The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2015, 10:19 PM   #51
Eddie H.

Re: What are the Airbags and Frame Mods doing to the future of these trucks?

I've been a car/truck guy for 50 years or so and I've seen many trends come and go, then some even come back in style again. As far as prices go, who knows. I just wish I would have had the foresight to buy up a bunch of classic cars 30 years ago and put them in storage.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:10 AM   #52
67 cst swb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie H. View Post
I just wish I would have had the foresight to buy up a bunch of classic cars 30 years ago and put them in storage.
I hear ya there. I past up on quite a few 67-69 Camaros in the late 80's for under $1000 all because I am not a Camaro fan.
I had bought a 66 Nova when I lived in Dallas. Stripped the Glass, Chrome, Doors and Decklid then sold all that stuff. The car was already missing the motor, trans, interior and front clip.
But then we scrapped the Body. That rust free Texas body would be worth $1000's today. Not to mention I wouldn't mind having one now. Doh?!?!
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB originally a 327 TH400 3.73 Posi AC PS PB, had Buddy Buckets, Small Window - parts truck
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB, 283 MT 3.73 had Buddy Buckets, Panoramic Window - parts truck
2001 Chevrolet 3500 2WD Crew Cab Dually 8.1L Allison White
2002 Chevrolet 1500HD 4x4 Crew Cab 6.0L 4L80E Red
67 cst swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:42 PM   #53
boraxman
Keepin an eye out

My truck is bagged and on 20's but nothing has been cut...cant lay frame but its easy to reverse should I ever decide to go another route.

That said, I wouldn't want something that couldn't go back to stock if it was ever desired, to me that lowers value - I don't care how much much it cost or how nice it was done/
ZIP 91351
boraxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:06 PM   #54
mmiddle

Well, there is a risk of depleting the stock of good trucks. But as I see it, I am building my truck for me as a DD. I do not have any intention to sell the truck at any point. Nor am I building it to satisfy anyone but me. With that said, I do think it important to maintain the appearance of stock as much as possible while bringing the comfort, safety, and reliability up to modern standards. I do oddly have a problem with Resto-shops cranking mod-ed cars and trucks like a puppy mill.
2014 2SS/RS black on black Camaro (Betty)
2006 Pontiac SOLSTICE silver/black (Lula-Bell)
1970 C/10 Short Wide (Peggy)
1964 C/10 Short Step (Hambone)
RIP Jimmy Hamilton Thank you for the trucks
mmiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:58 PM   #55
67 cst swb

Quote:
Originally Posted by boraxman View Post
My truck is bagged and on 20's but nothing has been cut...cant lay frame but its easy to reverse should I ever decide to go another route.

That said, I wouldn't want something that couldn't go back to stock if it was ever desired, to me that lowers value - I don't care how much much it cost or how nice it was done/
Perfect. My exact way of thinking.
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB originally a 327 TH400 3.73 Posi AC PS PB, had Buddy Buckets, Small Window - parts truck
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB, 283 MT 3.73 had Buddy Buckets, Panoramic Window - parts truck
2001 Chevrolet 3500 2WD Crew Cab Dually 8.1L Allison White
2002 Chevrolet 1500HD 4x4 Crew Cab 6.0L 4L80E Red
67 cst swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:50 PM   #56
slowcpe

I've never been a big fan of cutting a rare vehicle up (SS, COPO, Yenko, etc) but vehicles that were built in the masses, I say do what you want. These trucks seem to be just about everywhere still and make great canvases for whatever an owner wants to do. As stated before, your options along with growing up with them have a lot to do with their current popularity.

Yesterday while driving to a neighboring city I saw 2 places that more than 3 c10s sitting out behind their barns. When working in small towns I almost always see an original one going down the road or sitting in a store parking lot. That's always a nice sight. These trucks are still readily available

I can appreciate both sides and really respect a well-kept or restored original trucks. In respect to value, I honestly feel the trucks are somewhat of an exception to the rule where as modified can be worth more than original. Of course the ones that would bring the higher prices would have to be done right using all the right parts. Hack-job builds with no documentation would more than likely not surpass original value. But a truck with PB, No-Limit, Scott's etc chassis, big brakes, LS/modern drivetrain, billet wheels, and original sheetmetal are very much in and people will pay for that. Of course those trucks will have a lot more money invested than an original restore so it would be difficult to compare.

Now take my truck for an example: Its pretty much a rust-bucket. Better shape than most in the rust-belt with little to no value. I highly doubt someone would take the time to restore this truck to its base model glory. Yes I'm notching the frame and replacing every crossmember for newer/better pieces but everything I'm replacing would need to thrown away anyways. I'm building the truck for me to drive and enjoy which is one of the reason I have such a hard time making decisions.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:04 PM   #57
terry b

Our trucks will never be worth all that much. I say cut them up the way you want. They are only trucks. Other than us knot heads on here no one gives a dam.
terry b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:16 PM   #58
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_John View Post
Trucks or camaros?
You even quoted the post and you still don't know? I said CAMAROs.

GM made more 1/2 ton C10's in just 1967 than the ENTIRE first Gen Camaro run starting in 1967 and ending in 1969. I also said "the depletion of good cars due to the Pro Touring Craze is just !!!! If there were less than 300,000 first Gen CAMARO's built and you can't throw a rock anywhere in southern Arizona without hitting one can you just imagine how many 1/2 ton C10's are here in the land of no rain, no snow, no salt and no rust? Just try crossing the street here in Tucson without looking and you'll get hit by a bakers dozen of them.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:09 PM   #59
mooseknuckles

as long as it's being saved from the crusher, I could care less about what mods are being done to them, restored, retro-mod, whatever the case may be...that goes for all old vehicles, cause once they're gone they're gone!
mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:06 PM   #60
tranz am

okay here's my thought on modifying frames or suspensions. my thought is that if it is done correctly and looks good it will preserve its value possibly even increase it. Although some guys are looking for bone stock trucks exactly how they came from the factory. in the eyes of these guys, anything other then stock will diminish the value. Other guys are looking for the exact opposite highly modified custom to their liking. it all depends on what the particular person wants as to what the trucks value is. Personally I don't care too much about preserving the stock appearance and ride that these trucks have. I would rather see upgrades to the original design with a more sporty and performance oriented configuration. some want a daily driver, some want a trailer queen, some want to play in the mud, some want to lay frame, and others want to haul azz and modify the living piss out of their trucks to get them there. To me highly modified street or performance oriented truck is very appealing.

Best 1/4 mile time 12.1 @ 111 w/traction issues

1969 GMC SWB
1964 chevy II Nova ht
tranz am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:23 PM   #61
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Just try crossing the street here in Tucson without looking and you'll get hit by a bakers dozen of them.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:52 PM   #62
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

I am surprised how many people here don't distinguish between the rarer configurations of these trucks when talking about how common they are or not valuable. The truth is factory original rarer trucks will always demand a premium. I think many of us here are of the modding persuasion and the pursist collectors are a quieter bunch but they are out there. There is a difference between a 68 327 50th anniversary CST truck compared to your typical janer. Its sad how we are the truck guys and many here don't appreciate our "RS Z/28"'s

67 GMC K1500 Custom- 305V6 SM420, PTO, Ram Assist, yellow (the outcast) (project period correct upgrades)
67 GMC C2500 351V6 TH400, AC, PS, PB (can't decide what to do with. Update, decided to keep and will restore )
86 CHV K30 502 th400, apple red NEW
71 CHV K20 350 SM465, ochre (saved work truck)
71 CHV K20 292 SM465, white, tach, PTO, (future project)
72 CHV K20 350 350th, medium blue (project stocker)
01 CHV K2500hd crew, indigo blue

^3 dont run and the others don't see winter either
'86 K30 Cummins "Fireside" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649649
'71 K20 "get driveable" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590642
'72 K20 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=493477&page=6
Vintage Windmills is offline   Reply With Quote