The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2020, 07:59 PM   #1
aharley

Wcpgwn '69 c10

...or, "What could possibly go wrong next?"

I've been lurking around on here for a few years, learning what I could and finding some cool gift ideas for dad (or mr. lead foot, an endearing term)

My grandfather bought this truck sometime in the mid/late '70s from the original owner. He purchased it (mainly) to haul around his model train. The wood bed has rails for the trains, and both the front of the bed and the tailgate have holes notched in them. The 8ft long engine barely fits!

I ended up with the train bug too, although I didn't jump in until he passed away. It became a hobby dad and I could enjoy together, and we ended up taking road trips in the truck as far as we thought it would survive.

It's got a 350 out of an ~'86 ish donor, never did get the full info from dad. TH400. Rust in the usual spots, though compared to some pictures I've seen on here I consider myself lucky!

Dad passed in February, so the truck will end up with me. The past two years had been plain foam with no seat covering. I got to try my hand at hog rings and it didn't turn out terrible. Firewall to the gas tank was plain metal, no riding barefoot in this truck (hot!)
aharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 12:58 AM   #2
yuccales

Re: Wcpgwn '69 c10

That's a good looking truck. I've seen our trucks haul a lot of things, but never seen one with a train in the bed!
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:01 AM   #3
gmc684x4

Nice looking ride with good family ties and even ties to the original owner are those his trains
Sorry about your dad
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:30 AM   #4
aharley

yuccales - thanks, I'm quickly finding out why dad was a lead foot. Fun thing to scoot around town in. We always got lots of comments on road trips. A stop in to Summit in Sparks, NV to check out some truck parts and one of the employees came out to look at our caboose.

gmc684x4 - the train was purchased from a local SoCal guy in 1971, funny enough the engine was completed in 1968. It's older than the truck! I don't know who the original owner of the truck was.

Grandpa ended up selling the train in 2007 before he passed, I was fortunate enough to get it back in 2017. Dad's first time pulling a trailer, just around town some. That's him smiling away, probably because he didn't cream anyone on the way home!

and speaking of hauling things around, I volunteered myself to deliver these CT90's to a relative in Lake Havasu. Also both older than the truck, probably hadn't been run since the early '70s. Anyways, we're getting ready to start the trip home, I'm turning the steering wheel to get out of their driveway and I suddenly find the wheel doing a 360 with zero effort. Oops, the rag joint broke and the steering column is now totally separated from the power steering box. I can see my relative's jaw drop, so here we are parked back in their drive way underneath the truck looking at this rag joint that's in three different pieces. I'm sure glad it happened there, he was a contractor and had the required tools to install a new one...plus some guidance, since I've never actually seen a rag joint before!
aharley is offline   Reply With Quote