The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2024, 07:46 PM   #1
Rg500gamma

Reusable garage paint booth help

I would appreciate any help you pros/diyers" can give me on a garage paint booth setup
Questions:
What mil should I get and where to find it
Can I setup on a roll type system for up/down.
How much room needed around a fully assembled k20.
I do expect to break it down to cab. Doors fenders hood
Bed and engine/trans and transfer case.
Reasons for assembled work area.
Lastly I like Eastwood shop vac for my sanding.
Anyone else have good results using that. ?
Mike
Rg500gamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 10:25 PM   #2
LS short box

Re: Reusable garage paint booth help

Are you spraying a solid color or metallic? Solid color you could spray assembled but per my body shop friend its so much easier to get good coverage spraying panels apart.
Metallics should be sprayed assembled. Lot's of back taping.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 12:52 AM   #3
Rg500gamma

I'm restoring it back to 1 color red red that my dad and I drove it off the dealers lot in 72.I do want to do the parts like the hood doors cowl etc piece meal.. my 1st paint job
Rg500gamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 01:08 AM   #4
Fbks_Cruiser

Check this out at Fitzee’s Fabrications:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=RD...QdYdxOAh-gR4o2

Matt
Fbks_Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 09:23 AM   #5
Jason Banks

I used a pop up shelter for my roof/structure. I go a 10x20 shelter, that included fabric walls. The problem I found was, the fabric walls move too much. I suspect plastic might do the same?

I made walls from 4x8 sheets of single ply cardboard, which a box place near me sells for around $5 per sheet. I made a frame from 1x2 firring strips that I got from Home Depot that are up to $1.58 each.

By, made a frame, basically what I did was lay out the cardboard to the size and shape I wanted and then slid the wood under the edges and stapled the cardboard to the wood. Combined, they made a pretty decent structure.

The end walled ended up 10ft wide x 8ft high. I ran some firring strips vertical between the sheets like studs

There were areas that I needed something longer than 8ft, so I overlapped firring strips and used 1 inch finishing nails to splice them together.

When I was done, I threw al the cardboard and firring strips away.

I'll see if I can come up with some pictures.
Jason Banks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 09:26 AM   #6
Jason Banks

Here's one...
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2024, 09:29 AM   #7
Jason Banks

You asked about size. My 10x20 would not have been big enough for a fully assembled vehicle. 12ft width minimum. I did the bed fully assembled, but was able to roll it side to side as I was doing it. Thankfully I had help.
Old 01-24-2024, 11:28 AM   #8
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rg500gamma View Post
I would appreciate any help you pros/diyers" can give me on a garage paint booth setup
Questions:
What mil should I get and where to find it
Can I setup on a roll type system for up/down.
How much room needed around a fully assembled k20.
I do expect to break it down to cab. Doors fenders hood
Bed and engine/trans and transfer case.
Reasons for assembled work area.
Lastly I like Eastwood shop vac for my sanding.
Anyone else have good results using that. ?
Mike
I worked in Warwick for 10 years . I’ve been looking at one of these blow up type . I’ve built small booths for fenders ,doors etc .

On my build thread towards the end you will see the one I built https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...&postcount=150
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 03:12 PM   #9
damnyankee36

While I don't have any direct experience with the blow up types, here are my observations:

After several paint jobs, what do you do about the eventual accumulation of overspray on the clear plastic? If you want it to stay transparent, I suppose you could cover them with removable plastic.

Same with the floor. I've seen some cover the floor with plastic.

Contingency plans in the event of a power failure. The roof needs to be supported in case the fans die and it falls on the vehicle.

A friend used one and he wasn't impressed with the evacuation rate of the paint mist, especially the clear coat. I've seen options to add an additional fan. That might help.

I couldn't find a size big enough to fit an average sized vehicle and yet be small enough to fit in my bay.

For a quick setup and teardown assembly these extra steps and limitations just don't make it worth it to me.

I have a temporary booth made of 1 1/4" PVC and 1 1/2" chain link fence tubing for the frame and plastic sheeting. It was a bit involved to design the structure around the garage door tracks but it only takes a full weekend to setup. (It took a few weeks for the initial construction and setup). I use a typical sized bank of intake and exhaust filters and a 5HP, 3' diameter fan with a large plenum. Works beautifully.
Current Build: 1968 C10 (Semi-Factory Restoration)
damnyankee36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 05:43 PM   #10
LS short box

Maybe not for you but a local body shop painted parts for me one or two at a time. All were base coat clear coat solid colors. Materials are expensive so doing stuff twice gets expensive.
I would strip the body panels and take them to the body shop and they would epoxy prime them to keep flash rust away. Them I would store them away until body work time.
When all that was complete I again then body worked/block sanded each part as needed. Parts went back to the body shop for paint, wet sanding and buffing.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 06:11 PM   #11
Jason Banks

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnyankee36 View Post
While I don't have any direct experience with the blow up types, here are my observations:

After several paint jobs, what do you do about the eventual accumulation of overspray on the clear plastic? If you want it to stay transparent, I suppose you could cover them with removable plastic.

Same with the floor. I've seen some cover the floor with plastic.

Contingency plans in the event of a power failure. The roof needs to be supported in case the fans die and it falls on the vehicle.

A friend used one and he wasn't impressed with the evacuation rate of the paint mist, especially the clear coat. I've seen options to add an additional fan. That might help.

I couldn't find a size big enough to fit an average sized vehicle and yet be small enough to fit in my bay.

For a quick setup and teardown assembly these extra steps and limitations just don't make it worth it to me.

I have a temporary booth made of 1 1/4" PVC and 1 1/2" chain link fence tubing for the frame and plastic sheeting. It was a bit involved to design the structure around the garage door tracks but it only takes a full weekend to setup. (It took a few weeks for the initial construction and setup). I use a typical sized bank of intake and exhaust filters and a 5HP, 3' diameter fan with a large plenum. Works beautifully.

You are very right about the floor. Look at the floor in the picture I posted. I was using Southern Polyurethanes epoxy and it's very sticky.

I had paper/chipboard on the floor originally and you can see where it is all ripped up from sticking to my feet. After that experience I went and got cheap roll vinyl flooring and it worked much better.
Old 01-24-2024, 06:28 PM   #12
tutone

1 have a 12x21 metal carport on a concrete slab. I put 4 mil clear plastic. (10') and lay 2x4s on the roof edge. On the downwind side, usually north, I have two box fans blowing out and on the upwind side 2- 20"x30" hvac filters for incoming air. I spray the floor down and go at it. I'm going to fix it up again for painting my camaro. It takes about 2 hours to prep for work. Carport is in the background.
Attached Images

1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 06:30 PM   #13
HO455
Post Whore

You might take a stroll through these threads for information and inspiration.

http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.ph...aint-booth.15/
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote