The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: If you had the option, which of these grills would you use?
Original 66 painted grill 1 20.00%
64-66 C60 painted grill 2 40.00%
an original aluminum grill that needs to be restored 2 40.00%
the repo aluminum grill that is now available 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2014, 06:51 PM   #526
pdxhall

Re: pdx-sanity66

Modge, thanks for the pics. Yes, they were a lot of help. I didn't know if I was on the right track with this or not. It was good to see you had a very similar approach. I have been following you build for a while now and I wish I had the fabrication skills you do. I don't know how I missed the steering column work before. I did notice how you have moved the switches and I have been looking at that today to see it I will have to. I have the two brackets partially welded together and I was just digging out the switches to check.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:02 PM   #527
Modges'66

Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan, otherwise known as Beer City U.S.A.

Hey!
It makes me feel great to help out!
If you need any better views of anything, I can shoot some pics for you the next time that I am there, & post them for you!
Modges'66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:13 AM   #528
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modges'66 View Post
Hey!
It makes me feel great to help out!
If you need any better views of anything, I can shoot some pics for you the next time that I am there, & post them for you!
Thanks, man. I made some great progress today. It turned out better than I could have expected.
After much cutting and hacking and taking the column off and on more times than I could count, I got everything lined up in a workable spot (pics 1 and 2)This brings the wheel much closer to the dash, giving me much needed room (pic 3).
I then put a few quick spot welds where I could to hold the two brackets together so I could remove them and fill in the gaps (pic 4).
I then proceeded to cut and patch until I had everything sturdy and looking acceptable (pic 5).
continued......
Attached Images

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:23 AM   #529
pdxhall

The next 2 pics are the patch to fill in the hole left by removing the clutch bump stop and to build the support bracket joining the brackets on the left side.
Next I made a curved piece to support the right side of mounts together. This gives a little more room for the stop light switch.
One more small rectangular support for the right side.
The last pic is the completed bracket ready to clean up a little more and paint.
For something most will never see or notice, I like how it turned out.
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2014, 08:10 AM   #530
bj383ss

Great job PDX. A nice custom touch!

Bret
Old 10-17-2014, 08:39 AM   #531
ol_skool_chevy

Very nice work...........I wish i had that much patients to cut fit weld cut again fit weld...LOL..

Built it yourself, don't count on others to to do it for you or with you. It will never get done
ol_skool_chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:41 AM   #532
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj383ss View Post
Great job PDX. A nice custom touch!

Bret
Thanks Bret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol_skool_chevy View Post
Very nice work...........I wish i had that much patients to cut fit weld cut again fit weld...LOL..
I'll tell ya, after the 10th or 20th time I installed and removed the column to make it all fit, I had pretty much used up all the patience I had.

I also got the rest of the 3/8" SS hard line from the tank to the fuel pump bent and installed and clamped in to place. All I need now is to fit the Aeroquip -6an line from the rear fuel filter to the tank, from the SS line to the pump in the front, and from the pump to the carb filter and th fuel lines will be done. I've got the material and fittings, hopefully next weekend I'll be done with it.

I also went ahead and bought the American Autowire Classic Update complete wiring set from Summit and it arrived 2 days later, as usual. The delivery service from them is fantastic.

I also bought a set of bed steps from a member in the "parts for sale" section and they arrived too. I've got an idea for them. I'd like to modify them so as to use them for the exhaust to exit the truck.
What I'd like to know is if anybody has done it or knows somebody on the board that has?

Old 10-30-2014, 10:53 PM   #533
pdxhall

I decided it was time to finish up the fuel tank installation since I've now got the fuel line plumbed to there and I'm getting real tired of moving the tank around every time I need to do something. It seems like it's always in the way.
Part of my reason for procrastination on this is I have been looking for a suitable rubber strip to pad the tank from the frame and mounts. I'm just trying to eliminate metal on metal rubbing and possible squeaks from developing. I finally found something that I thought would have to do but it still wasn't quite as thick as I was envisioning so I procrastinated longer. I also planned to make some steel mounts with bolts welded to them for ease of assembly and disassembly if ever needed. Well, the other day I was in my favorite and best around hardware store Parkrose Hardware. These guys have the best selection of fasteners I've ever seen. I have yet to go there and not be able to find what I'm looking for. Anyway, I was in there looking for some rubber padding for a home project I was working on and I had looked all over the area with seals and weather stripping and stuff and had no luck. Parkrose Hardware is also a very dog friendly store so my dog, Spike gets to go along with me and gets a dog treat at the service desk at the back of the store.
When we got back there he spotted one of the guys that works there and always makes a fuss over him when we see him. Spike ran over to him and I happened to look down and on a shelf was all this different sized rubber mat for sale. It is exactly what I was looking for to do both projects. Sometimes you run in to what you need in the craziest ways. Spike was the hero.

So here's the end result. All the mounts made, pads cut and fitted, holes drilled, and everything test fitted one more time before tearing it all apart for paint.
I also made a mount out of a piece of aluminum for the fuel filter to make it easier to remove if I ever need to remove the whole filter housing.
Attached Images

Old 10-31-2014, 08:24 PM   #534
duallyjams

That's a 16 gallon tank ? got a pic of the front with the sending unit with the panhard bar.

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 04:36 AM   #535
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by duallyjams View Post
That's a 16 gallon tank ? got a pic of the front with the sending unit with the panhard bar.
Hey Jim, Yes it's a 16 gal tank. Sorry but I don't have a picture of that. I just ordered the sending unit so it hasn't been installed yet. I can't take another picture because I took the tank back off to prep for painting today. I did go out and got a rough measurement based on the mounting holes for the tank in relation to the panhard bar and there is about 10 to 12 inches of space between the panhard bar and the opening for the sending unit. I'll have more pictures when I assemble again.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:09 AM   #536
pdxhall

I got the tank taken back off and I cleaned up all of the holes I drilled. and started prepping the tank and mounts for painting. I am also going to put another coat of extreme chassis black on the rear frame rails where the tank mounts. They've got kind of beat up during fitting the tank and I also want to cover the bare metal on the new holes I drilled. I also have several parts together that need to be bead blasted and prepped for paint from the tilt column and I got a great deal on a NOS bearing/tilt gear kit on ebay for $10 shipped.
I also got the hole cut in the trans hump for my Lokar shifter. I am using a rectangular boot so I cut a 4"x5 1/4" hole which gives me 2 options for mounting the shifter. I'll post up a picture when I get time.
Next up will be
1) get the gas tank and parts painted and reassembled and new sending unit and fuel line from the filter to the tank installed.
2) overhaul the steering column
3) get the intermediate steering shaft measured, lengthened, and installed
4) seam seal the interior panels

Old 11-03-2014, 12:17 AM   #537
pdxhall

One more thing, here are the side steps I got recently. I want to use them for exiting the exhaust on Sanity. Has anybody done this or know of somebody that has?
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #538
duallyjams

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
One more thing, here are the side steps I got recently. I want to use them for exiting the exhaust on Sanity. Has anybody done this or know of somebody that has?
That's a cool idea, looking forward to see how you do it.

65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto

IG duallyjams

Old 11-03-2014, 11:40 PM   #540
Average Joe

What he said ^

An Average Joe and His 'Burb:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775843
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:14 PM   #541
siggyfreud

Tank looks great!

When I installed mine I went ahead and welded the retaining nuts that hold the tank in to the frame, that way I wouldn't have to do the wrench/ratchet combo to remove the tank, I could just drop it from under the truck via a ratchet. But mine also mounts to the bottom frame rail, so no sure how you'd get a ratchet inside the top frame rail if the tank is too thick. Either way I'm sure you have it all worked out!
siggyfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:47 PM   #542
ol_skool_chevy

I was thinking about the side holes for exhaust but I might be pretty loud..

Built it yourself, don't count on others to to do it for you or with you. It will never get done
ol_skool_chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:58 AM   #543
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol_skool_chevy View Post
I was thinking about the side holes for exhaust but I might be pretty loud..
Loud? I'm building a hot rod here, not a family sedan.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:08 AM   #544
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggyfreud View Post
Tank looks great!

When I installed mine I went ahead and welded the retaining nuts that hold the tank in to the frame, that way I wouldn't have to do the wrench/ratchet combo to remove the tank, I could just drop it from under the truck via a ratchet. But mine also mounts to the bottom frame rail, so no sure how you'd get a ratchet inside the top frame rail if the tank is too thick. Either way I'm sure you have it all worked out!
With the tank bolted to the inside of the top rail, I have the 2 brackets about 2 ft. or so long with the 4 bolts welded to each of those with the rubber cusions in between the frame and tank, and in between the tank and the brackets. I can just slide the assembly in, raise it up till the bolts come through the frame rails and then just add washers and a nuts. To take the tank out, I just take the nuts off, remove the rear brace, lower the tank and slide it out the back. It works real slick.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:32 PM   #545
pdxhall

Quote:
That's a cool idea, looking forward to see how you do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
Can't wait to see the exhaust/steps come together!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
What he said ^
Thanks you guys, it might be a while before I actually make it happen but if what I'm seeing in my head transfers well into reality it should be cool.

I had a bunch of stuff going on this weekend in preparation for retirement at the end of the year so I didn't get as much done as I had hoped. I did get some parts for the steering column and fuel tank bead blasted and epoxy primered and the tank itself sanded and epoxyed. and I ordered the paint for the tank and also the fuel sender. I should be able to get it back together next weekend.
I disassembled the steering column to the point I could inspect it, clean it up a bit, and replace the bearings. Everything looks very good so it won't need to be completely torn down. I also tore apart the original 3 speed column to get the firewall plate and the steering shaft off. I think I will be able to cut the shaft to length and connect it to the column with a u-joint. More to come on this one.
Now it's back to work for 3 12 hour shifts and then back at it.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:11 PM   #546
duallyjams

Congrats on your retirement and to your new endeavour as a full time truck builder.

65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto

IG duallyjams

Old 11-12-2014, 09:23 AM   #547
pdxhall

Quote:
Congrats on your retirement and to your new endeavour as a full time truck builder.
Thanks, man. I'll only be a full time builder for a couple of months after the
1st of the year, then we're going to be traveling around North America for a while seeing and doing all the things we have planned and some we haven't. This has been our dream long before I got the truck so even though it will be difficult to leave Sanity, she will go into storage for a bit. But when we get back I'll be a full timer and maybe pick up something else to mess around with.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:47 PM   #548
duallyjams

Every trip that the we go on my lovely bride has the same comment sooooooo there just happen to be a car show the same time that we are here

65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto

IG duallyjams

Old 11-12-2014, 10:09 PM   #549
Modges'66

Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan, otherwise known as Beer City U.S.A.

Wow!
The column support & the tank mounting look great!
Also, it is pretty great that you are so close to retirement...Unless something major changes, I won't even be able to think about it for another 20 years or so! Congrats!
Modges'66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:44 AM   #550
66Z71

Love the exhaust idea.
"Always try to make the best part you can with the skills you have. If it isn't good enough throw it away and make another. Every time you make a part your skill will increase and you'll make a better part than you were capable of making before." Lil John Buttera
66Z71 is offline   Reply With Quote