The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2002, 07:59 AM   #1
nroden

K & N Filter

My grandparents neighbor gave me a K & N Filter and the chrome breather for a 350 4bbl since he'd never use it agian since he no longer has anything that would use it. I just wanted to make sure if this was one by compareing of a pick of another one. Also are these good to use on gravel since the holes are so big and do they let dirt in? Tell me what you think of them, before I put it on.
Retired and in the dry... still runs. I now drive Red '01 Ford Focus... better MPG!!!
nroden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 08:15 AM   #2
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

I have a 14x4 K&N on the longhorn, & due to the tilt front end, it runs in a dustier enviroment. I plan to add a prefilter to help the situation, & would reccomend it on gravel roads. Check into Summit, or Jegs for the prefilters(just a foam sock to rap the element. the beauty of the K&N is that it can be cleaned & reoiled. The initial cost seems a little high, but with 14" open elments @ $8-9 a pop(paper), it doesnt take too long to pay for itself. to answer the Q, I dont think it will be a problem running the filter in gravel..........crazy AL
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 08:27 AM   #3
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Oops, here is a link.... http://store.summitracing.com/partde...57#largerimage
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 10:39 AM   #4
yellowgmc
Getting cabin fever?!?!?!

i.ve had k&ns in my last 2 trucks and my wifes car and had no problems. the oil seems to grab the dirt and hold it. if your worried about dirt getting in you could wash it a little more frequently. ive had no problems. my buddy runs one on a bronco II with a 5.0 and 38's in mud runs with no problems. that thing comes home covered in mud. i say run it. you may even get a little hp boost as well. jmo tho.
oops can't type

1972 GMC 1500
1994 F-150 XL 4x4

Tact is for people not whitty enough to be sarcastic
yellowgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 05:58 PM   #5
Michael A. K. G

Actually, K&N recommends against too-frequent cleaning because they depend upon the dirt to do some of the filtering!

K&Ns research shows that they pass 1-20 micron particles. K&N won't tell you how this compares to paper filters, but it isn't good. Even Fram filters do better than that.

IMO, K&N is one of those products that has too much marketing. Their ping pong ball demo, if you have ever seen it, is extremely misleading.

Without working over the ENTIRE engine, removing one restriction (that isn't really all that significant) will not make any difference.
Michael A. K. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 06:48 PM   #6
Zkast
Account Suspended

The dirtier the situation the better when it comes to K&N filters.

Pre oil the filter to prime it so to speak, oil attracts dirt, as the dirt/dust particals build up the filter becomes more and more efficient. If you like you can even run a pre filter (sponge) which doesnt do much good unless your into off roading or dirt track racing where there are large particales that could clog the filter.

I definatly would run a KN if you already have it. I put on one every performance vehicle I have. There's a reason most of your racer's (nascar/dirt track/drag strip or where ever) use K&N.

Zkast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 07:32 PM   #7
Michael A. K. G

Do keep in mind that what "racers" do is not necessarily what is best for your truck.

Especially, wear and risk to the engine are both much less of a concern. A race engine doesn't have to last 100K+ miles. A street engine doesn't have to rev up to 8000+ RPM. They are different.

If your goals happen to match up with a racer, than maybe matching choices is called for. But if you ONLY drop in a K&N, you won't do anything. Race engines are engineered so that flow is maximized throughout the engine. This is an exceedingly important step. For instance, improving the intake without porting the heads will just increase the (absolute) pressure in the heads.
Michael A. K. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 08:15 PM   #8
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

I have a K&N filter in my 14x3 open element chrome air cleaner. I like it alot. I was able to get a deal on one at O'Reilly's for $36, not too bad considering they are around $45 from Summit. It's great when you are friends with everyone that works there . Anyway, i really didn't see much of a difference once i put it in, but i gave the truck a tune-up at the same time. It may have given me a whopping 5 hp. But, i can wash it, re-use it, and it does look pretty cool. I would just get one to save a little money, not for the not-so-great power gains they give you.
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 08:27 PM   #9
Zkast
Account Suspended

Quote:
Especially, wear and risk to the engine are both much less of a concern
Your joking right? While running a Pro stock in OKC for a few years, I dont remember every telling myself "It's ok, this $11k Sabastian 350 isnt important to me" and throw on a KN on it just because everyone else is and doesnt care about making it last. Not to mention filling the air bleeds of a BG carb with debris.

He asked opinions on an air filter he recieved.. my advise is still the same. USE IT, and never buy another paper filter again.

enough busting balls over an air filter.
Zkast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 09:09 PM   #10
greasemonkey

^what he said. I have better mileage with the K&N and I am not imagining it.
1987 Jimmy
2004 Tahoe
2005 Silverado 1500
2005 Silverado 3500
greasemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 11:36 PM   #11
Hooter
My other Love

Its mostly marketing. Same with fram, anyone ever taken apart a fram oil filter and compare it wit a premium napa oil filter, the napa filter is by far better and is the only oil filter that i will run on any of my vehicles
  • 77 fully loaded silverado (back in the backyard for a little while longer)
  • 1980 BMW 320i (back in the garage finally)
  • 1981 f@*d f150 4x4 (Robert red ford) tried to kill me
  • 1972 Honda ct 90 trailbike
Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com AC/DC RULES!!!
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 12:23 AM   #12
mikep
Used to have a truck

Was it Hot Rod or PHR that did an article on K&N a few months back ? Actually it was performance filters in general. I believe the consensus was that they didnt gain any HP with the K&N versus a paper Fram filter.

Personally I'd rather change the paper filter every year or so than go through the pain in the ass of cleaning and oiling the K&N on a regular basis especially given the fact I have never kept a completed project more than a few years and yes I have used them before. I still like the look of a fresh paper filter over the off yellow color of the K&N.