The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2020, 02:47 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Restoring A/C components?

Appears a common source for rebuilding A/C components is out of business or too busy. Couple questions, I'm looking for a factory appearance with R134A, recommendations for source to?

1. POA & Expansion Valve rebuild. The plating on both is likely good as is, but I'm open to the option for re-plated.

2. I assume a reproduction evaporator core? I have the old one, it was dry a long time, probably no good, though perhaps it's better to rebuild?

3. New Hoses & Muffler assembly

4. New Dryer & Condenser to fit

Not sure on the compressor yet, I may opt for a lightweight clone. Thank you
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:12 PM   #2
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Restoring A/C components?

Have you tried Classic air group? They will restore your stuff are sell you new stuff.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:54 PM   #3
dmjlambert

Re: Restoring A/C components?

Classic air group website is the same company or affiliated with Original Air for the evaporator housing restoration.

I bought their stage 3 kit, which is new everything under the hood, and sent my evaporator housing to them for restoration. I have not finished installation yet. I had some issues with the evaporator housing restoration from them and had to negotiate with them for partial refund and I finished the restoration myself. That slowed me down. I'm working on getting the A/C going, will probably take me some more weeks. I still like the direction I chose, and look forward to getting it going. Here's my thread on the subject.
https://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vbo...d.php?t=790246
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:46 AM   #4
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Appears a common source for rebuilding A/C components is out of business or too busy. Couple questions, I'm looking for a factory appearance with R134A, recommendations for source to?

1. POA & Expansion Valve rebuild. The plating on both is likely good as is, but I'm open to the option for re-plated.

2. I assume a reproduction evaporator core? I have the old one, it was dry a long time, probably no good, though perhaps it's better to rebuild?

3. New Hoses & Muffler assembly

4. New Dryer & Condenser to fit

Not sure on the compressor yet, I may opt for a lightweight clone. Thank you
The POA can be sourced thru ebay, found mine there cleaned and calibrated for 134. All the rest you have listed I sourced thru LMC Truck
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:35 PM   #5
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Thanks for the leads. Luck has it I don't have to refinish the housing less paint the steel. Door is good & fiberglass too. So I took this route, the RH side hasn't been done yet, but for comparison.

If you buff it out as opposed pack the polish on then it shows whatever stains there might be (white). I prefer it that way, though it's easy enough to hide those too.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 10-27-2020, 08:59 PM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Restoring A/C components?

That is awesome looking. I've never herd of it before. Looks great thanks for sharing this. I will have to get me some of that.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:26 PM   #7
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
That is awesome looking. I've never herd of it before. Looks great thanks for sharing this. I will have to get me some of that.
Runs about 35 bucks, but goes a LONG way. I buffed it three times, day or so in-between. Was looking for more a conditioner than hide.