The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2014, 02:18 AM   #1
Johnny_Lamebridge

My '63 C10 "I'd rather be driving" Project

Hey Guys!

I've been a member here for a few months now, and I've been encouraged to start a build thread. So here goes...

I'd been looking at 60-66 C10's for a few years, but never got too close to actually making a purchase. As time passed, I decided that I really wanted a 63 because that was the year I was born. Last winter, I guess I got tired of waiting and I finally took the plunge.

I'd been watching a few C10's on ebay, and as it turned out there was one in Florida where my wife and I were heading to on vacation. I was watching NASCAR on a sunday afternoon, and my wife walked in. I showed her the auction and I asked her, "What do you think of this one?" She answered "It looks good, you should bid on it". I buy stuff on ebay all the time, but nothing as big-ticket as a vehicle... and I know its not a good idea to buy a vehicle sight unseen. It hadn't met the reserve yet, so for fun, I just bid it up to the next increment figuring that I wouldn't top the previous bidder. Well guess what? I was the high-bidder, and I'd met the reserve! Still, I figured it was no big deal... I'd get outbid by the end of the auction. Uh nope. Later that night when the auction ended... I'd bought it!

Holy crap, now what? I waited until my 3 daughters were out of earshot, then showed my wife the ebay auction again. She looked at it and said, " yeah I saw that truck already". It took a few seconds before she noticed the "you won this auction" across the page. When she clued-in... she started to laugh hysterically. I was stressing about payment and getting it home to Canada, and she just thought it was funny. Needless to say, she's the spender in the family!

We'd planned a few days in Panama City Beach (for the wife), then over to Bikeweek in Daytona (for me), then stop at Bristol Motor Speeday for the NASCAR race on the way home. In between, we picked up the truck. My plan was to pick up the truck, slap a temp tag on it, then drive it partway home, and store it until our streets were clear of slush and road salt. I was really worried about what the C10 was going to look like in person. I had convinced myself that I'd paid too much. When I finally saw it, I was kinda relieved. It didn't look too bad. Amateur body and paint, but the truck seemed really solid. The PO had the paperwork ready for me... and we headed off to the DMV.

Problem 1. I arranged temporary (15 days) insurance which is required in Ontario Canada. When I went to the DMV, after waiting for over an hour, I was told that the temp tag was for 30 days, and I would need to show proof of 30 days of insurance before they would sell me the tag. We called our insurance at home a couple times to see what we could do, had them speak to the DMV staff, but neither would give in. I called the PO to explain why the truck was still in his driveway... and he told me it was no problem etc. I spent the next hour looking at local storage places, renting a tow dolly, etc. By mid afternoon the PO was getting cranky. I decided to try a different DMV office.

Problem 2. We found another DMV in the next county over, Seminole County where our hotel was. Getting the temp tag was no problem... almost. After getting the tag ready, I expected to pay $7.50 and be on our way. The nice young lady behind the counter apologized for having to charge me 6% FL sales tax. It didn't matter that I was a non-resident, or even that I wasn't even registering the truck in my name yet. I called someone at Service Ontario (our DMV), and was told that whatever sales tax I was charged in Florida would be deducted from the sales tax I was required to pay in Ontario. I figured "no problem" and shelled out $800, grabbed the temp tag and raced back over to the PO's house.

Problem 3. I looked at the truck, and heard it run, but hadn't driven it. By now the PO wants the truck out of his driveway. I'd had a long day already, and I just want to get the truck over to our hotel so I can relax finally. The PO's asking me if I know how to drive a column-shift, and telling me its an old farm truck, blah blah blah... getting on my nerves. I get in and start it up no problem... then I go to put it in 1st, and the shifter will hardly move forward & back. I say screw it, yank it into 1st, and start driving out of his driveway.

Away we go! Right away, I was not expecting how slow the manual steering was! I almost went all the way across the far lane of traffic when turning right. What a newb! I got the truck to the hotel and parked it, had a beer and chilled finally. But I'm still really stressed about the shifter, and I can't see anything around me with little peep mirrors and sbw, and how low the gearing is, and just how primitive this thing is.

After supper I was feeling better. We went for drive together for the 1st time, to a gas station to fill up for the drive to Daytona next morning. I bought some WD40 to spray the shift linkages at the bottom of the steering column, but the problem was actually the pin that holds the shifter handle. Once I lubed it, we were good to go.

Problem 4 (my fault). I made sure to ask the PO ahead of time whether there was any issues locking the doors. The hotel we stayed at that night was in a sketchy-looking area, so I was ticked when I found the key didn't work in the passenger door. At that time, I didn't know that you could lock from the inside with the door handle, so we were parking my wife's Terrain really close so no one could open the door. Again... what a newb!

The next couple days were fun. The drive to Daytona was good... nice hotel on the beach... lots of bikes... lots of noise! We parked the Terrain and cruised around in the C10. We even took the C10 for a drive down the beach for some pics. On the Friday afternoon, we headed up to Jacksonville where we had a hotel reservation.

I guess I should've mentioned... before coming to Florida I'd looked into some storage facilities that I thought we might use, but I was afraid to book anything in case the truck broke down. My plan was to get to Fletcher Mini Storage in Fletcher NC, by 4pm on the next day... Saturday. We would put the truck in an indoor storage unit, then head for Bristol the next day, then home the day after that.

Problem 5. We were up and ready to go before daylight on Saturday morning. I was worried about potential electrical problems, so I wanted to avoid running the headlights... and it was foggy, so we decided to wait until 8 am to head for Fletcher NC. We had eight hours to do a six hour drive. No problem, right? Wifey waited until I started the engine, then she headed out, over to the far side of the highway to get gas and wait for me. As soon as she drove away, the engine died. I couldn't get the engine re-fired. My wife was across the highway wondering where I was, and finally came back after about 15 minutes. I checked the choke, checked for spark, sprayed quickstart (that I found in the glovebox) down the carb, etc. Wife noticed that she didn't smell gas (she's pretty sharp sometimes). There was still gas showing on the gauge, and I did see gas when I disconnected the fuel line... Anyway, I ran across the highway to the gas station, bought a jerry can and a gallon of gas, ran back and poured it in. Tried to start...she cranks but no fire. After a few more minutes I don't care if I flood it, and I start pumping the crap out of the gas pedal. It starts right up!

We head out... after filling the tank. We hit the I95 and head north. I have the GPS, and my wife is following. I figure 65 is good speed, and at 70 the rearview mirror shakes bad enough that I can't see whether I've lost the missus. We stop for gas after about 2-1/2 hours or so, filled up, and got some breakfast.

Problem 6. We get going again, running 65-70, and the GPS dies! I was having trouble with the cigarette lighter jack, so I figured maybe the GPS was running on battery then died. I knew I was going I95 to I26. We carried on until I needed gas again (3 hrs max per tank). We tried the GPS in the wife's car but no deal. Oh yeah, our Blackberries didn't have US data plans on them either, duh! At the gas station, I check a map and realize that we have a loooong way to go still to reach fletcher by 4pm. I take off, and run steady at 75-80 mph. The poor 283 is screaming with the 3.73 gears. When we start getting closer, this start getting pretty hilly! I'm racing down these mountains with a single master cylinder, and wondering whether a tierod is going to let go. Finally, I see a sign for Fletcher, but I don't have the GPS to tell me where to go. I had to choose to turn left or right off the Interstate. I turned right, and less than a mile up the road... we found it. We pulled in with 10 minutes to spare... and they were CLOSED. I couldn't believe it. Luckily, the family that owns the place lives nearby. We called the number on their sign, and the lady came right over to let us in. Sweet!

We were both happy to get the truck put away, and forget about it for a while! We stayed in Asheville that night, then headed for Bristol for a cold, wet Sprint Cup race, then home the next day.

Fast-forward to 6 weeks later. I borrowed a buddy's pickup, and rented a U-Haul trailer and dragged it down to NC. Way cheaper than a one-way over the border rental. Nice quick 12 hour drive. We had the C10 loaded and heading north on the same day. We put in 16 hours that day (wife's a trooper), then a nice 6 hour drive to Erie PA on sunday for some nice R&R, a soak in the hot tub... oh, and a shopping spree at Harbor Freight. We would have to wait until Monday to cross the border into Canada and complete the importation process. That went smoothly... except for one thing.

Problem 7. When I got to Service Ontario (our DMV), I was informed that whatever sales tax I paid in Florida is between me and the Seminole County Tax Collector. I tried to plead my case with the Tax Collector, and the Dept of Revenue, but no way. So I guess I can add that $800 to the price of a truck that I already thought I'd overpaid for.

I rationalize it like this: I could've bought a lower-priced truck, but I probably wouldn't have been able to spend the summer cruising around in it, like I have been. And we really had a lot of fun on these trips! It's only money...well at least that's what the wife says. LOL

We got the C10 home. All I needed to fix was the horn to pass the safety certification. I've been driving it daily, and having lots of fun.

So far, I picked up a 63 steel grille to replace the 64-66 grill that the PO was running. I'm hoping to get it chromed.

My plan is to put it away for the winter and concentrate on getting the stance how I want it. Probably a 4-6 static drop, power brakes, and steering. I'm also planning a BBW conversion. Oh, and a T5 or T56 before I blow up the 283.

We'll see how it goes after that.

Holy smokes... sorry for being so long-winded!

Here's a couple pics:
Attached Images

Johnny_Lamebridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:27 AM   #2
hopped up

Re: My '63 C10 "I'd rather be driving" Project

Nice truck ! Great story too! That makes the truck more valuable to me, making memories right away !!
hopped up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:51 AM   #3
Chris Coufal

Nice truck! Thanks for sharing!
Chris Coufal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:28 PM   #4
Bomp

Sweet truck, great story and dude,,,,,, You Sir have ONE COOL WIFE AND AWESOME TRUCK!!!
After 12 years my wife finally accepts me buying trucks and tools.

$800 is peanuts to the Priceless Memory you and your wife have with the truck.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 01:06 AM   #5
63c102013

Very nice truck. Your trip sounds as eventful as mine was when my dad and I drove to Georgia to pick up my 63. It's funny that you mention having a hard time getting a tag because I live in Seminole county and they are such a pain to deal. Nice truck though and good luck on the build
63c102013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:11 PM   #6
Johnny_Lamebridge

Hey guys, thanks for the nice comments. I'm looking forward to getting started on some mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63c102013 View Post
I live in Seminole county and they are such a pain to deal
Really? Is the DMV easy to deal with anywhere? LOL
Old 09-21-2014, 07:31 PM   #7
Ta2Don

Great Story, Great Truck, Great Memories, Serious Dedication!!!

Welcome aboard… watching...
Proverbs 27:17
US Air Force Retarded errr Retired
My '65 Stepper Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533920
My '60 Rusty Patina Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post7402266
My '72 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post7204359 SOLD
Ta2Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:05 PM   #8
rusty76

Really cool story. Glad you made it home. These darn trucks are a lot of fun, but man they can test you especially when the PO gets their greasy hands on them, lol. Cool story and glad you got to go to Bristol. What a track.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:03 AM   #9
1963c-10

Just caught up on this build. Great story and one great looking truck!!!!!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:27 AM   #10
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Great story! And awesome truck!
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:39 PM   #11
CRGRS 66

Epic story buddy! Now... get to work!!!

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
CRGRS 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:46 PM   #12
cooperhw

Awesome truck, story, and wife. A "Trooper" is an understatement. She's a gem.
My Dad used to ask me "how in the world did you talk her into this"? I got one too. Lucky us.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:34 PM   #13
Johnny_Lamebridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp
You Sir have ONE COOL WIFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhw
A "Trooper" is an understatement. She's a gem.
Yep, it sure helps having a spouse that enjoys the same things that we do... or is at least willing to tolerate us.

@johnny_lamebridge on Instagram
Old 11-07-2014, 12:47 AM   #14
Johnny_Lamebridge

I found a BBW roof on a 64-66 truck. After cutting it off I could see there was some old collision damage on the backside of the cab where the box got push up against it. There was a couple kinks on the inner panel, near the driver-side door jamb.

It took a little while to get the glass out. The window seal insert, or whatever its called, was so deteriorated that instead of being one long "rope", it came out in short little pieces that looked like black licorice Nibs.

I cut around the edges with a zip wheel, then ground off the spot welds on the back of the cab. once I got it out, it was just a matter of getting all the spot welds ground off.

A little hammer and dolly work smoothed out the kinks, but opened up a crack. I'll weld it up on the weekend. Then it'll be ready for media blasting and a coat of epoxy primer.

Question
Can anyone tell me what the row of holes along the bottom of the inner panel are for? Are they original?
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2014, 06:36 AM   #15
cooperhw

1st off "score on the big back window. 2nd as to the screw holes; I am new to these years trucks but I have seen similar holes before on a truck I bought. it had a "pouched pocketed thing that went across the back where you could put extra gloves, maps, etc. stretched all the way across and hung down with pockets facing upwards. black in color if I remember right.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:18 PM   #16
Johnny_Lamebridge

cooperhw, thanks for that info. I've been searching for a pic but have yet to find one. I'm guessing they weren't too common.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:27 AM   #17
CRGRS 66

Big back window swap info,
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=527836
Also check in to flips72 build, think he did a bbbw swap

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
Old 11-11-2014, 12:34 AM   #18
CRGRS 66

Another one, found this one in the FAQ's
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=613908

Old 11-11-2014, 01:04 AM   #19
Johnny_Lamebridge

Craig, thanks for those links.

I'm anxious to get started! I have to get my inner cab panel over to the media blaster tomorrow. I'm planning to get the truck off the road and into the shop this weekend. Its going to be fun...

Old 11-11-2014, 08:52 AM   #20
Dubnova

Great thread and a great story. I hope you hang on to that truck for a long time. It's kinda funny if you think about all of the stuff a guy goes through in life time. NICE FIND on the wife and truck.
Dubnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:24 PM   #21
tune_1

Great story, great looking truck. Keep us posted on the changes and we like pictures.

Dwight
tune_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:01 PM   #22
Johnny_Lamebridge

My plan is to get my truck off the road for the winter, but first I needed to complete some odd jobs around the house. While my BBW inner panel was out for media blasting, I used my C10 to haul some plywood out to the shop, where I partially built some cabinets for my garage. I then used the C10 as a work platform to hang the cabinets. I'll make some face-frames and cabinet doors later when I get some more free time.

Next day, I hauled my snowblower out for a weld repair on the auger, oil changed, and all lubed up for the winter.

So happy to get this stuff done!
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2014, 11:40 PM   #23
Johnny_Lamebridge

So, when I got my BBW panel back from media blast I was kinda disappointed that there so many pinholes due to rust. The truck I cut the panel came off had a leaky roof, so the inside of the panel had a lot of rust, while the outside looked pretty good. It's that primo Canadian sheet metal, lol.

I'm definitely not a body man. The last sheet metal work I did was 8 years ago, and that was welding extensions on the tank on my Softail. In fact, the last time I did body work on a car was probably twenty years ago, and I oxy-acetylene brazed all the patches in. Since then I've played around with welders, and I'm happy that we have a couple Mig welders in our shop, 110 and 220 volt, and I have my own Tig welder. What a difference! I actually enjoyed welding up all those holes using the little Mig.

I used a little piece of aluminum as a backer for filling the holes. The radius on the edge of the aluminum piece fit perfectly into the bend in the sheet metal.
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2014, 07:00 PM   #24
Johnny_Lamebridge

Well, the rear glass came out pretty easily. The PO didn't have the rope insert installed in the window seal. I'm lucky it didn't fall out on its own.
The gas tank came out no problem.

Now I just need to figure out how I can control all the sparks when cut the sheet metal.

Any ideas? A tarp?
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2014, 07:54 PM   #25
Larry64

Get a fiberglass blanket from any welding supply house.
Larry
Larry64 is offline   Reply With Quote