The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2002, 09:20 PM   #26
Church
Carolina Classic Trucks

My electrical engineer has not had any time to play with it. He just changed jobs, so maybe he will have a little more time now. This switch allows the use of the original wiper motor. You will have to modify the wiring though. We had it working the other day so maybe it will not be too much longer, Sorry about the delay.
Old 11-01-2002, 10:02 PM   #27
guitarman
Do it well or don't do it

Hurry up!
LOL

I want one too.

Excellent paint and body site:

http://www.autobody101.com/

Visit my Web Site

http://home.attbi.com/~agfosteriii
guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 11:44 PM   #28
ThreeQuarter

Quote:
Originally posted by Church
Sorry about the delay.
I get it.
ThreeQuarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 11:52 PM   #29
Brewski*

Built a hide-a-way (under the dash rheostat) delay switch on my '67 when I was in highschool electronics(1980). Worked awsome you could set your factory switch on high and it woud jam across the windshild and you would not have the anoying slow streaks. The kit was simple and all you had to do is solder on the componets. I will see if I can find out how to get them.
Brewski* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 12:03 AM   #30
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Like my dear, departed pappy used to say: This truck has two speed wipers, to fast and faster.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 10:00 AM   #31
SCOTI

I don't know if this will help but DetroitSpeed & Machine has a conversion kit that changes 1st generation F-body wipers over to modern w/delay. If anyone can verify how much difference (size, mounting position, # of studs) there is between the camaro & truck wiper motors this could be easier since they have done the engineering for us.
I'm currently trying to do this for my new 74 since these have the switch on the dash as well. The 73- 77(I'm guessing) had the 2 position switch for hi/low functions but instead of a dial to activate the switch like 67-72's you activate the wipers by toggling the switch to the right from the home/off position. I found that 78-mid 80's malibus/caminos/monte carlos have the same set-up but they came optionally w/a delay built in to the switch. You toggle the switch to the right one click for low & then turn the rheostat for the desired speed or toggle it to the right twice for high. I'm currently researching the wiring schematic differences between the 2.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 11:40 AM   #32
44th Miss Inf

Delay wipers

My 81 has original delayed wipers, but the only difference is the switch, (has extra position w/rheostat) and a small harness (that contains the 'brain') that plugs in between the switch and harness. I know it is not aftermarket, as I have the build sheet. (I'm the 2nd owner, a friend's father brought it new and I got it from him when he was gonna trade it in)
Been trying to figure out if there is a way to modify the switch to use this setup. Working on a 70 CST that I would like deleys on.

Any one else seen/tried this setup?
Thanks,
Virgil

Last edited by 44th Miss Inf; 11-02-2002 at 11:46 AM.
44th Miss Inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 12:32 PM   #33
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I posted on this thread before I started driving a school bus, which happened in mid-September.

I have driven a Crown bus, which has a delay system, with delay being controlled by the amount you turn the knob. I don't think using a headlight switch is viable....all you are doing with that is controlling the voltage that feeds the instrument panel lights, not a time variable. If that was so, you'd see your instrument panel lights go on and off at regular intervals. I don't think the technology existed (in minature circuit format) when our trucks were built, at least applicable to our vehicles. I could be wrong, but trucks were not on the list of possible applications.

I am going to contact a bus parts supplier next week to see what is in his inventory. The knob on the switch looks like the 73-up switch, so ours may be adaptable. I feel that this is doable, but space may be the problem. I have been told that there are only four wires from the switch, but I don't know what they are all for. Okay, one is ground and one is power, duh. But, the other two....could one be for the feed TO the motor and one for the washer?????? Could be.

As for your instrument panel lights going on and off at some indeterminate interval, it AIN'T the switch, necessarily. It also isn't a function of time that is controlled by the light switch.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 04:02 PM   #34
bigvinnie

aftermarket unit on ebay.... for about 10 bucks, put it outa sight under the dash and forget about it... I have one similar that's been working well for about 20 years.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1871635213

Recently replaced the 30 year old wiper motor with a stock unit, huge difference in speed over the old worn out one... sometimes the simple solutions are just as good as the complicated ones...

72 Stepside Project

Last edited by bigvinnie; 11-02-2002 at 04:10 PM.
bigvinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 08:19 PM   #35
Sierra

I'm thinking of it right now, since it's been drizzling all day and probably will all day tomorrow, too. Any progress, anybody???
Sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 06:01 PM   #36
SCOTI

ChevLoRay, keep us informed on your search results as the bus set-up sounds like the easiest to adapt w/o using a remote mounted switch.

44thMissInf, Was that switch mounted on the dash or column?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 06:20 PM   #37
Piston
Account Suspended

Thats the basis of a intermittant wiper, a rheostat.
In a Int' wiper system, when you turn the knob to adjust the speed this sends a specific amount of voltage to the INT' control board. The board is what actually sends the voltage pulse to the wiper motor.

For instance: Most gm columns (early model trucks used slider switch on dash) from 78-87 used an adjustable switch which was also the handle for the turn signals. The switch is nothing more than a rheostat with 4 positions (OFF/LOW/HIGH/INT). The headlight switch, although designed different, will work in exactly the same manor.

Pull switch to first position:
If the knob is turned to the left (as if to turn on the dome light), this would be the LOW position.
If teh knob is turned to any other position, this would vary the resistance to teh control module therefore changing the delay time for intermittant wipers.
Pull switch to second position:
HIGH speed wiper.

This setup works... The only problem is finding the correct wiper motor that interchanges with our truck.
Thats what im working on now... the wiring diagram is 90% complete (Depending on the model of wiper motor I go with)

Last edited by Piston; 11-04-2002 at 06:25 PM.
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote