The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 60-66 Suburbans

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #151
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Re: SiX-fo SuBuRbAn

Great work Jon! Glad to see the body is back on. Crazy skills you have patching up those windshield pillars! Jealous here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:58 AM   #152
Dinos63
chevy only

killer work jon and you have done a ton of it
Old 03-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #153
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

thanks for the comments!
spent a couple days messing with the wiring harness.. the stock one was a warning light harness, and I put it back in.... then I did some research and found out it was completely different than a gauge harness.... so I pulled it out, and went searching in the yard for a good gauge harness, and then installed that.

putting this link in so I can set up this harness with the 73-87 bbc internally regulated alternator:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=571082
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #154
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

started on the shifters:
my 64 gmc had an auto floor shifter installed on its high hump, so I decided to pirate it for this project, the transfer case shifter is out of the 87 sub.
the auto shifter turns out to be out of a 64-77 mustang (at least it is period correct!) I didn't care for the look of the housing, and the 87 4X4 selector housing is a bit plastic and bulky looking as well... so I stopped by auto zone and bought a generic 6X7 inch shift boot, they only had one, so when they restock I will get one for the 4X4 shifter too.
the 4X4 shift rod was hitting the floor brace, so I just switched it the other way...
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2013, 09:50 AM   #155
piratexpress1369a

looks much better with the boot cover

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post5457281
piratexpress1369a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #156
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

I had to change both of the shift linkages, the 4X4 needed to be 1 inch longer, and the AT needed to be 2 inches shorter......

Got the hump and shifters all bolted down... On the 4X4 shifter added 1 more bolt to the top plate, because my floor hole was a little big on the corner.. I guess the shift gate is hardened steel, because I could not drill through it.. I had to notch it with the cut off wheel.Then I trimmed off all the old plastic boot bracketry.

Got the shift boots mounted, I might need to put a little lock collar under the boot, if they are pushed all the way down, the rubber jams up and you can't get all the gears, if they are pulled up to the spot that I have them in the pic they shift fine.

I wasn't 100% happy with how the retainer rings looked after I bent them around the contour of the floor, I might just shoot them satin black , so they don't reflect the bends as much.
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2013, 07:17 PM   #157
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

On to the brakes... I went with the hydro-vac system out of the blazer; mainly because it was already set up with the power steering pump for the bbc, and it all worked. I also like the look a little better without that big booster.

The hydro-vac unit uses two studs that come through the firewall, I just drilled out the original 60-66 threaded holes for them to go through. Then I drilled two more holes for the lower mounts.

The steering/hydro-vac pressure line will have to route through the inner fender, you can see the circle where I will have to punch a hole for it. the return line should fit in between the fenderwell and frame.

The brake rod ended up being about an inch short of the hole for the 60-66. Since the rod does not come off the hydro-vac unit I just cut the mount off the blazer brake pedal, and welded it to the 64 brake pedal.
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2013, 05:39 PM   #158
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

I think I thought about how to do the steering way more than it took to do it! Easy job.

I cut the end off the 88 sub collapsible shaft, then cut the end and about 2 inches off the 64 column, inserted it in the 88, welded it, and drilled a hole for a bolt, just to play it safe.

I had to trim the column mount to clear the brake booster, and square up a washer, but it all fit.

I was going to go through the trouble to change everything over to a white 64 standard shift (floor) column, then got to looking , and decided that I prefer the fawn 65 column and standard wheel over the white 64, or the 66, or either of the deluxe wheels.
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #159
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

throttle linkage is in, was super easy, only thing I had to do was clean up the threads and drill a hole in the carb for the old style fitting.

dug through the bracket box and found a couple to support the power steering pump reservoir.

I put the fenderwell back on and did some bending, and was able to get the pressure hose for the hydro-vac unit to fit around the fenderwell instead of through it.
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2013, 05:33 PM   #160
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

welded up some holes in the dash, and fixed a couple panic stop dents along the front edge.

got the rh post filled and primed.

I ended up having to cut a portion of the lh post back out and weld a new patch in, there was a high spot -probably from the roll-over that I couldn't chase with the filler. it is straight now.
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #161
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

I put the door on and adjusted it so I could fit the rocker.

I had a friend pick up some rockers for me from the Filling Station at the portland swap meet.

they fit, but not perfect, you can see most of the issues are in the corners.

I finally welded up the lower part of the rear post.
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #162
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

so, I drilled a bunch of holes and got out the B.F.H. and the welder and started massaging it in place.

by bending the top inch of the inner lip flat on each end I was able to get it to suck in a little bit tighter, not as perfect as stock in the corners, but it will work.

the center fit pretty nice

around the front part of the hinge the fitment was poor. I took turns welding (and heating the metal) and then smacking it in place with the hammer, after that it came out ok.

the whole lower edge hangs about a 1/4 inch low; body-wise it all lines up with the fender and rear rocker, but there would be no way to plug/spot weld it to the inner rocker, so I just welded the bottom of the inner rocker to the cent of the bottom lip on the inside.

you can see in the pic how the bottom rocker angles down a little bit compared to the rear 1/4 panel, I think the stock ones were a little more flat underneth , and I think this accounts for the 1/4 inch that the bottom lip was off.
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #163
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

the door and rocker fit nice now.

I am going to use a 61 radiator since I took out the 63-66 style radiator mount.
the lower hose went right into the 73-87 front crossmember that I used , so I put in a notch for it.
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #164
piratexpress1369a

nice job ..stay on it

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post5457281
piratexpress1369a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #165
SFTorange

Looking good!
Old 04-28-2013, 07:31 PM   #166
DaBeast65

Very Nice!
DaBeast65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:35 PM   #167
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

been going slow as of late, got the dash painted , heater installed, and the gauge cluster and glove box installed.

found a 100 inch speedo cable at napa/parts plus for $20 that will hook the 64 speedo (5/8 thread) to the 88 transfer case (7/8 thread).
some pics soon.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:24 PM   #168
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

modified the 88 sub fuel filler to work on this sub, cut it in 2 places and used some new fuel filler hose to make it a little longer and straighter to fit to the 64 body.
fabbed up a bracket to bolt the top of the filler to the 64& 88 mounting points.

doing lots of other little stuff, routed the trans cooling lines to an external cooler , mounted up the front axle vent hose.
Changed the thermostat housing to a earlier 60's/70's style that points forward instead of to the side.
Was able to cut down a lower 64 hose for the rad. and it fit, found a generic upper hose in the shed that fit.
I used the link from a few posts back, and hooked the original wiring harness to the 87's alternator.
I used 3 wires out of the ignition harness, purple to the start of the starter, black to the pos. terminal of the starter, and green to the temp gauge.
I put a 12 gauge wire from the hei to the hot (ignition/on) terminal on the fuse block.
Hooked up the original choke to the edelbrock carb that was on the motor when I got it, also bent up some steel line to go from the fuel pump to the carb.
fenderwells and rad support are mounted.
A friend of mine gave me a set of dodge camper special wheels, they are 10 inches wide and 16.5's, they have 33X12.50's on them now, and look just right.

all for now, I keep forgetting to bring the camera, so no new pics just yet...
Old 07-19-2013, 12:45 AM   #169
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Good to hear you're making progress Jon
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:14 PM   #170
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

more recent pics:
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2013, 11:02 PM   #171
SFTorange

Getting closer! Great work Jon!
Old 08-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #172
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

the windshield gasket is fighting me!!
almost ready to pay someone to do it, and this is just trying to get the gasket on the glass.... haven't even got it up in the body yet....

btw chrome trim on the gasket then the gasket on the glass, or gasket first, then the trim in???

before I gave up today, I started to put the trim in the gasket, and then put it on the glass, and that seemed the easier way.....

I did get the gasket all the way around the glass and started to put the trim on, and the gasket fell off
Old 08-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #173
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

...looking at some old threads, and I am seeing conflicting info, 1 even from me saying to install the trim first, and one from lilred66 saying to do the trim second.... I must have read about installing the trim in the gasket first, or I wouldn't have posted it that way....now just
Old 08-11-2013, 04:42 PM   #174
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

previous pics the correct size... could not edit the old post, so just re-post....
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2013, 09:52 PM   #175
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

I got the 86 blazer seat mounted in the rear ( a lot more work than that statement lets on!!)
bolted the front hinge through the floor, then cut out the rear latch mounts out of the suburban, and cut and trimmed them and the floor to fit. used the seat belts out of the blazer, and the mounts from the sub (they weren't as rusty, and had a cap over the bolt hole.)
the seat fits real nice and is comfortable.
Attached Images