The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #276
Rust Buster

Re: 72 K20 build thread, need good name

BUGS4121, sorry I missed your post, but to answer your question, there was no spacers installed. I don't know what the rims were, as they were on the truck when I bought it in 2006.

stravis46, Thanks! I am getting close to getting back to work, hopefully this fall. The only think standing in my way is a new bathroom I am putting in and then building all new kitchen cabinets. Then it is garage time! I will try to take some pics of the garage this weekend. Finally have the project truck in there and it is begging for some attention.
71 K10 LWB
52 Dodge Power Wagon
67 Dodge WM300 Power Wagon
48 Dodge WDX Power Wagon

My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=239487
Rust Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:57 PM   #277
six8burban

Posted via Mobile Device
Awesome work!
Posted via Mobile Device
six8burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:01 PM   #278
Rust Buster

Just read through my whole build to get some motivation! Well the kitchen is almost done, so my 3 year hiatus is coming to an end and maybe I can continue my build in the next couple of months. I almost cry when I see it sitting so lonely out in the garage. Since my last post, I acquired two more beasts...a 1948 Dodge power wagon with a rare rear PTO with pulley to run sawmills and such, and a 1998 Terex (Fermec) backhoe to help with all the earth moving I have to do outside... way too much stuff to do and never enough time to do it!
71 K10 LWB
52 Dodge Power Wagon
48 Dodge WDX Power Wagon

My Build Thread
Old 05-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #279
watahyahknow

if you fit some tractor tires on the dodge you prolly be able to do the earth moving with that monster

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #280
Rust Buster

Thank you, and that's a nice looking truck you have there!
As for the dollies, I've bought a few different kinds and have learned that you pretty much get what you pay for. Surprisingly, the best set I've gotten so far are the ones from LMC truck. The bugger the size of the caster wheels, the better and easier to roll around. Many have 2" tall or less wheels and I find them pretty hard to move around.
71 K10 LWB
52 Dodge Power Wagon
48 Dodge WDX Power Wagon

My Build Thread
Old 06-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #281
watahyahknow

i have these :
http://www.etoolcart.com/go-jack-veh...k-GOJ6200.aspx
you dont have to lift the truck on them you slide them under and press them together with the pedal , you do need room on both sides to slide them under and lift them . once the truck is at the whall you have no way to get them out from under the truck on that side

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
Old 12-28-2012, 08:50 PM   #282
Rust Buster

Getting very close to being able to work on this again. New shop is just about done and set up for work. I can'tw ait...been too long!
71 K10 LWB
52 Dodge Power Wagon
48 Dodge WDX Power Wagon

My Build Thread
Old 04-27-2014, 09:18 AM   #283
cmabolt

This was one of the first builds I read before getting into my project. Very inspirational. Looks like it's stalled though. Nice truck and hope you can get back to it one day.

Chris
Old 04-27-2014, 07:50 PM   #284
Rust Buster

Thank you for the kind words! It has been too long, believe me. I moved, separated from active duty, got married, built a shop, and renovated a house. I am now at the stage where I am organizing the shop and getting ready to tear back into it. II also bought a couple of other project trucks and installed a lift, so I am very much looking forward to putting that to use.
It's been so long that I am starting to second guess some of the plans I had for it...
I hope to get back into it late summer/early fall.
71 K10 LWB
52 Dodge Power Wagon
48 Dodge WDX Power Wagon

My Build Thread
Old 06-27-2014, 12:46 PM   #285
Rust Buster

Ok guys, I have reached a crossroads and want to get some opinions. A lot has happened since I started this build. When I started, I was working out of a 20x20 garage in a home I was renting with limited space, tools, and of course time and funding. Well since then I have gotten married, separated from active duty (joined the reserves), bought a house in the country, and built a 30x40 shop.

When I started this build, the idea was to create a powerful daily driver truck that I would use all the time including towing. Well, I have come to the conclusion that I enjoy the utility, convenience, and safety of modern day trucks, especially for my towing needs. I like having airbags, anti-lock brakes, stouter frames, extended cabs and all the other bells and whistles that go with the newer trucks.

With that being said, what do I do with this build? I have tons of brand new parts for this thing, most of which were never installed. I have the drivetrain which hasn't even been started...If I complete the project as originally planned, I'd have a killer truck that I just wouldn't use as much as I should, and if I sold it, I'd never get anywhere close to my money back.

So here's my plan: I am going to take virtually everything I bought for the truck and put it in my 71 K5 Blazer which I am itching to do a complete nut/bolt restoration on. I think the fuel injected 383 and NV4500 will be a good transplant. The only thing that won't be applicable to the blazer is the new 14-bolt full floater. I have a Dana 60 I was going to put in the blazer. Do any of you think the 14 bolt would be better? It seems a bit overkill to me. The Blazer would be more fun for a family than a standard cab pickup.

So that's where my head is at but I want to here others' opinions. I would then rebuild the truck as well, just not as extravagant and sell it.

Talk me into or out of this please.
71 K10 LWB
52 Dodge Power Wagon
48 Dodge WDX Power Wagon

My Build Thread
Old 06-27-2014, 01:52 PM   #286
watahyahknow

whell you could put that stuff in the blazer like you mentioned then find a modern donortruck and fit the body on the newer shortened or lenghtened chassis of said donortruck
that way you have the best of both worlds the abs tractioncontroll fuelmilage comfortable ride of a modern truck and the looks of a classic truck
depending on the state of the sheetmetal and the price of a donortruck it could turn out a resonably cheap solution and a good way to show youre fabricationskills

i seen that done a few times :

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/featur..._in_the_black/

Last edited by watahyahknow; 06-27-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:36 PM   #287
msgross

Long time no see!

I'll be over to pick up your forgotten project, then maybe my forgotten project will be back on track!

No such thing as "overkill" so build what you want... Get the other back together and sell for a decent price...

good luck
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:09 AM   #288
Rust Buster

Mike! What happened to us? We were betting to see who'd finish our projects first, now we have been overtaken by life! Yeah, I'm torn on what to do. You going to Carlisle?
71 K10 LWB
52 Dodge Power Wagon
48 Dodge WDX Power Wagon

My Build Thread
Old 06-29-2014, 11:37 AM   #289
cmabolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Buster View Post
Ok guys, I have reached a crossroads and want to get some opinions. A lot has happened since I started this build. When I started, I was working out of a 20x20 garage in a home I was renting with limited space, tools, and of course time and funding. Well since then I have gotten married, separated from active duty (joined the reserves), bought a house in the country, and built a 30x40 shop.

When I started this build, the idea was to create a powerful daily driver truck that I would use all the time including towing. Well, I have come to the conclusion that I enjoy the utility, convenience, and safety of modern day trucks, especially for my towing needs. I like having airbags, anti-lock brakes, stouter frames, extended cabs and all the other bells and whistles that go with the newer trucks.

With that being said, what do I do with this build? I have tons of brand new parts for this thing, most of which were never installed. I have the drivetrain which hasn't even been started...If I complete the project as originally planned, I'd have a killer truck that I just wouldn't use as much as I should, and if I sold it, I'd never get anywhere close to my money back.

So here's my plan: I am going to take virtually everything I bought for the truck and put it in my 71 K5 Blazer which I am itching to do a complete nut/bolt restoration on. I think the fuel injected 383 and NV4500 will be a good transplant. The only thing that won't be applicable to the blazer is the new 14-bolt full floater. I have a Dana 60 I was going to put in the blazer. Do any of you think the 14 bolt would be better? It seems a bit overkill to me. The Blazer would be more fun for a family than a standard cab pickup.

So that's where my head is at but I want to here others' opinions. I would then rebuild the truck as well, just not as extravagant and sell it.

Talk me into or out of this please.
Well, I would keep the dana 60 for the blazer which should be a direct bolt in with no mods and go automatic instead of stick on the blazer. Sell the NV4500 setup to me and the rest of your truck at carlisle at a premium.
JMO. Or, you could just finish what you started and sell at carlisle to use the funds for Blazer.
Chris
Old 06-29-2014, 11:53 AM   #290
ThreeQtr

Cool Re: 72 K20 build thread, need good name

How about doing something like this guy did.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/features/...assaged-metal/

Wonder if the build is on this forum(?).

Ideas from the forum
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=426382

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=623193

Last edited by ThreeQtr; 06-29-2014 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Added links
ThreeQtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:13 PM   #291
watahyahknow

i"ve seen it done on an episode of trucks! too (spike powerblock network)

Old 06-29-2014, 09:02 PM   #292
Rust Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmabolt View Post
Well, I would keep the dana 60 for the blazer which should be a direct bolt in with no mods and go automatic instead of stick on the blazer. Sell the NV4500 setup to me and the rest of your truck at carlisle at a premium.
JMO. Or, you could just finish what you started and sell at carlisle to use the funds for Blazer.
Chris
I hate automatics, especially in an old Blazer, so that is out of the question!

I guess I need to think about finishing the truck or at least putting it together in one way or another or selling as an incomplete project. I'm leaning towards building it, just not as grand as originally wanted it.
71 K10 LWB
52 Dodge Power Wagon
48 Dodge WDX Power Wagon

My Build Thread
Old 07-04-2014, 09:11 AM   #293
msgross

I'll be hitting Carlisle, looking for a rust free set of doors...

I'm building a 2nd garage next week so the project will move out there, I spent last year in Afghanistan, 2 years before that in the new job prepping... I'm back in the schoolhouse now so "maybe" I can find a little bit of free time to tinker. However, 3 kids and other household projects are always on the honey do list...

Old 07-04-2014, 01:44 PM   #294
Rust Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgross View Post
I'll be hitting Carlisle, looking for a rust free set of doors...

I'm building a 2nd garage next week so the project will move out there, I spent last year in Afghanistan, 2 years before that in the new job prepping... I'm back in the schoolhouse now so "maybe" I can find a little bit of free time to tinker. However, 3 kids and other household projects are always on the honey do list...
Awesome new s on the garage! I don't know how I got anything done before in a small 2-stall. I only wish I had gone bigger on the one I built. Are you still set on the direction of your truck build or are you going through what I'm going through?
71 K10 LWB
52 Dodge Power Wagon
48 Dodge WDX Power Wagon

My Build Thread
Old 07-04-2014, 06:12 PM   #295
msgross

I'ts pretty set... I have 90% of the parts that I need... just need the body work and time...

Let me know before you part anything out.