 truck on the tow bar behind my 64 Galaxie and was headed home. There ended up being two thumb sized rust holes in the whole truck. Just getting the truck was an adventure in itself.
Good luck in your search and let us know how you do.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 11:37 PM   #12
BattleBorn

Thank you for all the responses and the insight. Valuable information. There is a really clean and complete roller locally with no rust(from what I can tell in the pics) I'm gonna check it out tomorrow. If I just have to drop a motor and go I will probably get it. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks again!
Old 11-20-2016, 12:39 AM   #13
del4fun

Buy a truck that you will enjoy, not hate to work on it!
del4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 02:48 AM   #14
BattleBorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by del4fun View Post
Buy a truck that you will enjoy, not hate to work on it!
Yeah.. Im gonna get clean body roller If I can't find a rust free runner. I like wrenching I don't enjoy body work.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:57 PM   #15
BattleBorn

Checked out the"clean" roller today. Everything was rust free except all the cab supports were pretty much rotted through. The search continues...
Old 11-21-2016, 09:26 AM   #16
gigamanx

I literally went through the same search a few months ago not knowing anything about pickup trucks and trying to find something local. I can already tell, 3 months into my own project, that I'm glad I listened to this forum and purchased a truck with far less rust than the ones I was looking at on my own. There are still some items like the rear cab corner and some replaceable components that are rusted. I ended up shipping a desert truck from Oklahoma to Pennsylvania for $850. The extra money was easily saved in the time and effort it would have taken me to "save" a PA truck. I am not without my own problems; the brakes were completely dry of fluid; the wiring is all but destroyed; and the interior was the home of a few critters for a while. All repairable problems with some elbow grease and a few parts orders online. Good luck and happy hunting.
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 01:14 PM   #17
BigBen702

Yup be patient and wait until you find something worth while. I'm in vegas also so if I see anything I will let you know.
BigBen702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 03:16 PM   #18
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

This ad is in the For Sale section now. The seller hasn't posted much since joining in 2012. Admittedly there is not a lot of info posted here, but on the plus side the truck is only an hour away from you. May be worth checking out.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...move-on&cat=12

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

Old 11-21-2016, 09:21 PM   #19
BattleBorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
This ad is in the For Sale section now. The seller hasn't posted much since joining in 2012. Admittedly there is not a lot of info posted here, but on the plus side the truck is only an hour away from you. May be worth checking out.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...move-on&cat=12
Right on! Thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-21-2016, 10:12 PM   #20
franken

Rust, even in the dry states is a fact of life. Maybe in AZ, or NV the rust hasn't poked through, its getting close.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 01:59 AM   #21
66clow

Take your time looking. There is new stuff on Craigslist every week. I'm in LA and drive 6 hours to Arizona for mine but had really good photos sent to me. If they won't send good photos leave it alone. I'd be more concerned with a truck with bubbled paint than seeing the rust. Bubbled paint is hiding a lot more. Be concerned about roof rust and front cab rust. Rockers and cab corners aren't bad. Also longbeds are pretty cheap. What you looking for and budget?
66clow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 02:38 AM   #22
BattleBorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66clow View Post
Take your time looking. There is new stuff on Craigslist every week. I'm in LA and drive 6 hours to Arizona for mine but had really good photos sent to me. If they won't send good photos leave it alone. I'd be more concerned with a truck with bubbled paint than seeing the rust. Bubbled paint is hiding a lot more. Be concerned about roof rust and front cab rust. Rockers and cab corners aren't bad. Also longbeds are pretty cheap. What you looking for and budget?
Haha.. Yeah man. Im on craigslist all the time looking for one. Im not super picky. I would take pretty much any color any year 67-72 c10. I prefer a stick transmission but thats not a deal breaker. I would like a inline 6 or small block v8 again not a deal breaker. Long beds, short beds, fleet or step its all good to me. Ill make it into what I want eventually. I have $4000 for the truck right now.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:15 PM   #23
Speedracer39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBorn View Post
Haha.. Yeah man. Im on craigslist all the time looking for one. Im not super picky. I would take pretty much any color any year 67-72 c10. I prefer a stick transmission but thats not a deal breaker. I would like a inline 6 or small block v8 again not a deal breaker. Long beds, short beds, fleet or step its all good to me. Ill make it into what I want eventually. I have $4000 for the truck right now.
We are in the same boat I'm looking for a 69-72 shortbed spending my free time constantly looking at Craigslist and eBay I'm in the Midwest and everything around here is rusty but I'll keep looking looking to speed 5-10
Posted via Mobile Device
Speedracer39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 02:42 PM   #24
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Here ya go, right in your back yard...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162286444052...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Old 11-24-2016, 12:10 AM   #25
Brando_Vanschoyck

I just bought my first 67-72 c10, it's not perfect but I have $50 in it and it's a 67 small window which is what I wanted. Also came with 2 brand new rockers to put in. I am a new welder/fabricator and bought this truck as something to try to save and fix with my own 2 hands. I'm the kind of guy who enjoys the journey rather than the destination. I also have a dad who builds racing engines and tons of friends who do metal fab/body work/paint etc. I guess it all boils down to how much money do you have or want to spend vs how much skill/time/or how many friends do you have that can help? Also how quickly do you want it to be on the road? Just another opinion from a regular old poor country boy trying to have a cool truck! Best of luck!!!
Brando_Vanschoyck is offline   Reply With Quote