The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
hpcgmc

Is this cab repairable?

I'm starting to work on the rust in the cab of my 67 GMC. The rust is pretty bad on the footwells, kickpanels and rocker panels on both sides. Here are some pictures.

It looks like I'm going to have to replace the footwells (or maybe the whole floor), kickpanels and rockers. Are there replacement body panels for the kickpanels? Should I give up on this cab and look for a cab without rust? I expect a rust free cab will be hard to find.

I'd prefer to keep this cab, since I feel it's the heart of the truck I've had since I was 14. I'm not a welder, but am considering learning just for this project - is this something a novice welder could repair?

Thanks for any input.
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
Rochlow

Re: Is this cab repairable?

That portion is very repairable. I am in the process of doing it myself. It does look like you are going to need new rockers and possibly inner rockers. Once you get the outer rocker off it will tell you if you need further replacement panels.

I bought a welder and plasma cutter in February of this year and jumped in to do this rust repair with both feet.

The kickpanels, outer rockers, inner panels and lower pillars all can be bought from vendors on the board here. I bought a cab kit from Bill at Athey's here on the boards, but there are other vendors that have the same panels.
Rochlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Looks like mine! But you can see the road through mine!

I plan on doing mine soon as well. Very repairable area.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
burb71

I'm not a body man by any stretch, but thats not bad at all,
In fact thats very common rusting spots in our trucks and all the replacement panels are available.
burb71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
70c10stepside

I wish mine was that nice lolol
70c10stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
hpcgmc

Here are pictures of passenger side.
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
leddzepp

Since you live in California, I would look for another cab, Unless you are wanting to weld and replace panels and learn how to do bodywork. I see rust free cabs in junkyards here all the time. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Posted via Mobile Device

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #8
BMERDOC

Why not save it and learn another skill in the process? Seems too many are still being scrapped and if its close to your heart...well. My cab has a lot of issues and I plan to keep it and fix it.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:46 PM   #9
midniteblues

that dosent look bad at all pretty much the norm around here too have to replace that part of the floor oh yhea and the other part of the floor and that other part and the cab supports and the cab corners and the inner rockers and the cab braces and the inner....ok I'll stop.... you guys in cali have it easy
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:57 PM   #10
Mustard72

I'm only a novice welder, if that, and my cab was way worse than that. Then again, I'm not done with mine yet, either. I think a lot of folks would have said mine wasn't worth repairing, but like you, I've had the truck since I was 16 (42 now), and it just wouldn't be the same with a different cab. But, it sort of depends on how much time you have to do the project, too. Novices like us take a long time to do these types of jobs. Plus, being in CA (rather than northern Wisconsin, where I am), you might be able to find a pretty solid cab for a good price.

A decent MIG welder setup makes it pretty easy to weld the sheet metal required for these types of jobs. I was a little bit nervous about burning through or warping the crap out of everything when I started on the body panels, as all I had welded before was thicker steel projects, but as long as you get the welder set right (practice a bit on some scraps to dial it in) and take your time welding a little here and then a little there, and then back to where you started, etc., it's really not that bad. Plus there's lots of folks here that know tons about these trucks and how to do this kind of work.

Don't let your lack of experience with the welding/body work scare you away from the job. Everybody had to start somewhere. You'll just have to sit down and figure out if you want to devote the time to futzing around with your cab or if you would rather just swap cabs.

Good luck.

Old Mustard, 1972 Chevy C20, 350, TH350, 4.10 Dana 60 rear, owned since I was 16 in 1986
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=545356

Blue Bell, 1987 K20, 6.2L Diesel, TH400/NP208, 4.10 gears

Ustahav 1976 K10, 350/350/203, Gov Loc, Yooper beater trail truck.
Mustard72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #11
68bowtie

most non-coastal california cabs are not as bad as yours, but you're likely going to need to replace the kick panel, pillar, and rockers even if you find a better cab. every cab i've seen has rust in the exact same place, just not as much. any cab you buy is going to need those repairs if you want to fix it right anyway, so you may as well replace it and keep it since its YOURS. The other good thing is this area is usually well hidden so you don't need to be a perfectionist...

There is a good thread on here with pictures but I can't find it at the moment.

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #12
RWB-713

As alot of people have said, it's definately repairable, I'm also in the process of doing mine. It all comes down to your willingness to learn & the time & effort you're willing to put in. It's ALOT of work, and it can be tedious and discouraging. I've been on and off on my truck for over 3 years now (time/schedule constraints), and i absolutley HATE rust repair, and body work in general. But it's an eperience I wanted to go through, so I could learn, and have the satisfaction of knowing when it was said & done, I was the one who put in the hours, and developed the skills to accomplish the project.

Check my build thread HERE if you'd like to see how much of my cab I had to cut apart, and the kind of progress that's been made. Many of the build threads on here have gone through the same decisions & processes you're looking at, and contain huge amounts of tips & tricks to help you along the way!

I wish you luck, and most importantly, stay motivated!
RWB-713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #13
old Chevy guy

That looks better than every cab I've ever fixed in New England. Thats practically mint on the East Coast! Not a hard fix at all in my opinion,especially if you like the truck.
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:43 PM   #14
Elchopperfreak

Do it!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Elchopperfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:46 PM   #15
69chevy lwb

thats not bad at all heres mine all the cab mounts were just the corners left i can believe my cab didnt fall the inner and outer rockers, all 4 cab supports, kick panels, bottoms of the outer cowl, and the a and b pillars were replaced i did all this when i was 70 took about 80 hours start to finish but the rust is gone killed it with por 15

69chevy lwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #16
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

When you start "cutting'....it will be a bigger mess than you "once thought it was'! Not bad like an illinois truck, but she will be a tick of work? Crank the welder up, & show the midwest "boys", how you fix that tin crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:22 PM   #17
Hawghauler

If you are attached to this cab, it's worth repairing. You can get all of these sections you'll need to replace from numerous venders, and their not all that expensive. Just remember when welding sheet metal don't weld more than 3/4" before moving to a different spot, then when it's cooled off come back and weld some more. This should help to prevent warping. Don't forget also that grinding the welds can heat it up enough to warp as well. These are the worst mistakes I've made when I first started. Another thing, don't let it overwhelm you. If you can't afford, or don't have the time to do it all at once, do one section at a time. In the end I think you'll be feeling alot of satisfaction that you did it yourself, and grow even more attached to that cab. Good luck

1967 c10 Longbed (Hawghauler/Icy weather transport)
2003 BMW K1200GT (Rain bike)
2007 Softail Deuce (Sun bike)
2009 Ultra Classic Electra Glide (Everything else bike)
Hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:02 AM   #18
hpcgmc

Thanks for all the input. 69Chevy - that looks like alot of work, but it came out looking great.

I didn't mention that I also have a hole in my roof from prior owner installing a sunroof -and the damn thing has been leaking since about 1980!

I'll keep my eye out for a VERY clean cab locally, but if I don't find one, I guess I'll go to work in this one. I think it's unlikely that I'll find one that needs no rust repair, but anything is possible.

A local community college has a welding class starting in January - I'll sign up for that just in case - I'm sure I'll need to weld SOMETHING on this truck, even if it's not the cab.

In the meantime, I'll try to stop the rust with RustSeal and figure a way to patch the holes in the floor so I can drive around while I sort things out.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #19
dhaymaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69chevy lwb View Post
thats not bad at all heres mine all the cab mounts were just the corners left i can believe my cab didnt fall the inner and outer rockers, all 4 cab supports, kick panels, bottoms of the outer cowl, and the a and b pillars were replaced i did all this when i was 70 took about 80 hours start to finish but the rust is gone killed it with por 15

69chevy lwb - To use an often overused word, that is AWESOME work! Very impressive to save a cab in this condition.

hpcgmc - You can do it if you set your mind to it. I've seen a lot of great results from board members who started out without any real body work experience. Do you have anyone locally that can advise and help talk you through things when you get a little discouraged. I've found having that kind of support can make a lot of difference and help you get through a project! Good Luck!!

"The DRBMan"

2014 Audi A4 (The Wife's Daily Driver)
2017 HD Ultra (The Cruiser)
2003 HD Fatboy (The Ride)
2001 Chevy Suburban (Another back up!!)

For the first time in forever, not a single 67-72 Chevy truck, Blazer, or Suburban on the property! Basically retired and getting the new Motorhome ready for some traveling. Doing a bit of work on the house getting it ready to sell! LOL!!
dhaymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:34 PM   #20
Tinkermc

from a body mans site heck yea it can be repaired and on that truck very easily.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #21
Southern Shaker
Account Suspended

Yup yup yup it is my cab had the same problem
Southern Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #22
Daves70

I would be more overwhelmed by repairing the roof from the sunroof.That floor is'nt bad at all for around here. If you can find a good one without the sunroof I would swap it out though.
Daves70 is offline   Reply With Quote