The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2015, 10:31 AM   #26
sean1969c10

Re: What are the Airbags and Frame Mods doing to the future of these trucks?

I think what is important is to get them out and drive them. Personally I like the Day 2 look, my 69 is going to look like a typical late 70's early 80's pickup. I like my truck or old car to drive like and old car, but with a disc brake conversion for safety. I love the craftsmanship that go into the builds on here and there are guys on here with incredible skills and talent. If modernizing by adding air ride and injected LS engines makes it so more people get their old cars and trucks out and drive them then thats great because GM built them for us to drive.

"If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"

1960 Chevy Impala Sedan - my 25 year search is over!!
1969 C-10 longbed - Nice day DD
1970 Chevy Nova - Street and Strip Project
2002 Acura MDX my DD
2007 Honda Odssey - My Wife's "Mommy Van"
sean1969c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:03 PM   #27
tcrist

For me I guess it is just that I don't care for the slammed vehicles and sure don't care for the big wheels. But I am old and I like what I like.

As for the original question, I don't think that it is going to hurt anything. If anything it could actually raise the value of our trucks. It is a popularity thing.

Look at the $$ 67 & 68 Camaros are now. You used to be able to pick them up for next to nothing and then the rage of people fixing them up and doing stuff to them that in some eyes are completely insane (to me at least here on the west coast).

The value of these trucks are also going up. 10-12 years ago you could pick up a 67-72 SWB step side pickup in real good condition for under $3500-$5000. Now you can hardly touch one for under $8K-$12K.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:36 PM   #28
speesh

I noticed that a lot of these comments start with " I think....."
and that is the whole point of this hobby. There is enough trucks to do whatever we want with them.
The question was " how does it effect the prices?" I think it increases thE value because it makes people say " hey that looks cool, I want one"
Yes the prices are way up....have you priced hamburger lately? Everything is up.
In the final analysis, get your truck running and drive it because within a few years it will either be illegal or so "politically incorrect" that you will be afraid to drive it. I predict gangs of greens attacking old cars .......
speesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:57 PM   #29
jeffahart

My preference... Fast cars and Heavy Duty Trucks. I would rather look at my K20 than a souped up C10. I thought the mini truck craze was dead. I will buy all the short beds and re-stretch them back to long.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:11 PM   #30
CG
BlahBlahBlah

We all have the styles that turn our crank. On the one hand its nice to be able to see collections that people have of restored or stock cars and trucks, on the other hand when I see these collections I think man what a waste. Someone could be out enjoying these cars.

Im sure there is going to be a day in the distant? future? where these museum and just regular ol street cars wont even be allowed on the street if the googles and teslas of the world get their way and cars just drive by themselves.

Drive em because you love em, don't worry bout what others think. If you are worried about resale maybe you need to have a different hobby?

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:19 PM   #31
VeeTwin

In my humble opinion, I see these circus wheel / air bag/ lay frame trucks as just a fad that will ease by,and be worth 10-15 % of what they are now. I have been a biker for 30 years,and have seen it with the chopper fad. An $80k custom 250 tire choppper in 2005,can't hardly get $10k nowadays. Now I respect the builders of these trucks-cars-bikes greatly, but we all have seen things come and go. The "murdered out" look is on it's way out. So the next fad? Who knows? Ask the 20 something kid with his pants under his butt and hat on backwards.
Build what you like,and drive the hell out of it! We can never control what others will build.
VeeTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:54 PM   #32
SHILOW

IMO, you are far more likely to damage the frame of a truck by lifting it and going off-roading. Also, the diameter and weight of 33/12.50 mud tires is bigger than 22" rims with low profile tires. Besides that, these trucks were probably the most massively produce vehicles in history. The count is in the tens of millions.

Just my speculation but it is possible that there are far more people who want a truck with a custom frame than those who want a stock truck.

I'm Texas...there are trucks everywhere. The thought that modding a truck will deplete the numbers seems absurd.
SHILOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:05 PM   #33
RedRoad

the same discussion happened about early aircooled VWs about 10 years ago with the same opinions. Those out west said there were millions produced and that they are "everywhere". You can see the difference in price from east to west coast with the dismantlers making bank selling dry parts to the east coast. The export of old VW to europe really increased the price of these vehicles and I see a trend of trucks going overseas starting to develop.

Fast forward to 2015 and who would be guessing that nice examples of early stock sedans would be fetching $10K+ not to mention rare kabrios and real early cars going for $30K+ regularly. Lets not forget the humble VW bus, regular 50-55s going for $50-70K 56-67 $30K+ and the "window" deluxe buses hitting $100-200K!

It wont be long before these fad hack mobiles will be the only affordable option for younger folks getting into an old truck as is now the case for aircooled VWs.

The VW was considered a disposable vehicle trucks were not thought of that differently and usually worked to death. Add the value of scrap going to China many old vehicles were crushed a few years back. Survival rate of these vehicles is not that high and I would guess between 5-7%.

My advice, drive and enjoy while gas is cheap!
RedRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:31 PM   #34
SHILOW

I think the new generation of car enthusiast have formed there love of cars watching TV shows from the last 30yrs that focus on modifying vehicles. The older generations grew up building plastic replica models of their favorite cars.

Some vehicles are just more desirable when they have been modified.
IMO, I would take a hot rod 32' ford over a pristine stock straight from the factory all day long.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:50 PM   #35
derotoreut
Roto Reuter thats the name...

I have to say that I like both. I can appreciate an original stock truck, as well as the skill and effort put in to make a custom truck. Again, that's the fun thing about these trucks and to each their own. I may not like what some guys may have done to their truck, but I'm not going to bash it. It's just my opinion and who am I to say. I'm sure there are people out there that don't care for my projects and what I may have done. My 70 swb 4x4 is original except for a 2-1/2" lift and the tires on it. My 71 swb C10 will be custom chassis, lowered but not slammed, LS3 engine, rear mounted gas tank, blah, blah, blah. My point being that each person is entitled to do what they want to their truck, and it makes me happy that they are becoming a popular collectable. Cool topic and nice reading. This forum is the best.

1970 SWB Fleet K10 4X4, 5.3L LM7, 4L60E, Dakota Digital RTX, Vintage Air, Ididit tilt
1971 SWB Fleet C10 - Original SWB Arizona truck, new custom restoration project

"Kick out your motor and drive while you're still alive - kick it out!" - Heart 1977
derotoreut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:51 AM   #36
67 cst swb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Bags and notches can't change the future any more than Gassers did in the 60's or fuzzy thinking..
Good Point

Quote:
As for the 'depletion of good body cars' you need spend less time at your computer and get out more. .
Hey, How do you know how much time I spend at my computer.

Quote:
According to GM they sold a total of 268,922 first gen Camaros. There are so many here in Tucson you can't throw a rock without hitting one. Average price for a driver is 10K. Hardly the 'depleted' rare bird you are talking about.
I know where to go to buy Camaros to flip. Wholly crap!
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB originally a 327 TH400 3.73 Posi AC PS PB, had Buddy Buckets, Small Window - parts truck
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB, 283 MT 3.73 had Buddy Buckets, Panoramic Window - parts truck
2001 Chevrolet 3500 2WD Crew Cab Dually 8.1L Allison White
2002 Chevrolet 1500HD 4x4 Crew Cab 6.0L 4L80E Red
67 cst swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:57 AM   #37
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 cst swb View Post
I know where to go to buy Camaros to flip. Wholly crap!
I checked out craigslist for that area after I saw that and they are priced the same there as they are here. A piece of junk shell or cut up drag car for $10K. No drivers for less than $20K and not much of one for that.

If he can come up with some examples to back his claim I am on my way with a trailer to find me a good '67 or '69.

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:58 AM   #38
67 cst swb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Im sure there is going to be a day in the distant? future? where these museum and just regular ol street cars wont even be allowed on the street if the googles and teslas of the world get their way and cars just drive by themselves.
I see this totally from another viewpoint. That day might be kinda fun, to fly thru a moving slalom coarse... that slows down or moves for you if you get to close. Plus, Maybe there won't be all these idiot drivers hangin' out in the left lane on the interstate between Las Vegas and Los Angeles.
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB originally a 327 TH400 3.73 Posi AC PS PB, had Buddy Buckets, Small Window - parts truck
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB, 283 MT 3.73 had Buddy Buckets, Panoramic Window - parts truck

Last edited by 67 cst swb; 03-30-2015 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:04 AM   #39
SHILOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 cst swb View Post

Hey, How do you know how much time I spend at my computer.
Most people who post in car forums do so to show the work they have done to their vehicles. The people who keep there trucks stock don't post as much because the only modification they have done is with soap and water. Might as well post a pic of the brochure.

If you go by the ratio of modified trucks to stock trucks on the forum, it looks like everyone is slamming or lifting their truck.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:48 AM   #40
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHILOW View Post
Most people who post in car forums do so to show the work they have done to their vehicles. The people who keep there trucks stock don't post as much because the only modification they have done is with soap and water. Might as well post a pic of the brochure.

If you go by the ratio of modified trucks to stock trucks on the forum, it looks like everyone is slamming or lifting their truck.
Yes I modified my soap with water.... er... my water with soap wait... now I'm confused! What... speak up... I'm just and old buzzard... what do I know!
Old 03-30-2015, 10:53 AM   #41
simplepeddler

I have to say............it is great to see so many young folks wanting to wiegh in on these trucks..........

Immediately after getting my truck my 18 year old just went crazy wanting one...........
Fortunately I found a beater we are going to piece together for him.

I like to see the interpetations they have, but it's not for me.....
simplepeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:15 PM   #42
flashed

If Camaro's are as big a deal as what ya'll are posting I may have to talk my wife into one as I know of one in a basement for sale right now . And its a 67 I think I remember him saying ,might be able to flip it .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:52 PM   #43
67 cst swb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
Yes I modified my soap with water.... er... my water with soap wait... now I'm confused! What... speak up... I'm just and old buzzard... what do I know!
That's funny right there !!
Old 03-31-2015, 11:04 AM   #44
67 cst swb

I can appreciate any 67-72 GM truck, whether its stock, resto-mod or full blown custom.
But, what I tend to gravitate to more is a 3" or 4" static drop front and a 5" - 6" rear static drop with a stock height bed floor with no major modifications. One because its just real world drivable. Whether its to the local hangout or across country to a relatives graduation (or any other road trip). Plus, That way the nexy guy (If its ever sold) can change whatever they want without being stuck with "that huge C-notch" or Welded in Air-Bag mounts, etc... I am not saying that a C-notched raised Floor Air-Bag truck isn't cool. But I just kind of feel "personally" that a unmolested stock frame and body work done right is way cool.
I sometimes get the thought of building a way cool slammed truck, but my brain instantly goes to a full custom frame, with the stock frame still sitting out behind the garage. Why? no idea... just how I am wired I guess.
One of the coolest truck I ever saw (in a magazine) was a Silver Stepside. I think from Texas or photos from a Texas Car Show. It had stretched doors and modified stepside fenders. If I remember right, the guy was tall, like over 6'5" and stretched the cab for his comfort. But... I really thought that truck was done right. I will look for a pic. It was quite a few years ago.
EDIT: Found it. Sport Truck Aug 2004
http://www.sporttruck.com/featuredve...vy_c10_pickup/
Only thing I would change is the Wheels, I would keep a more stock Red interior and definitely a 67/68 Grille.

Last edited by 67 cst swb; 03-31-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:11 PM   #45
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

Twenty years ago, there seemed to be what was an endless supply of these trucks in junkyards, barns, empty fields etc. not so much anymore. Someone wanting to build one of these trucks nowadays is at a big disadvantage in comparison. Because of this we've all see the value of our trucks, and the parts that they're built from increase considerably just by this natural evolution.

Building a heavily modified truck is a expensive endeavor that can run up into the tens of thousands. Although not many end up with a custom truck that is worth more than their investment, I think this can only make the value of unmolested chassis, and coachwork higher. Those wanting to modify want a 'fresh palette", and those wanting something closer to original don't want to have to reverse the modifications of others.

How drive-able are these bagged trucks? Do the handling characteristics reflect the investment, or is it just an ego issue. I've never seen airbags on a true race car, and I sure don't see many of them actually on the road.

I admire the craft that's involved in contemporary chassis mods and high tech modern suspension and brakes, but I question the purpose. I'm a minimalist by nature, and prefer subtle changes that mostly affect performance, handling, and comfort, but that's just my personal taste.

All things considered, I don't think the current trends can do anything but inflate values.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:57 PM   #46
GRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHILOW View Post

Well said. My truck is pretty much as it was off the line, except for some paint, wiring, and mild engine work. Precisely why I bought it. And believe me. Took a long time to find it. Virtually every truck was hacked in some way. A crime how some of the frames were butchered. Not to say there isn't some great work out there. Because there definitely is. But some guys should be ashamed of what they have done in the name of profit.

People often mention popularity and such. Chop & drop is all the rage, for now. To which I say the same thing as always. It is a trend. And trends change. They always do. Using the car comparisons. Every sector has gone through their modification phase. Pre war cars and roof chops for instance. Now the ones which have not been modded are fetching the higher prices. I am old enough to remember some of the awful trendy things people did to their muscle cars back in the 70's and 80's. Most of those guys look back and lament.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:10 PM   #47
68shortwide

I think I found the topic for my hs research paper. This is a really good topic that hits all over the automotive world. Great responses.
1968 ShortWide
1969 ShortStep
68shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:12 PM   #48
Possmguts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwkns View Post
Twenty years ago, there seemed to be what was an endless supply of these trucks in junkyards, barns, empty fields etc. not so much anymore. Someone wanting to build one of these trucks nowadays is at a big disadvantage in comparison.
Have a friend out west right now showering junk yards and is sending back pics of tons of these body style and older trucks for miles it seams... there still out there in restore-able un-chopped un-lowered condition.... He brings a few home every once in a while.

67 Short Bed under major construction
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=651356&page=8
Possmguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:35 PM   #49
oldertruckfan

my .02 is that these trucks will continue to deplete, just as the vw did. they will become more scarce, like most of the early muscle cars in garages now, pampered and lost to the public eye. I figure 10 to 20 years from now you'll see one on the road and be delighted you even saw it. I'll keep mine kinda stock, its a 3/4 ton 4x4, but I will drive it. in the rain and the snow. That's why I bought it, to use it
oldertruckfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:01 PM   #50
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Most all fads fade away seen several in just my 32 years. I like my trucks old school, i tend to go the opposite of popular i do like the patina trucks shiny paint won't get ya home. i'm not laying frame and wanting big wheels i like steelies. I like the old carbed engines don't care what anyone says they are just as good as modern stuff they all get you there and they all break eventually plus the modern engine is sooo ugly. When scrap hit a big high over the last several years we lost alot of good stuff, but the aftermarket will fill in and there will be "kit" trucks to build like there doing now for the cameros and mustangs and earlier trucks.

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote