The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-27-2020, 02:52 AM   #201
dsraven

Re: norms 55 chevy pu build

Another informative site is
lsenginediy.com
They have many topics including oil pan choosing and wiring. My oil pan was the 99-01 era I believe. It fit well. I used a mustangIII IFS in mine and set the engine low enough so clearance from pulley to power steering rack was minimal.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:20 AM   #202
dsraven

sorry, I forgot you are running a camaro front clip. in that case, can you run the camaro ls swap engine mount adapters, exhaust components etc for a corresponding ls swap into the year of camaro that your front clip donor vehicle was? will that place the engine too far forward or back? if you could do that then the exhaust etc could be sourced for that camaro swap since the parts would have to fit around the donor vehicle frame and suspension. maybe that is what you have done but ran into engine location issues?
if it doesn't work, simply bolt on some engine mounts to the factory locations on the block, no adapters, then mock up engine/trans between the frame rails where they need to be, block them well in place after doing your driveline angles, them make up some new frame mounts to accept the engine mounts at their new location or make up some adapter plates to move the engine mounts to their new required location so they match up with the frame mounts. stiff cardboard makes a good template material. thin plywwod is also good and flexes less. sometimes I will template with cardboard but then fab a set of mock up parts from plywood of the same thickness as the steel I want to use when done. that way there is no room for cardboard flex and it also considers the thickness of the material. follow?
Old 11-27-2020, 11:26 AM   #203
dsraven

here is a site or two that sell wiring for ls swaps.

https://www.wiringspecialties.com/ls-swap-kits-parts/

https://www.psiconversion.com/

https://www.lsxmag.com/tech-stories/...rness-dilemma/
Old 11-27-2020, 11:43 AM   #204
dsraven

here is an ls swap kit for the firebird chassis. anything look familiar? seems like a swap kit like this should solve the engine mount problem as long as it doesn't place the engine too far forward or back. you need space for a fan and clearance for the heads on the firewall. or notch the firewall i guess. anyway, just curious what your engine mount kit looks like in comparison.

http://www.brphotrods.com/products/2...cts/index.html
Old 11-27-2020, 11:44 AM   #205
dsraven

if you scroll to the bottom and check the pics, an adapter like pic 10 seems easy enough to fab up.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:30 PM   #206
washington blue

Well, well, well, seems that good things happen with a little education. Thanks to a Utube video of a guy restomodding a 77 camaro I learned that my engine mounts were indeed backwards. I took the AC pump off along with it's mount and flipped the engine mounts 180 degrees, also a touch of grinding here and there and suddenly everything almost fits. Here is a pic of the pass. side mount in backwards.
Attached Images

washington blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 11:32 PM   #207
washington blue

And here is a pic of the same mount done the right way.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2020, 11:41 PM   #208
washington blue

Now the engine is further back, I can lower it down, I was even able to put a motor mount bolt in the driver side. I could not get the bolt in the pass. side as the oil pan is hitting the 80 firebird crossmember a little bit. The green tape shows where the pan is touching the crossmember so I will be researching pans next. You can see in the pic the engine only has to come down about 1/2 inch to get the bolt through the black mount and through the gold mount too. Question, do I need 2 special bolts here or can I use a regular bolts?
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2020, 11:52 PM   #209
washington blue

Now that the engine is starting to fit better I see that the power steering pump will fit nicely in the 2005 stock engine location. Here is a pic of the pump and it's pulley nicely clearing the steering gearbox - - - soo cool! I have no idea what to do about the 2 hoses for the power steering, you guys reading this, have you done a nice hose adaption, I'm open to suggestions, thanks ahead. I will have to relocate the AC pump so more research is needed, nice that that is the only thing I must move. I have left the stock belt driven fan on for now to represent an electric fan and the space it would take up, - - I can now install the stock 55 radiator and have about 1/2 inch between it and the fan blades. You can see the bolt I put in the motor mount on this side, it's just a regular bolt, at least for now.
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2020, 12:00 AM   #210
washington blue

I have not put the cab on yet so I am not sure about the clearances there. My measurements crude that they are show it might not hit the firewall. A small hump in the transmission cover will be needed tho. Another reason I have to get a new oil pan is the amount the pan is below the crossmember - - about 3 1/2 - - 3 3/4 inches. I have the tape measure touching the crossmember in this photo. Thanks for looking, Norm
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2020, 01:17 AM   #211
dsraven

same reason I changed the pan on mine. the camaro pan was about the same height as the cross member when done. also about the same height as the trans pan. really, the pan shouldn't be below the cross member by much or it becomes the low point

it seems like the general consensus on the camaro LS swap sites for your era of front clip donor car that the GM oil pan from the 98-02 LS1 camaro fits the best

GM part numbers 12558762, 12598151, 12628771

https://www.amazon.com/GM-Performanc...ZPGG0XH3M932DS

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...e,oil+pan,5562

you will likely need most or all of this stuff. some places sell a kit. you may be able to source some used stuff if you look around.

-oil pan
-oil filter
-oil
-brake cleaner or other cleaning solvent
-gasket
-sealer
-oil windage tray
-block off plate unless you can re-use the old one you have. some guys drill that plate and tap it for an oil pressure gauge fitting
-block off plate gasket
-oil pump pick up tube
-O ring for oil pump pick up tube
-dipstick to match the new pan depth
-dipstick tube
-oil level sensor, unless you can re-use the old one
-there is a new fangled oil pump pick up tube plate that allows 2 bolts to be used instead of a single where it bolts to the oil pump. not required but that O ring is a source of leakage on these engines

hope that helps
Old 11-29-2020, 01:21 AM   #212
dsraven

https://nastyz28.com/threads/lsx-swa...-bodys.171139/
Old 11-29-2020, 07:28 PM   #213
dsraven

kinda looks like the camaro pan has an indentation in about the right spot to clear the cross member.
when doing the floor bump try to make a smooth transition if possible. it helps with carpet fitment if you are doing that.
p/s pump looks like it will fit for sure. it will be even better when the pass side angles down over the mounts correctly.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:01 PM   #214
washington blue

Just learned a whole lot about steam tubes, thanks for the links.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:03 PM   #215
dsraven

Yep, lots of good info out there.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:51 PM   #216
washington blue

Thanks, the article says that if the engine is tilted back only front steam ports are needed. This engine has just front steam ports. I plan to have the tail shaft coming out of the transmission tilted down about 5 degrees to match the 5 degree upward tilt of the pinion gear. Is 5 degrees enough to use just 2 front steam ports? Also 5 degrees is with no load on the front springs.

Last edited by washington blue; 11-30-2020 at 12:39 AM.
Old 11-30-2020, 12:40 AM   #217
Black93GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
I tried the GM LS swap pan and it was terrible. In honesty it’s a truck SUV pan.. the 6.0 I built for my 67 Camaro was from an Escalade and it had the exact same pan. Waste of money.... it hangs so low you might as well paint a target on it.

The Holley swap pan fit much better. Fit great and was tucked up nicely. No longer the lowest point on the vehicle.

Last edited by Black93GT; 11-30-2020 at 12:52 AM.
Black93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 02:18 AM   #218
dsraven

Motion racing has a decent article on the steam ports and why you need them. Some will say route them to the water pump housing but that simply returns air back into the system. You dont really want that. Air equals a bubble which can mean pressure build up since air is compressible and expands when heated causing more bubbles. Air also doesnt absorb heat like coolant does so there is a chance that bubbles can cause hot spots around cyl heads which can cause detonation and other things that can cause catastrophic failures. If coolant cant touch metal it cant absorb the heat. Air bubbles take up real estate that the coolant needs. Best to vent all 4 corners of the engine if possible to get rid of bubbles. Some intake manifolds are pretty tight to the valley so that makes it hard to accomplish. Also, vent the steam lines in a "always uphill" run if possible ending in the rad near the rad cap so steam and pressure from the steam venting can get out past the rad cap. Just dont connect to the rad cap vent line, lol. Some rads have a hose connection near the cap and some dont, if you are buying a new rad.
Old 11-30-2020, 03:11 AM   #219
dsraven

http://www.billavista.com/tech/Artic...ble/index.html

Have you seen this? Pretty informative.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:56 AM   #220
dsraven

http://www.billavista.com/tech/Artic...t_1/index.html
Old 11-30-2020, 12:14 PM   #221
dsraven

http://www.billavista.com/tech/Artic...t_2/index.html

dunno if you seen this or not, part of the same page as part 1. anyway, this bella vista dude has a bunch of stuff on his own page. very informative. a lot of 4x4 stuff but a diff is a diff I guess, same for cooling systems and other write ups he has. it used to be on the pirate 4x4 page but that site has changed format or something so it looks different now than when I was there last. check out the tech articles if you have some time to burn off.
Old 11-30-2020, 12:24 PM   #222
dsraven

here is a pic of the fbody camaro pan on my ls engine. it shows the depth compared to the auto trans.
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2020, 06:36 PM   #223
washington blue

Went to Excessive Autosports today and spent time talking to them about oil pans and exhaust. I've known them forever and they are experts in custom car stuff. Also they are only about a half hour away from me. https://www.excessiveautosports.com/. I also got a pair of 2010 camaro exhaust manifolds to try and see if they fit. they fit like a glove. Only problem I see is the frame brace directly below them.
Attached Images

Last edited by washington blue; 12-01-2020 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:43 PM   #224
dsraven

some ls manifolds are stainless so they can be cut and welded if the flange is not right for you.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:19 AM   #225
washington blue

Yeah, I wish the flanges were angled back a little like the engine in your picture.