The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2006, 01:00 PM   #26
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: I hate e-bay....

I think a lot of times the sniping is done by friends to drive the price up.That may be why the higher bidder retracted and put you back in the bidding.They bid til you quit then retract and you buy it for more than it would have bought.They are just trying to get your highest price.
For instance you bid $200 and bid up to $260 to get it then stopped when the sellers friend bid it to $270.The sellers friend retracts and the seller then gets the $260 from you instead of $200.$60 on the good buddy system
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 04-14-2006 at 01:00 PM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 03:13 PM   #27
jimmydean

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland
I think a lot of times the sniping is done by friends to drive the price up.That may be why the higher bidder retracted and put you back in the bidding.They bid til you quit then retract and you buy it for more than it would have bought.They are just trying to get your highest price.
For instance you bid $200 and bid up to $260 to get it then stopped when the sellers friend bid it to $270.The sellers friend retracts and the seller then gets the $260 from you instead of $200.$60 on the good buddy system
Sniping prevents that though. If I don't bid $200 until 5 seconds before the auction is over, than there is no chance of a buddy bidding my bid up. That's not to say a buddy couldn't bid up the other 5 people bidding.
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 06:39 PM   #28
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

PanelDeland, I don't think that worked in this situation. After old boy retracted, my 260 high was dropped back down to 210. Of course that doesn't mean he wasn't trying to do it like you said. It just didn't work out like that for him. It was the next couple that put it over the top.
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote